Turnovers, penalties... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Turnovers, penalties...

chriscarter

Scout Team
Reaction score
I remember seeing at one point that we had 10 penalties (compared to 3 for Denver) and 3 turnovers (none for Denver), yet we still led. This sounds a lot like last year. While I'm ecstatic that we still managed to lead and eventually win, it still worried me because smart fundamental teams like New England, etc. probably will take advantage of this stat better. Am I being too critical after a win, or is this a legit concern?

chriscarter said:
I remember seeing at one point that we had 10 penalties (compared to 3 for Denver) and 3 turnovers (none for Denver), yet we still led. This sounds a lot like last year. While I'm ecstatic that we still managed to lead and eventually win, it still worried me because smart fundamental teams like New England, etc. probably will take advantage of this stat better. Am I being too critical after a win, or is this a legit concern?

It is a legit concern. But I wouldn't worry too much until it becomes routine. If we can prevent it from consistently happening, we'll be in good shape. Obviously, there will be some games that it will hurt us more than others, but we have to limit them.

if we can work on the turnovers and keep playing at this level, i don't think it would be too homerish to say we have playoff potential.

side note: i thought it was mighty impressive that Saban didn't challenge any of those "close" looking calls today. I know wanny would have in a heartbeat just to appease the fans and to give his team a rest. Saban didn't call any of those, and its a good thing too as we would have lost them. Good tempering of the red flag, Saban.

That's a good point, but also notice that there were 0(?) turnovers in the second half and far fewer pre-snap penalties. To beat the great teams we can't play sloppy like we did in the first half.

texasPHINSfan said:
if we can work on the turnovers and keep playing at this level, i don't think it would be too homerish to say we have playoff potential.

side note: i thought it was mighty impressive that Saban didn't challenge any of those "close" looking calls today. I know wanny would have in a heartbeat just to appease the fans and to give his team a rest. Saban didn't call any of those, and its a good thing too as we would have lost them. Good tempering of the red flag, Saban.

I agree...as a matter of fact I remember telling a friend at the bar that Wanny would have used up both challenges on one drive. Glad to have Saban here and I hope he/we can fix the mistakes.

They made good adjustments at the half and it was much better after halftime. We won the turnover battle 2-1 in the 2nd half and the penalties were way down. This team clearly listens to Saban.

Back
Top Bottom