Tuesday 8/1 Camp Observations | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuesday 8/1 Camp Observations

Quote from Grier himself from a Miami Herald article going into the 2019 draft:

“Grier, you see, had final say over the Miami drafts in 2016. And 2017. And 2018.

“Yes, I did,” he said Wednesday during his fourth annual pre-draft press conference. “It was a collaboration. As you know me, I’m not going to force a coach to pick a player. That doesn’t work. If a coach doesn’t want a player and I say, ‘No, we’re taking him,’ and then it works out one way or the other, it creates that animosity and the distrust. And it’s not worth it.

“You’ve been here long enough, you’ve seen a lot of that happen. So I’m not going to force any player on anyone. But, yes, I had final say.””

Source

It's really good that no one side of ball is dominant. Loving David Long stuff really good signs.

Quote from Grier himself from a Miami Herald article going into the 2019 draft:

“Grier, you see, had final say over the Miami drafts in 2016. And 2017. And 2018.

“Yes, I did,” he said Wednesday during his fourth annual pre-draft press conference. “It was a collaboration. As you know me, I’m not going to force a coach to pick a player. That doesn’t work. If a coach doesn’t want a player and I say, ‘No, we’re taking him,’ and then it works out one way or the other, it creates that animosity and the distrust. And it’s not worth it.

“You’ve been here long enough, you’ve seen a lot of that happen. So I’m not going to force any player on anyone. But, yes, I had final say.””

Source
Okay. Then yes, two (2016, 2018) of those three drafts were very good (3 all-pros, 1 PB). Even 2017 wasn't horrible.

Agree the organization needs to win playoff games to validate the approach.

Forgot to Mention Elijah Higgins blocking.

At least he knows how to square his body and center his opponent with a good athletic position.

This is not something the guy that left could ever do.
Higgins strikes me as a pretty interesting rookie to monitor. Durham Smythe will probably be the top TE this season and we know he's solid (but not flashy). However, Elijah Higgins converting to the TE role after playing for Stanford as a physical WR may have significant upside as a prospective weapon if he can block. He's also very intelligent.

This is great stuff @djphinfan đŸ„‚đŸ„‚

To me, the most encouraging thing is Tua spreading the ball around, short, middle, deep - both inside and outside. Tua's ability to get the ball out quickly and push it vertically is rare, but it's also really hard - no matter how good you are at it. He could take a few more singles and doubles and make life easier on himself, as well as keeping the D off balance. Think the additions at WR and RB should help in this area.

But, Miami isn't lacking in explosives, and they were very good (particularly with Tua) in the red zone. That next level to unlock will come via consistency and stability, and that means a lower adot for Tua.

I guess with the trimmed roster during the regluar season you're going to have some starters on ST.

Also that's a big part of the game too and you can't cheat the talent on that overall unit.
Yep, and we have two defensive backs we absolutely can't afford to risk, Holland and X, plenty of other bodies to run down on kick coverage...

It’s real early so I expect Tanner to get involved soon I would think
Tanner is on PUP and according to Coach will be ready AFTER Needham and the 3-y-p-c guys thinks Needham wont be ready until week4 or 5 of the regular season. Yikes - more likely Tanner is gone.

Tanner is on PUP and according to Coach will be ready AFTER Needham and the 3-y-p-c guys thinks Needham wont be ready until week4 or 5 of the regular season. Yikes - more likely Tanner is gone.
I've speculated that the team might have known this WHEN they took Higgins.

Coach said tanner won’t be ready til after Needham comes back?

This is great stuff @djphinfan đŸ„‚đŸ„‚

To me, the most encouraging thing is Tua spreading the ball around, short, middle, deep - both inside and outside. Tua's ability to get the ball out quickly and push it vertically is rare, but it's also really hard - no matter how good you are at it. He could take a few more singles and doubles and make life easier on himself, as well as keeping the D off balance. Think the additions at WR and RB should help in this area.

But, Miami isn't lacking in explosives, and they were very good (particularly with Tua) in the red zone. That next level to unlock will come via consistency and stability, and that means a lower adot for Tua.
That’s exactly what he’s been doing for two days, spreading the ball around, backs and tight end getting their easy check downs.

Haven’t seen one deep shot yet in two days, just short and intermediate stuff which I found interesting.

I just want to point out that Minnesota's laws changed today, so if anyone residing in Minnesota comes in here and makes an ass of themselves... they are probably high.

Fair warning...

Back
Top Bottom