UEFA Euro 2016: Knockout stage (R16 to Final) | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UEFA Euro 2016: Knockout stage (R16 to Final)

Delighted for Wales.

Said they were the best British team before the tournament started - wasnt sure that I was right!

\○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/ \○/

Great win by Wales.

Told ya. They will go to the finals. Portugal has no wins in 90 minutes and looked bad in every games.

Told ya. They will go to the finals. Portugal has no wins in 90 minutes and looked bad in every games.
A part of me doesn't care what happens vs Portugal because Wales have far exceeded expectations already, and will go home proud whatever the score. Anything else they can achieve now will just be adding gravy. Good luck to them.

One thing I've noticed is the stark contrast in demeanour between Bale and Ronaldo. Just look at their faces. One is completely relaxed and having fun, the other looks like he's getting crushed under the pressure, and is snatching at chances at every moment.

I guess it just goes to show how important a player's current mental make-up and psychology is, to having sporting success.

Togetherness; having a coherent and sound plan; focusing on what you do well; trust in the coaches; belief; hardworking; don't beat yourself; never quit... ubiquitous qualities across all team sports.

Can Gase and co. conjure up the same qualities in the Dolphins?

A part of me doesn't care what happens vs Portugal because Wales have far exceeded expectations already, and will go home proud whatever the score. Anything else they can achieve now will just be adding gravy. Good luck to them.

One thing I've noticed is the stark contrast in demeanour between Bale and Ronaldo. Just look at their faces. One is completely relaxed and having fun, the other looks like he's getting crushed under the pressure, and is snatching at chances at every moment.

I guess it just goes to show how important a player's current mental make-up and psychology is, to having sporting success.

Togetherness; having a coherent and sound plan; focusing on what you do well; trust in the coaches; belief; hardworking; don't beat yourself; never quit... ubiquitous qualities across all team sports.

Can Gase and co. conjure up the same qualities in the Dolphins?

You can and should be proud of them. Enjoy that gravy. :)

Ronaldo is a lazy SOB. His shortcomings are masked by a great support cast at Real Madrid but exposed at the Nation Team level. His playing radius is like 10 yards.

Shame Wales arent playing Iceland. Would have been great to make sure that at least one made it to the final

Semi Finals
All set and done for Wednesday (Wales vs Portugal) and Thursday (France vs Germany).
Two teams (Wales and France) won their Quarter Finals convincingly and two teams (Portugal and Germany) struggled mightily. Most teams have to replace a player or two because of yellow cards but the biggest hit came to Germany.
Gomez (harmstring) is out and so is Khedira - the rest of Euro 2016. Hummels will not play because of yellow card violation. Boatang and Schweinsteiger are questionable.
All players are major contributors.
It will be interesting to see if Loew will put Mueller as the true #9 and Draxler behind him from the beginning or if he decides to go back to a false #9 and add Goetze. Almost sure is that Germany will go back to a 4-man line after changing to a 3-man line for the Italy game.

Germany's opponent France has finally arrived. Struggling through the Group Phase they started playing really well with the 2nd half of the Ireland game and continued to disassemble the Cinderella team Iceland in the Quarters. People may say that Iceland was just done and exhausted but a team first has to score 4 goals in the 1st half.
The key for France is Griezman. The forward enjoys tremendous success as a free roaming forward next to Giroud and faces a German defense who has yet to allow a goal other than a penalty kick. France is not a dominant team but a tremendous counter attack squad. For France to be successful they have to score first on a limping and with injuries riddles Germany squad. It would play perfectly into their game plan. If Germany takes the lead or keeps the game tied France will be faced with a game plan they do not like - ball control and more offensive minded.

Germany will go back to a 4-2-3-1 and France will keep the 4-2-3-1 system (which they have done since the second half in the Ireland game).

Ways to win for Germany:
Take advantage of the French weak defense especially with attacks from the wings. The center of the French defense is one of the weak spots.
Stand high and forecheck early: France is not very good in the progression from defense to midfield to offense outside the counter attacks. On the other hand keep enough players behind the ball not to be overrun by a counter attack.

Ways to win for France
Be patient. Survive the German passing machine and counter quickly. Score first. France will not win if they go into a chess match like Italy and Germany did. Feed of homefield advantage.

My guess
I cannot give Germany a clear path to the final. A week ago I would have said no problem. But with the missing players it comes down to "how good is the German bench". At the WC in 2014 it was their strength that they were able to rotate players in and out of the lineup and not lose a heartbeat. It was the most balanced team in ages.
But there are some unknowns on the bench which may or may not see action: Can, Weigl, maybe Sane could see first time Euro action.

While I may not give Germany a clear path I think they may be able to pull it off in OT. Just don't go back to the penalty kicks. No other team is as forgiving as Italy and will give you several chances to pull that off.

