Two Profootball Talk reports on Mueller and Spielman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two Profootball Talk reports on Mueller and Spielman

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ESPN BOYS SPLIT BETWEEN MUELLER, MODRAK

There's an interesting dynamic playing out in Bristol,
Connecticut and Miami, Florida regarding the newly-created G.M.
position with the Dolphins.

Guys like Chris Mortensen and John "the Great Gazoo" Clayton are
backing ESPN.com colleague Randy Mueller. Len Pastabelli, whom
we incorrectly identified on Monday as a Mueller supporter, is
backing Bills assistant G.M. Tom Modrak for the gig.

The end result, however, is that ESPN.com is ignoring other
viable candidates for the job.

The problem, as one league insider told us on Monday, is that
most NFL owners don't know much about football matters, so they
tend to put a lot of stock in the words of guys like Mortensen
and Pasquarelli. Though we found this revelation hard to
believe, the source explained to us that, while many owners have
enjoyed success in other areas of business, few are clueless
when it comes to determining the best candidates for football
jobs. Thus, they tend to be influenced by the opinions of folks in
the media, who essentially are performing the initial screening
for the owners by culling the list of candidates down to a
handful of names.

With all that said, we too are hearing that Modrak and Mueller
indeed have emerged as the front-runners for the job. We
wonder, however, whether this news is an example of the self-
fulfilling nature of the early reports of Mort and P. Belly.

We're also hearing that some league insiders doubt that Modrak
ever will be a serious candidate for a G.M. job. Age and health
issues aside, several league insiders believe that Modrak's star
plummeted in 2001, when (as the story goes) he tried to short-
circuit a protracted beauty contest in Chicago via a power play
for the G.M. gig. Neither the Bears nor the league took kindly
to the move, and (as the story goes) Modrak formally withdrew
his name from consideration in order to avoid the embarrassment
of not getting hired for the job.

Several league insiders think that Modrak's name has remained in
consideration for G.M. jobs thanks to the efforts of guys like
Pastabelli and Bills G.M. Tom Donahoe. One league insider
opined that there are 30-35 guys more deserving of a G.M. job,
and that only a franchise that won't do its homework (i.e., the
Cardinals) would pull the trigger at this point.

Another possibility for Modrak, if Randy Mueller gets the Miami
gig, could come with the Saints. Randy's brother, Rick, likely
would leave New Orleans to join the Dolphins, creating a vacancy
at the top of the personnel department. Since Saints G.M.
Mickey Loomis admittedly is not a football guy, he'll need
someone like Modrak to pick up this end of the job.

Don't get us wrong here. We're not knocking Modrak. We're
merely sharing the insights of some of the folks around the
league who disagree with the generally favorable comments that
previously have appeared in this here space regarding Modrak.

-----------------------------------

SPIELMAN HEADING TO MOTOWN?

Though Lions CEO Matt Millen has secured an unwarranted
reprieve, word is that Millen soon could be adding Dolphins
senior V.P. of football operations Rick Spielman as the team's
director of player personnel.

Spielman is one of the G.M. candidates in Miami whom the ESPN
guys don't mention. Still, it seems unlikely at this point that
Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga will move Spielman ahead of his
former boss, coach Dave Wannstedt.

Even if Spielman doesn't land in Miami, word around the league
is that both he and pro personnel director George Paton will find
new jobs quickly, if there isn't a seat for them in the soon-to-
be-renovated front office.

I read that article and went looking for more on Randy Mueller. So far, I've been impressed.

First take a look at the draft he has been a part of.

Seattle

Joey Galloway
Christian Fauria
Pete Kendall-guard
Fred Thomas
Phillip Daniels-D end
Traded Rick Mirer for Dave's number 1 pick in Chicago
Shawn Springs
Walter Jones
Anthony Simmons
Todd Weiner-tackle
Ahman Green

Saints

Darren Howard-D end
Deuce Mcallister
Sedrick Hodge-LB
Donte Stallworth
Charles Grant
Lecharles Bentley

I haven't found one trade that turned out to be a "terd" but I have found indication that he doesn't throw the bank at a player that is not worth it.

Joe Johnson is the "terd" that Randy Mueller would not match a 6 year 30 million dollar deal for. In hindsight, it was a perfect decision.

La Roi Glover is another "terd" who was undersized for his position and Mueller let him walk to Dallas with a big money contract.

1998 Warren Moon was asking for a 3 yr deal with a 6 million dollar signing bonus at age 41! Needless to say that "terd" was the backup at KC for the next two years.

He got Aarron Brooks from the packers for a number 3.

The only decisions that I consider nearing the term bad were locker room decisions in the trade of Willie Roaf and Ricky Williams.

Throw in the fact that he has worked for two of the lessor of NFL franchises and left with a good track record and I tend to like the guy. Tom Benson's most infamous attribute in NO is "how cheap could he possibly be?" Seattle (sorry to the pacific northwesterners) is practically a third world.

Who are these other candidates? I've heard there is a long list but never seen more then 4 names mentioned.

Originally posted by ZOD
I read that article and went looking for more on Randy Mueller. So far, I've been impressed.

