Tua Tagovailoa's aggressive mindset, not mistakes, matter most for Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa's aggressive mindset, not mistakes, matter most for Dolphins

I hope he continues to pick certain practices throughout the year and push him to be super aggressive. Results be damned in practice. Find the tightest possible window when it doesn't cost games.

Rather have a QB take some risks than to be super safe, checkdown king.

Can’t win the lottery if you never play. Just play responsibly lol

A few thing many did not take into account with Tua's horrible showing.

1. The aggressive play (Who cares about mistakes right now mindset) was expected from, and encouraged by Coach Flores.

2. He was making pass attempts in Possible tropical storm weather.

3. This is the same secondary that in a real game, no Monsoon weather, intercepted The best QB going right now in Mahomes...many times.

4. This is Tua's 1st time having camp to grow, get better, make mistakes...Unlike Mahomes, who had full camp to learn in year 1 (Disclaimer: No, I am not saying Tua is as good, let alone, better the Mahomes).

I am Tua fan and I am in agreement with the article. Tua was reluctant for several reasons as I see it:

1. He was injured. His hip was medically cleared, but that is different than being fully rehabilitated. Tua’s mechanics and confidence were affected.

2. Lack of practice. Rookie season, no OTA’s, minicamps except zoom, pre-season games. Tua’s off-season was focused on getting healthier, not getting together with players developing chemistry and timing. During camp and the first 7 weeks of the season, Fitz was getting the majority of reps with the 1st team, not Tua. If I recall correctly, the only day Fitz missed was when his mother died.

3. WR group. Clearly Tua did not trust the group of WRs he was throwing to. Parker, Williams, Gesicki, Hollins, Ford, etc. do not get Alabama open. Flo, Gailey, Fitz, Parker, and Tua himself discussed the need for Tua to trust the WRs that do not get separation, but use body position and win the 50-50 balls. One of the reasons I am confident Tua will be able to make the adjustment is because he has excellent ball placement, beyond being accurate. Fitz understood to throw the ball high in tight coverage to Parker and Gesicki, Tua will too. Most of Tua’s deep throws the first few games were to Grant. A couple of them he were overthrows by a good 5 yards and another resulted in a pick in the KC game the Grant bobbled.

4. OC. Gailey’s implemented a stripped down modified version of the playbook designed for Fitz.

All of the above have been addressed this offseason.

1. After 4 months of individualized training his hip is 100% full strength, and the injured side actually tested stronger than the non-injured side. Parker mentioned how Tua looks different throwing the football. Tua was hitting some shots down field in day 2 of minicamp and should only get better. Tua’s trainer estimated based on testing his injured hip was about 60% and had to rely more on arm than less on his lower body than usual when throwing. No is accusing Tua of having one of the strongest arms in the NFL. Now he is able to get more torque on his throws.

2. Tua was proactive in getting WRs together for practicing during the offseason building chemistry and timing. OTA check, minicamp check, and all indications are training camp and 3 preseason games with Tua getting 1st team reps are a go. Fitz is gone and this is clearly, 100%, Tua’s team now.

3. Grier / Flo adding Fuller, Waddle, Foster, and Wilson back provide the speedy WRs Tua had success with at Alabama, even if it is just Fuller and Waddle he is throwing to. No doubt Tua will further develop confidence in throwing to WRs winning the battle at the catch point.

4. New OC’s. Obviously this is a wildcard. The design of the playbook has been a collaborative effort that includes input from coaches and players and was referred to as a living playbook being continually modified. We will see how that plays out.

All indications are Tua is going to make significant strides this season and that includes success on deep passes.

Last edited:
A few thing many did not take into account with Tua's horrible showing.

1. The aggressive play (Who cares about mistakes right now mindset) was expected from, and encouraged by Coach Flores.

2. He was making pass attempts in Possible tropical storm weather.

3. This is the same secondary that in a real game, no Monsoon weather, intercepted The best QB going right now in Mahomes...many times.

4. This is Tua's 1st time having camp to grow, get better, make mistakes...Unlike Mahomes, who had full camp to learn in year 1 (Disclaimer: No, I am not saying Tua is as good, let alone, better the Mahomes).
Have to agree with everything you stated here, the fact is that Tua had no mini camp last year, was playing in a monsoon and was under orders from Flo to be more aggressive. Case closed, can't take to much from one bad practice

People don't seem to understand, throwing multiple INT's in a minicamp practices is NOT a bad thing. This happened with Patrick Mahomes his first offseason going into being a starter. He threw a ton of INT's and everyone was up in arms about they made a huge mistake trading Alex Smith. OTA's, and Mini Camp is where you tell your QB to throw what he see's and just let it rip. That's where they make the mental imprints or what and where they can throw the ball so next time they see that scenario he will remember that last time when I saw this and threw it there, it was bad.... This is how they learn, you figure out where and when they can throw it and where and when you shouldn't throw it

People don't seem to understand, throwing multiple INT's in a minicamp practices is NOT a bad thing. This happened with Patrick Mahomes his first offseason going into being a starter. He threw a ton of INT's and everyone was up in arms about they made a huge mistake trading Alex Smith. OTA's, and Mini Camp is where you tell your QB to throw what he see's and just let it rip. That's where they make the mental imprints or what and where they can throw the ball so next time they see that scenario he will remember that last time when I saw this and threw it there, it was bad.... This is how they learn, you figure out where and when they can throw it and where and when you shouldn't throw it

A few of us have said TT WILL learn what is a good pass in the NFL - often my throwing BAD passes and learning the hard way. Let him learn those bad lessons in camp. That's why Flo wants him aggressive. If he's still throwing 5 INTs a day in August, then I'll worry

I bet you think Tua is going to be better with more time to prep, a longer offseason, more weapons, a better oline, and more confidence as a veteran.

I bet you think he is going to throw double the amount of TDs than he did picks just like last year.

Back
Top Bottom