TSN on the Jets | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TSN on the Jets

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
* The Jets lack secondary speed, one reason they play so much cover 2, which disguises this kind of weakness. This was a reworked secondary which held up remarkably well all season. But look for them to add speed in the offseason.

The playoff loss to the Raiders also exposed Chad Pennington's stunning lack of arm strength.

"We noticed in the tapes that his ball tends to float on longer throws," says Raiders secondary coach Ron Lynn. The Raiders jumped every one of his extended passes, looking for interceptions. This weakness will be a problem any time Pennington faces an elite secondary.

Pennington's performance on Sunday also exposed the stupidity of rushing to judgment about the abilities of any player. In the week prior to that game, stories galore were written about how he compares to Joe Montana. These were based on less than one season's work, hardly an indication of anyone's long-term abilities.

"We all have a knee-jerk reaction to a one-year success," says Raiders safety Rod Woodson. "The key to being a great player in the NFL is consistency over the years, not just one year. If Pennington is going to be the best thing, then what is he going to do next year? That is what he has to show."

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/paul_attner/20030113a.html

Sounds like good news for the phins!:D

We kept Penny pretty much in check when we played them, had it not been for Lucas, The Jet Reject, we would have won that game and swept the Jets...

Next year...next year...

I think Pennington will be a Gannon type of QB and the west coast offense fits him perfect, he'll be fine. However, we match up well against him and should be able to beat him.

I don't know if he will be as good as Gannon has gotten. I stated in another post that I think he is better than last year's phenom Brady, but that he will NOT be the next Montana, Elway or Marino. I think as long as he has quality people around him then he will be pretty succseful but drop him in Arizona or the Bengals and he would be swallowed whole by the sheer sucktitude. He is no miracle worker, people need to quit touting him as such. He is just in a system that suits him.

Back
Top Bottom