Truth and Rumors: Smith and 49ers at odds. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Truth and Rumors: Smith and 49ers at odds.

I read the article on SF GATE and it says the 49ers wanting Alex Smith is part of Mike Nolan's draft disinformation game...
In 2004, top pick Eli Manning did not sign a contract until July 31, more than three months after the draft. His agent was Tom Condon, who also happens to represent Smith. The 49ers don't want three months of negotiation headlines. They want public support and help for a new stadium. They want a quick contract with their first pick. They want to be popular again.

IMO, to get the quick contract with their first pick, the 49ers will choose Aaron Rogers, not Alex Smith.

I heard on ESPN and NFL TotalAccess (a few days ago) that Dolphin's coach Saban and Alex Smith's agent met earlier this month and set contract parameters - and that Alex Smith's agent was OK with those parameters. That after those parameters were set, that Alex Smith came to Miami for a two-day visit.

IMO, either the team trades their 1st round pick on Saturday or Alex Smith will be a Dolphin on Saturday. And I think Alex Smith will be a Dolphin on Saturday.

=========
In My Opinion
=========

IMO, what SF does is not that important. If they take Rodgers, Miami has teams calling to trade up for Smith or Edwards. If SF takes Smith, teams are calling to trade up for Edwards. If SF takes Edwards, teams are calling to trade up for Smith.

If Miami doesn't like what they're being offered in trade, take the guy Saban wants.

ASUFinFan said:
boomer, will we be able to see your mock draft soon also who would you put money on that we draft as of now?

I will probably do one Friday night.

My money???? God only knows. My money is staying in my pocket. NO IDEA. One of about 10

fishypete said:
Maybe Boomer....but if they look at both of them as equals...taking the cheaper player who won't cause a headache is smart.

Thing is Pete, everything points to them NOT seeing them as equal.

bdmagnum said:
If Smith wants more than what Eli got last year, would the Dolphins be able to give him that kind of money?

The line of reasoning is that if Smith goes first overall he should make slightly more (due to inflation) than the 1st overall pick last year got.

If he goes 2nd overall to us then the comparison to Eli is no longer valid, but Condon will base his salary demands on Rivers' contract.

I see it as a win-win for us. As long as its Smith and Edwards on our board 1a and 1b. but Edwards is the guy who will make the trade, but I warn you, keeping Edwards can be so much more beneficial to us in the long haul (rather than trading down). Smith too.

Back
Top Bottom