Turning to the future to protect Tua | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turning to the future to protect Tua

I can’t agree with you Slimm this time. As a medical professional (Former paramedic now an RN) , I’ve seen many concussions and head injuries. You’re telling me these guys that fight in the MMA, and other players who have suffered concussions far worse than Tua in football should just hang it up? Time heals all wounds which is why they have a protocol in place. I know you just don’t like seeing Tua in a Dolphins uniform, but his concussions are no more different than anyone else’s that have experienced them in professional sports.

He knows nothing of what he speaks. He’s great at evaluating football, but seems to believe that somehow also qualifies him as a medical expert.

I’m no medical expert, but I have two eyes and two ears. I saw Tua grab at his back after being bent backward and essentially hyperextending is back in a goal line pile up. Then I heard actual medical experts state that he passed concussion protocol and that the reason for his gross motor instability was the lower back injury he suffered earlier in the game.

But Slimm and other non-medical experts on this site somehow know differently? Give me a break.

I‘ll bet we actually do have a few medical professionals among the members of this site and I doubt any of them would risk their reputation by diagnosing someone w/o personally evaluating them. Yet we have a bunch of non-medical professionals that seem to believe they can make a proper diagnosis w/o having even 1/10th of the information. Go figure.

You can’t make this stuff up.

Stick to football, cause you’re terrible at the medical stuff.

For someone that reviews so much video (allegedly), you clearly didn’t review that BUF game cause Tua most certainly did injure his lower back. The play is there for all to see.

Late in Q1 he was bent backward in a goal line pile up. When he rolled off another player, he clearly grabs at his lower back and doesn’t get up quickly.

Then a quarter later lands very hard on the same area due to the hit.

But somehow a weekend warrior doctor like you that never evaluated the player just knows for certain that he had a concussion. Despite multiple doctors — including an independent physician — stating that he did not. Good, great, grand, wonderful.

Must be nice to know nothing but believe you know everything.

Like I said, you need to stick to player evaluations and leave the medical stuff to the adults.

Tua receiving a concussion has nothing to do with whether his back was hurt or not. He also received one on the play where he broke his hip against Miss St.

You don’t know what happened to anybody on any play.
Stick to being a fruity nut out in the land of fruits and nuts.

Explain Jaelan Phillips then. He had concussions early in his college career but has been fine for at least three seasons now and he plays a position where violent contact is more prevalent.
Healing time.

Brain injuries require quite a lengthy period of time to heal. The NFL protocol is like putting a band aid on a broken arm.
After Tua's first concussion, he wasn't shut down long enough. After the second one, he should have been shut down for the year.
The NFL is complicit in this, allowing testosterone filled type A athlete's to pretend they are going to live forever.

Yes... you can heal as Phillips has healed, but it takes time... LOTS of time.

Healing time.

Brain injuries require quite a lengthy period of time to heal. The NFL protocol is like putting a band aid on a broken arm.
After Tua's first concussion, he wasn't shut down long enough. After the second one, he should have been shut down for the year.
The NFL is complicit in this, allowing testosterone filled type A athlete's to pretend they are going to live forever.

Yes... you can heal as Phillips has healed, but it takes time... LOTS of time.
That was my point. Tua can come back next season and be fine.

That was my point. Tua can come back next season and be fine.
He can... but it's far from guaranteed.
The Drs have suggested that he may not be any more likely to suffer future concussions... but they are guessing-- actually measuring this is all but impossible.
I will say this... actual Drs signed off on his return this year, and they were CLEARLY wrong, so we should not get caught up in looking for a Dr who agrees with us. You can always find a guy.

I have a lot of experience with concussions both having my own and my son's and many hockey players I have coached over years and years.

1. Yes do not come back too soon
2. They can complete heal in fairly fast time
3. They are fairly random and I have not seen players become susceptible to more concussions because they had one and completely had it healed
4. My fear, for myself and my son and some of these hockey players is long term effects as the brain that was damaged ages

With that said I would not have given up on hockey, told my son not to play or any other player. Life is short and live it to the fullest!

Back
Top Bottom