CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
GREAT BLUE NORTH DRAFT REPORT

SENIOR BOWL DIARY
by Jamie Moore, ace staff reporter

Read the rest at:

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowldiary.htm

Tuesday morning... First chance to check out the South squad after spending Monday afternoon with the North...players were in pads in good football weather - dry with temps in the mid-to- high 40s...no question that Tulane QB J.P. Losman is the best QB at this year's Senior Bowl. Losman still needs a little work on his footwork, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with his arm. Losman showed great arm strength, particularly on deep fade routes on which the ball got there in a real hurry; Losman also had outstanding velocity throwing 10-15 yards routes...North Carolina State QB Phil Rivers, who came to Mobile looking to possibly challenge Losman for the #3 ranking among QBs, was also solid, but just doesn't have the same velocity as Losman. Rivers, though, did show nice touch, a quick release and was very accurate, but the ball doesn't really jump off his arm...Virginia QB Matt Schaub, meanwhile, was very 'average'; he did everything adequately, but didn't really stand out in any area...other than Losman, a legitimate first-round prospect this coming April, the South player pro scouts were probably most interested in seeing at this week's practices is Florida State RB Greg Jones. The bruising Jones was considered to be a potential top 5 pick at last April's draft before tearing up his knee mid-way through the 2002 season; Jones was back at FSU this fall, but didn't play much and didn't show the same power or explosion when he did get on the field. If nothing else, Jones looks the part of a stud RB with a powerful lower body. And while its still too early to make too much out of what is going on in Mobile, Jones looked very good yesterday, showing excellent change of direction and flexibilty for a power back; Jones also caught the ball reasonably well...another big back looking to put some injuries woes - not to mention off-field troubles - in the past is Cedric Cobbs of Arkansas who also looked very flexible for a big back; Cobbs also showed decent hands catching passes coming out of the backfield...the best hands of any back in Mobile, though, belong to Losman's Tulane teammate, RB Mewelde Moore. Moore consistently caught the ball with his hands away from his body and should make an outstanding 3rd down back at the next level. Moore also looked like he had something to prove as he ran out every play well downfield...Auburn FB Brandon Johnson delivered a couple of good blocks, but also looks a little stiff...Alabama RB Shaud Williams, on the other hand, didn't show much in the way of special quickness or acceleration, not a good sign for a small back...among the South receivers Earnest Wilford of Virginia Tech and LSU's Devery Henderson stood out; Wilford was very quick in and out of his breaks for a big receiver and also showed nice soft hands, while Henderson showed some quicks after catching the ball...another Va Techster, C Jake Grove was solid along the offensive front as was North Carolina OG Jeb Terry...on the other side of the ball, LSU DT Chad Lavalais doesn't look like the prototype NFL DT; that is, until the ball is snapped when he gets upfield in a hurry; Lavalais is very quick off the ball and has a high-intensity motor...DT Darnell Dockett of Florida State struggled in the some of the agility drills, but was much better in one-on-one contests where he also showed the ability to get upfield...Dockett's FSU teammate, LB Michael Boulware was one of the top back 7 defenders, showing good hands as well as burst coming off the edge...Florida CB Keiwan Ratliff was also solid in one-on-one coverage, although he looks a little small to be an every down DB...Maryland FS Madieu Williams had the hit of the day, separating a would-be receiver from the ball coming over the middle...

Tuesday afternoon... Back with the North in the afternoon...same as Monday, the most impressive player on the day on the North squad was Southern Cal WR Keary Colbert who made a couple more acrobatic catches, showing good hands and body control, while getting great separation...same at QB where John Navarre of Michigan looked solid for the second day in a row; same for Washington QB Cody Pickett who also had a solid day one, but did tend to be inaccurate at times...Minnesota FB Thomas Tapeh also continued to impress with a couple more solid isolation blocks...Oklahoma State RB Tatum Bell looked good running with the ball; Bell showed good vision and excellent acceleration once he hit the crease... Miami of Ohio OT Jacob Bell impressed along the North offensive line showing very good feet....same for East Carolina OT Brian Rimpf who also came across as smart and a hard worker...Purdue OG Nick Hardwick, though, lacked strength and tended to get overwhelmed at the point of attack...actually concentrated more on the North defense where Hawaii DT Isaac Sopoago was a beast; Sopoago is a huge player and showed big-time strength as he consistently collapsed the pocket...Ohio State DT Tim Anderson also stood out showing an effective rip technique while rushing the passer...same for Iowa State DT Jorden Carstens who did a nice job in one-on-one drills...Purdue DE Shaun Phillips, on the other hand, spent most of the afternoon simply trying to around people and didn't show much in the way of pass-rush technique...Nebraska LB Demorrio Williams continued to fly around the field...Oklahoma CB Derrick Strait was very physical in one-on-one passing drills...Iowa SS Bob Sanders, who was very aggressive coming up to the line on Monday, struggled somewhat in straight coverage where he was burned for a couple of big gainers...highly-regarded Oklahoma FS Brandon Everage was almost invisible...CBs Joey Thomas of Montana State and Michigan's Jeremy LeSeuer both struggled at times to get off blocks coming up to support the run; LeSeuer, though, did show solid back pedal technique...Note: USC CB Will Poole warmed up, but didn't work out because of an Achilles' problem....

Why the hell reports contradict what other say?I'm guessing because some might be bias toward a particular player?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering the same thing myself. We sure are getting different points of view on the QB's!

Comment on Phillip Rivers yesterday from Tony Pauline:

"Displayed a great sense of timing and awareness, even though he's working with new receivers. Good feel but again, not effective throwing the ball down field and had a lot of passes blocked at the line of scrimmage."

As an aside, we spent a long time interviewing a TB and a LB yesterday, Shaud Williams of Alabama and the outstanding Demorrio Williams of Nebraska.

You are getting different opinions because the newspapers and people from WQAM are just that - journos and radio reporters. The reports that you get from GBN and TFY and elsewhere are done by professional scouters. It's all well and good for "The Big O" to say that a guy looks this and a guy looks that and to report about the big meeting between Marino and Rivers - but Miami will talk to 100 athletes this week.

Pay more attention to the scouts than what the Palm Beach Post or WQAM tells you.

Great!Scouts?

They usually contradict each other anyways.I'll put my trust on Marino and Spielman observations.

Question for the knowledagable, whats a good pay site for
draft info or any inside info so to speak. I have been looking at TFY.

But it seems to be connected with the Dolphin Digest. I loved that
but the magazines always come after the games are already played.

I also bought their Draft magazine last year but I wasn't to impressed with that.

I have also been looking into Stevenson's scouting service.

Anyone have any good ideas or comments?

Thanks fire away.

Minus, Marino and Spielman are going to say nice things to the papers. They aren't going to rip a kid in the papers. That would be dumb!!

CPU - TFY is pretty good. They guys that run it, Tony Pauline and Lane Adkins, whilst part of the Insiders group, have no connection with DD at all.

ESPN insider is apprently pretty good. I always think that Mel Kiper is a pretty strong judge, despite what people think about him. I trust his opinion.

Originally posted by Boomer
Minus, Marino and Spielman are going to say nice things to the papers. They aren't going to rip a kid in the papers. That would be dumb!!

CPU - TFY is pretty good. They guys that run it, Tony Pauline and Lane Adkins, whilst part of the Insiders group, have no connection with DD at all.

ESPN insider is apprently pretty good. I always think that Mel Kiper is a pretty strong judge, despite what people think about him. I trust his opinion.

True but is not like Marino had much to say other than saying he has strong arm.Is not like they hyping him up but I'll take big O opinion since he just basing his opinion how they perform(Not bias).He might not have all knowledge that a scout has but he can tell diferrence between having bad performance and a good one.

So what spot is Navarre going to be come the draft? He had an impressive game against OSU when all the crap was on the line.

Back
Top Bottom