Two questions that give us all the answers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two questions that give us all the answers

Phins13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
All four years Jay was starting Q.B., I always asked myself, When will other teams stop playing 8-man fronts and respect our passing game? When talk turned to getting a upgrade at Q.B, I said "FINALLY, someone will respect our passing game and get us some room at the line of scrimmage. Now comes my two questions.......Are teams still going to play 8 in the box with Feely and are they going to say got to have Feely(FIEDLER) beat us with a pass down the field? Did we gain respect in the passing game or are we going to have the same questions asked the last 4 years? Where does our Q.B rate in our division? I wish nothing but positive things for A.J....I really do! BUT..........Did we upgrade and get the respect we needed to run effectively? I just remember having the same conversation right after we signed Jay. I said to myself to just give Jay a chance .........4 years later, I'm saying the same for A.J? I hope this turns out better because I am hearing the same questions all over again/

heres my question for you:

name 1 quarterback who became great without being given a chance?

of course teams are going to stack the box, weve got ricky williams on our team. wouldnt you? the whole key is to make them pay with some big plays, fiedler couldnt do it. lets get another wideout, spread the d a little, and see what the kid has.

should the raiders have given rich gannon a chance? how bout the pats with brady? warner? how do you really know until they play? there werent too many qbs in the league worse than fiedler, and thats a fact! i honestly dont believe feeley can be any worse

I'm sure hope you are right....It would be great to see us have a potent passing attack... but I just don't know.......I'm just afraid that we still will have to prove we are anything but a running team no matter how many are in the box.

Good question and what I hope the answer is that they will respect our passing game!!!

I think teams will at least start off with those 8 man fronts, until (if/when) he shows them he can throw it. Ricky will probably still be our number one threat that defenses will worry about.

AJ can throw it, watch some of the hilight reels. We have an excellent QB coach and a new OC that should call some smart plays. Let's wait until the preseason before we start making snap judgments. But wait, oh yea, we'll be re-tooling our OL which should mean more time to throw, and more lanes for Ricky. We'll be giving Minor more carries which means a fresher Ricky. Most importantly, however, is the seemingly obvious that we get another WR. If that WR turns out to be anything near what we hope, that will also help get those spread the field more.

The only problem I really have with this is the fact that if Feely doesn't work there is no plan B. If they still grab a QB in the draft (which is highly unlikely) then hell let Feely have all the chance he wants, at least if he fails you have somebody else to throw in there.

Originally posted by PhinPhreak
The only problem I really have with this is the fact that if Feely doesn't work there is no plan B. If they still grab a QB in the draft (which is highly unlikely) then hell let Feely have all the chance he wants, at least if he fails you have somebody else to throw in there.

I think Plan "B" is Sage....
He's never really had a shot either....

Feely has a much stronger arm than Jay. So defenses will have to back off a little bit to play the long ball. But, until we improve the offensive line, we can't hold the QB (Feidler or Feely) responsible for our inability to run the ball. I think we are better off with Feely.

Originally posted by WharfRat

I think Plan "B" is Sage....
He's never really had a shot either....

Exactly, I would like to get a look at what Sage can do.

Any team that thinks they can ignore Ricky Williams....Have at it. We are still a run first offense. That's what gives us an edge in the play-action passing game.

My guess is that it would be stupid for any team not to bring up an extra player to contain Ricky. If they don't...we will ram Ricky down there proverbial throats.

However, the real thing...that remains to be seen, Will we be able to take advantage of this in the passing game. It doesn't mean that we have to consistantly go deep. It means that the QB has to get the ball quickly to the right receiver and allow him, as a skill player, to do the rest.

Not nessisarily true...We still have a shot at Henson. Jay might be back as a backup (or Griese). I think with an improved O-line our running game will be better and the QB (Whoever it is) will find success, especially Griese, who has a strong arm and nice deep ball but cant hold the ball when blind sided.

I say we make a legit run to land Henson as our QB of the future. Take the 1st rounder and get a top WR or O lineman. Remember that we may have 2 1st rounders if Ogun leave (Which I think is a mistake if he goes, but at least we'll be well compensated for him). Spend the rest of the draft to re-tool the O-line. Hell trade all of our late picks for 2 3rds or a high second. Be creative with the draft. FA doesn't look spectacular for O-line and only 2 or 3 WRs worth looking at.

"Exactly, I would like to get a look at what Sage can do."

i watched sage come in for an injured ray lucas. i was at the game in green bay two years ago, i saw a deer in headlights. i know its unfair judging a guy on 1 series, but i saw nothing that would make me think he could be an nfl qb. have you ever seen how skinny his legs are? he makes todd pinkston look like a champion squatter

Originally posted by slubeaner

i watched sage come in for an injured ray lucas. i was at the game in green bay two years ago, i saw a deer in headlights. i know its unfair judging a guy on 1 series, but i saw nothing that would make me think he could be an nfl qb. have you ever seen how skinny his legs are? he makes todd pinkston look like a champion squatter

C'mon....that was 2 seasons ago...He looked nice this past preseason. But I do see your point about preseason vs. regular season or (GASP) playoffs.....Me personally, I 'd hate to see SAge trotting onto the field after AJ or whoever gets hurt. YIKES!!!

Originally posted by slubeaner

Did you see him lead us to our only score all day when we played the Titans last year?....I mean let's be fair about this, lucas was injured for a reason....Green Bays' defense was swarming the QB ALL night....Not saying you're right or wrong , just that that was a bad first impression through no fault of his own really.....

I think Feeley can back the defense off the line but, like a few others already said, you won't see any other team respecting our passing game until they get burned by it....and it's going to have to be more than one or two games before other coaches start planning around it......we got a big hammer in one hand and an empty fist, no one is going to pay attention to the fist until it starts hurting them too.

BTW, plan C....is going to be third round QB.....Matt Schaub???....Ryan Dinwiddie??.....Josh Harris???*

*I'm not a draft expert....... players may or may not be third rounders....I KNOW this, just regurgitatting some names I've heard.....if you have a better suggestion please share but don't tell me how crazy I am for thinking any of these guys are going in the third.....I don't care.
:D

Back
Top Bottom