Next up: Wales vs Portugal

Wales vs Portugal
..aka Bale vs Ronaldo. It will be a delight watching these two Real Madrid teammates trying to get their teams to the Euro final. While Ronaldo's Euro campaign has been more subdued, yes even disappointing, Bale has had plenty of shining moments wearing the National colors.
Portugal is clearly the favorite. Ranked #8 before the Euro Portugal has really not shown anything to justify its 'one of the favorites' status. I have seen every game from Portugal and I cannot give you one game where I can say "this team played really good". The 3-3 tie against Hungary was the closest to a good game but was more a result of Hungary's offensive style off football and a decent team would have easily disposed of Hungary as Belgium has shown in the R16s. Portugal's livelyhood will rely on Sanchez who may or may not be 18 years old (in case anybody missed that age controversy) feeding the ball to a largely ineffective and lazy Ronaldo. The teams other Superstar, Pepe, has had more highlights rolling on the ground, bitching and moaning and clawing opponents rather than through play. It is a sign of this year's quality (or lack thereof) of the Portugal team that he is still considered one of the best on this team. But he might be out for the semi.
Note: Portugal has yet to win a game in regulation (90 minutes) at Euro.

Wales, the new kid on the block, have huge problems going into this game :lol:
- one player had to cancel his own wedding: Joe Ledley had his wedding planed for Saturday
- Chris Gunter cannot attend his brothers wedding which also threw his parents into troubled waters. They decided to attend the game rather than go to their other son's wedding

But these type of problems just add to the likability factor of this year's Wales team
And it describes Wales perfectly. They didn't expect anything out of Euro considering they were competing with England and Russia in group play. And even if they would have advanced who would have thought they go all the way to the Semis. For a lot of fans and experts a surprise I gave Wales more credit from the get-go. I had the pleasure of watching a couple of their games in the last couple years (one was the Qualifier against Belgium) and I really thought that they could make some noise. Wales plays as a collective with a strong defense yet with enough offensive power to score more than just one goal. (Note: Wales had the most goals scored in group play)
One of the reasons I was sold early on Wales was Bale. Bale is a Superstar I think Beckham was not. Bale is a Superstar Messi is not, Neymar is not, Ronaldo is not, Rooney is not. All these players mentioned have had great success on club level but never were the ones lifting their National team to the top spot. It is one thing playing great on the side of other international superstars but when you play with players who are not on that level you have to, as a superstar, get down and dirty and rally the team around you. You become a leader not just remain a diva. Bale integrated himself well into the Welsh team and the team itself rallies around him.

One of the concerns I had was 'what if Wales has to play from behind'? Prior to the quarters they were down only once but that was vs England in the 92 min and the game was over. Great teams respond to a deficit. They had the chance against Belgium (0-1 after 13 minutes) and they responded extremely well.

Right now, of the remaining 4 teams Wales is the most compact and should make it to the finals.....and it is the 12th year after all!!!!!!!!
(1992 Denmark; 2004 Greece; 2016 Wales?)

Tough luck wales, they were amazing.

Ronaldo is awesome and has had a great tournament in a bad team

Well it was good while it lasted.
A great effort overall by Wales; they certainly left their mark on the competition.

Many people seem to be oddly discounting Portugal, because they havent been as flashy as past teams.
This is a veteran team that has been here numerous times before. Crafty coach, Know when to lean in and be aggressive and when to lay back.
Perhaps not their most talented but one that knows their limits.
Kind of remind me of those wildcard NYG teams

Both Iceland and Hungary showed themselves to be reasonable Cinderellas
And Portugal beat one of the Hottest teams in the form of Croatia.

They won't be favored against the Germans or France, but could Portugal win a close to the vest final.
Possibly.

Wales hats off. That Belgium quarerfinal will probably go down in the annals of Wales lore forever.

And something has to be done about this ridiculous Yellow Card rule.

Many people seem to be oddly discounting Portugal, because they havent been as flashy as past teams.
This is a veteran team that has been here numerous times before. Crafty coach, Know when to lean in and be aggressive and when to lay back.
Perhaps not their most talented but one that knows their limits.
Kind of remind me of those wildcard NYG teams

Both Iceland and Hungary showed themselves to be reasonable Cinderellas
And Portugal beat one of the Hottest teams in the form of Croatia.

They won't be favored against the Germans or France, but could Portugal win a close to the vest final.
Possibly.

Wales hats off. That Belgium quarerfinal will probably go down in the annals of Wales lore forever.

And something has to be done about this ridiculous Yellow Card rule.

I agree on the yellow card rule. Essentially if you get a yellow card in the first game you carry it to the Quarters (5 games) and a minor yellow keeps you out of the semi. They should reset the yellows maybe with the end of the group phase or the R16.

Not sure if Germany will make it. They completely dominated the first half against France but don't score. I said in the beginning of this thread that Germany's inability to score (for whatever reasons) may be their downfall.
The funny part is that their defense was their weak part prior to the tournament. At Euro all they gave up is penalty kicks.

Germany has to break out in the second half otherwise the final is gone.

If you can't score goals you can't win. Add a couple of brain farts on D and you lose.
The penalty kick definitely changed momentum.

Anyhow, I hope Loew learned his lesson and goes back to a true #9. That means having a #9 on the bench as well in case your starter goes down. The false #9 should be put to rest. Couple players will probably retire from the National Team (i.e. Schweinsteiger) but Germany has some great young talent in the wings and will reset.

CnCQg2kWAAALxDz.jpg:large

Delighted for Ronaldo and Portugal :) Love to see the underdog win

Thought Nani had a great tournament

Back
Top Bottom