First take a look at the draft he has been a part of.

Seattle

Joey Galloway
Christian Fauria
Pete Kendall-guard
Fred Thomas
Phillip Daniels-D end
Traded Rick Mirer for Dave's number 1 pick in Chicago
Shawn Springs
Walter Jones
Anthony Simmons
Todd Weiner-tackle
Ahman Green

Saints

Darren Howard-D end
Deuce Mcallister
Sedrick Hodge-LB
Donte Stallworth
Charles Grant
Lecharles Bentley

I haven't found one trade that turned out to be a "terd" but I have found indication that he doesn't throw the bank at a player that is not worth it.

Joe Johnson is the "terd" that Randy Mueller would not match a 6 year 30 million dollar deal for. In hindsight, it was a perfect decision.

La Roi Glover is another "terd" who was undersized for his position and Mueller let him walk to Dallas with a big money contract.

1998 Warren Moon was asking for a 3 yr deal with a 6 million dollar signing bonus at age 41! Needless to say that "terd" was the backup at KC for the next two years.

He got Aarron Brooks from the packers for a number 3.

The only decisions that I consider nearing the term bad were locker room decisions in the trade of Willie Roaf and Ricky Williams.

Throw in the fact that he has worked for two of the lessor of NFL franchises and left with a good track record and I tend to like the guy. Tom Benson's most infamous attribute in NO is "how cheap could he possibly be?" Seattle (sorry to the pacific northwesterners) is practically a third world.

Randy Mueller also signed Dale Carter to a 7 year deal worth what I believe was 28 million dollars. :nono:

He sounds like a very good drafter but he made a bunch of really bad free agent signings.

Originally posted by ZOD
Try this.

OK, so there are a few minority names, but where are the others? Some articles make it sound like the Dolphins are neglecting dozens, and yet never name them. I'm sure there are dozens of possibilities, but who are they? Which ones have a legit shot are the ones we know about. If they were legit choices we haven't heard, don't you think we would have?

Unless another name pops up, it looks like Mueller to me.

Mueller s/b our new GM

After reading this article by Bricker from the Sun BRICKER: Mueller would shake things up , I am convinced we need Mueller here to figure out a way to get us over the hump rather than just saying we are close. As long as he does not trade Ricky again, he w/b the best choice IMO

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Randy Mueller also signed Dale Carter to a 7 year deal worth what I believe was 28 million dollars. :nono:

He sounds like a very good drafter but he made a bunch of really bad free agent signings.

You've pointed out one instance here and you're saying that he's "made a bunch of really bad free agent signing."? Please expound upon that otherwise your argument is meritless as one instance does not constitute a trend nor does it equal "a bunch."

Also, to those of you who point to the Williams' trade let's see what that netted the Saints shall we? They received two first round picks which turned into Johnathan Sullivan this past draft (they packaged their two first rounders to trade up to #6, something they would not have been able to do otherwise) and Charles Grant in 2002. Both of these guys have turned out to be pretty solid defensive lineman and they will have some solid young talent along their D-line for a several more years. The third rounder is James Allen, a guy who hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet but who most likely will next season. Also, I'd say they're doing just fine with Deuce in place of Ricky so there was basically zero dropoff from that trade; i.e. he made an excellent trade for the Saints in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy Meuller made one bad move and that was Dale Carter.

He made another very bad free agency move........albert connell......who not only played like crap, but stole from teammates as well!

Good call Dean.

You know what? I get the impression he's a slimy guy who only cares about himself. Not necessarily a bad thing in this business, but Wayne appears to be the most genuine owner in the league.

I wonder their styles would mesh together? I don't care who we get, as long as he makes the Dolphins the best they can be and quits worrying so much about loyalty. Their is none from either side.

He isn't a slimy guy. He just does not like owners who take a part in the team. For example he and Jerry Jones would beat the living crap out of each other. Huizenga on the other hand is one of the least hands on owners in the league and is a perfect fit.

That kind of drafting record is too good to pass on.

Originally posted by Jaj
Randy Meuller made one bad move and that was Dale Carter.
yeah for the most part he seems to be a good decision maker except for the dale carter thing but everybody is entitelled 1 bad move or they would not be human. my opinion if speilman does not get the position meuller should hands down.

Originally posted by Expo88

You've pointed out one instance here and you're saying that he's "made a bunch of really bad free agent signing."? Please expound upon that otherwise your argument is meritless as one instance does not constitute a trend nor does it equal "a bunch."

Also, to those of you who point to the Williams' trade let's see what that netted the Saints shall we? They received two first round picks which turned into Johnathan Sullivan this past draft (they packaged their two first rounders to trade up to #6, something they would not have been able to do otherwise) and Charles Grant in 2002. Both of these guys have turned out to be pretty solid defensive lineman and they will have some solid young talent along their D-line for a several more years. The third rounder is James Allen, a guy who hasn't cracked the starting lineup yet but who most likely will next season. Also, I'd say they're doing just fine with Deuce in place of Ricky so there was basically zero dropoff from that trade; i.e. he made an excellent trade for the Saints in this case.

Steve Israel and Albert Connell were pretty bad as well.

Back
Top Bottom