UFC 69 Thread | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UFC 69 Thread

GSP should have destroyed Serra, and as I said before if this fight happened 9 more times, I would imagine GSP would win each one...The result was a combination of Serra being aggressive and getting in a good, albeit lucky, shot. Most of all though, Georges came out very flat. He looked like he was fighting not to lose, and he was lacking the very aggressive style that brought him to the top...

GSP should have destroyed Serra, could have destroyed Serra, but didn't destroy Serra. But either way, Long Island's very own came out and did his thing. Say what you want but he punked GSP and punked him quick. GSP is no joke but on this night Serra was the better man and that's all that matters. It doesn't matter who would beat who 9 out of 10 times, all that matters is who the better man is that night and Serra was. Fights like this is why MMA is taking over boxing right now. They give you the fights you want to see as a fan and upsets like this are why people stay tuned. UFC is becoming a giant in the sports world. Boxing is going to be what UFC used to be because boxing isn't run as organized as UFC. I'm a bigger boxing fan then I am MMA (I love both but boxing is my heart) but MMA deserves their props when it's due. Their so organized and don't shy away from giving you the fights you want to see which is why their so successful and are climbing their way up the ladder to becoming a really mainstream sport (Sportscenter mainstream lol)!

the only reason sportscenter put them on is because they are trying to sign UFC to a TV deal.

I always wondered.. isn't there some way to have an MMA that includes weapons?

I bet sufficient protective gear could be fabricated, at least if we're only talking about most traditional weapons (weapons with sharp edges pose no problem, but there might be a problem with heavy weapons..)

It's been done, back in the 1980s. It was called "The Running Man". Arnold Schwarzenegger won after killing Richard Dawson.

If boxing gets A real good heavyweight division again boxing will be on top again.

If boxing gets A real good heavyweight division again boxing will be on top again.

Even if that were to occur, it won't likely last long. MMA is the wave of the future, and I think 2006 was a great year to provide statistical support for that.

Even if that were to occur, it won't likely last long. MMA is the wave of the future, and I think 2006 was a great year to provide statistical support for that.

That's a tough call, IMHO. While you're right in that MMA is absolutely exploding in popularity, there's still nothing that can capture people's attention quite like a big heavyweight championship fight.

However, it's a moot point. Boxing's heavyweight division is deader than Generalissimo Francisco Franco, and has been for some time. There hasn't been a dominant heavyweight champ since Lewis was in his prime, and hasn't been an interesting heavyweight champ since Holyfield. And as you can see, I'm using the words "dominant" and "interesting" fairly loosely. You could make a good argument that the heavyweight division has been dog meat since Tyson went to jail.

If a dominant heavy emerges and some solid opposition for him to fight boxing will be on top for as long as he's reigning or a presence.

I don't see how boxing will ever be on top again...They might become more popular again, but barring a disaster the UFC will still be going strong...It isn't like UFC fans are going to stop watching events because a few Heavyweights are all of a sudden fighting well...

That's a tough call, IMHO. While you're right in that MMA is absolutely exploding in popularity, there's still nothing that can capture people's attention quite like a big heavyweight championship fight.

However, it's a moot point. Boxing's heavyweight division is deader than Generalissimo Francisco Franco, and has been for some time. There hasn't been a dominant heavyweight champ since Lewis was in his prime, and hasn't been an interesting heavyweight champ since Holyfield. And as you can see, I'm using the words "dominant" and "interesting" fairly loosely. You could make a good argument that the heavyweight division has been dog meat since Tyson went to jail.

How about basing the argument on demographics. Aren't most MMA fans "younger" than most boxing fans? It's really a matter of time before boxing fades away even if there's a big-name heavyweight, though obviously if you base the argument on demographics we're talking decades here.

I just don't see too many interested in big-name boxing matches among younger people. Mostly, it's MMA (in a comparison).

Back
Top Bottom