Types of Players for the defense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Types of Players for the defense

Da 'Fins

FinHeaven VIP
Club Member
Reaction score
What I've noticed that Bill Belichick has done with his defensive front 7 is, other than the NT position, basically utilize a bunch of "tweeners." Two classic examples:

Richard Seymour - DE/DT - 6'5, 309. He doesn't have the 4-3 DT size you want (like a Tim Bowens), and he's too big for a classic 4-3 DE spot. But, he is the ideal 3-4 DT. He can play that DT spot in the straight up 3-4; he can shift to either DT or DE in a passing situation. And, he even has the athleticism to drop back into coverage in the flat every now and then. In some ways this is what Carter and Holliday did for us last year - though we weren't as strongly 3-4 as the Patriots. I suspect we will be moreso this year. (Which is why I suggested Brodrick Buckley earlier - a guy who should fit that mould at 6'3, 307 - of course, it appears he'll be gone).

Willie McGinest - at 6'4, 255 he's small for DE and large for OLB. But, he was the perfect OLB for Belichick to utilize - A guy who could go to a DE spot and rush the passer or move off into space.

The great thing about having players like this (and hopefully Jason Taylor will continue to be able to continue to grow into this) is that it gives the defense a great deal of flexibility with the players on the field. When Belichick's D was operating at its peak, offenses had to think on every play and react to the defense, rather than vice-versa. No one really knew who was rushing from where. It was especially impressive when he had two down DL's and five LB's on the field in the SB against Philadelphia.

I suspect Saban will continue to look for these types of players as he continually remolds the defense.

Back
Top Bottom