Tua Tagovailoa's aggressive mindset, not mistakes, matter most for Dolphins | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Tagovailoa's aggressive mindset, not mistakes, matter most for Dolphins

I bet you think Tua is going to be better with more time to prep, a longer offseason, more weapons, a better oline, and more confidence as a veteran.

I bet you think he is going to throw double the amount of TDs than he did picks just like last year.
1624547325101.png

I am not an Alabama fan so when the Tua talk started (at least a year before we drafted him) I started watching his film. Normally, when watching QB film I will try an predict the target based on the play design. Watching Tua's film, he consistently picked a more aggressive deep target than I predicted. And he was usually successful. It was shocking to me how aggressive he was. He was arguably more consistently aggressive than any other QB I'd ever scouted. Now part of that may have been that he had such good WRs that he was more comfortable being aggressive than most QBs usually are. But regardless, this is a QB with a naturally very aggressive play style. He may not be a QB that just throws up 50/50 balls all day (which I'm happy about), but if you're a WR that can get separation then he will target you deep.

I hate the phrase 'throwing 50/50 balls', because I think it's stunningly inaccurate.

The QB KNOWS where the WR is going, and if he throws the ball there... ahead of the receiver, to a place where the db is unable to reach... even when there is little separation, it is more of a 90/10 thing... This is especially true of deep passes where a safety does not have the ability to get ahead of the receiver.

Most actual 50/50 balls are over the middle passes where safeties and linebackers are coming into the play from the far side.

I think we've developed this narrative about Fitz (and others) throwing 50/50 balls as a sloppy (and inaccurate) way to describe what many people said was a strength of Tua when he came out of the draft, throwing receivers open. We've all spoken about the concept of 'throwing a ball where only the receiver can get to it'... but then many want to call these tight coverage shots a 50/50 ball... and that just isn't true.

U cant be scare pass ball down field in NFL. Being aggressive part of games. It hard talk about Tua because he has nt played enough games in nfl.. this yr will give me. Better understand of what type qb he will be..I got good read on herbert...

Miami's offense last year ran a ton of isolation plays. An example would be those 3x1 formations where the QB would just throw it up to where he expects the single WR/TE to be if he likes the match-up. These throws are generally made well before the target is open and with targets that don't tend to get much separation (Miami often used Parker, Williams, Hollins and Gesicki in that spot). The QB is not going through progressions. He's basically throwing it up to a spot where he hopes his target will have the advantage. I don't agree that it's a 90/10 thing, I'd say probably more like 70/30.

Miami's offense last year ran a ton of isolation plays. An example would be those 3x1 formations where the QB would just throw it up to where he expects the single WR/TE to be if he likes the match-up. These throws are generally made well before the target is open and with targets that don't tend to get much separation (Miami often used Parker, Williams, Hollins and Gesicki in that spot). The QB is not going through progressions. He's basically throwing it up to a spot where he hopes his target will have the advantage. I don't agree that it's a 90/10 thing, I'd say probably more like 70/30.
Two things...

1. I used to refer to those as 90/10 when Tee Higgins was at Clemson and other posters were calling those 50/50 balls. It never gained any traction. I was being conservative referring to Higgins in college b/c he was more like 95/5 at least. In reality the WR (Parker or Grant) and CB (X or Byron Jones) all factor into that ratio along with the ball placement.

2. I lived many years in Reno and still have good friends in Reno/Sparks I talk with regularly.

Last edited:
One more thing to consider that tilts these throws in the favour of the offense is the idea that... as long as there isn't a deep safety in the area, an overthrown ball is MUCH better than an underthrown one.

An underthrown ball truly is a 50/50 ball because both the offensive and defensive players have to stop what they are doing and come back to a spot, and this completely destroys the offense's advantage, but if you throw it so deep that only the leading player can get it (or along a sideline), the offense has a HUGE advantage... these balls are either incomplete or caught for a reception.

Why can't they simply state that he threw 6 TDs and 0 INTs the next day? Why is that so hard? Same thing on NFL Radio. I spent 10 minutes listening to Vick Carucci and Marvez moan about the 5 INTS and no reference to the next day's 6 TDS. None. It's like just don't tell YOUR side of the story people!

Last edited:
Why can't they simply state that he threw 6 TDs and 0 INTs the next day? Why is that so hard? Same thing on NFL Radio. I spent 10 minutes listening to Vick Carucci and Marvez moan about the 5 INTS and no reference to the next day's 6 TDS. None. It's like just don't tell YOUR side of the story people!
Foorball players in short pan...Does it really matter. No.all I can say.. what ever Tua need work on get it fix now..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom