UM Bandwagon...enough already! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UM Bandwagon...enough already!

gearhead

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'd like to preface my comments with saying that I am a HUGE UM fan & have been for my entire life. I grew up & still live 5 minutes from the campus so UM & its history have been a BIG part of my sports life. Now that's out of the way ....

I wish all the UM homers here, on the radio, in the papers, etc. would stop blindly harping about great this UM player is, how the Fins should trade up to get this UM player or pick that UM player. Sure, UM produces some great players but the mere fact that that he wore a Canes uniform doesn't guarantee success nor does it translate to NFL stardom. Granted, UM players have had great NFL successes and it does have some relevance when evaluating a player but history is just that...the past. It's like that statement you see on all advertisements for investments .... "past returns do not guarantee future successes". And in some respects the hype given to these players by fans & the media puts a severe burden on them to become world beaters at very early stages of their NFL careers.

So, that said .... IMO and given our draft position & trade up potential, there are no Canes that are predicted to go in the first round in the draft that will be available or that warrant a pick by the Miami Dolphins. Taylor & Vilma, the two BEST NFL prospects IMO & most likely to star in the NFL, will be long gone. Winslow's heritage & the hype surrounding him are setting him up for failure big time and IMO he's not as good as Shockey. DJ Williams is a great ATHLETE & fine physical specimen but his instincts and football smarts, unlike Vilmas, are not great and the NFL plays a lot faster and is more complex than college. Wilfork was nowhere near as productive or as dominant as Sapp & many of his interior DL predecessors. Carey while a good college player is nowhere near the beast McKinnie was. Both are way overrated as NFL prospects in my opinion.

I hope I'm wrong and there's a chance I will be but I wish UMers wouldn't be so blind.

good post.

I agree. Miami players are overrated by some fans.

But...

Taylor will go into the NFL, and will immediately become one of the top three in the league.

Wilfork is the second best DT in the draft, remember the premium on Dlinemen last year. Robertson, Sullivan, Suggs, Williams, Kennedy, Warren, Haynes, McDougle, Pace, Joesph, Brayton all going r.1

Vilma and Williams are the best two linebackers in the draft. Both may be gone by the time we pick. Jon IMO definitely will. DJ will be around. I here what you say bout his instincts. But he is an athlete.

Carey is the third best lineman in the draft. WE need linemen. and Andrews and Gallery may be gone. That makes him a good pick

I don't think anyone is being a homer.

The local U is gna get watched a lot, I dunno, but aren't Dallas fans the same about Texas U. YOu heard the reception Ricky got at Texas Stadium.

Miami Players are worth whatever it takes to get them. Just go down the list; Shockey, Moss, McGahee, Morgan, Lewis, Reed, Buchanon...the list goes on and it will continue in this draft too.

umm, last I checked UM was one of the best teams in the country last year. Maybe they did that with a bunch of overrated players.

I actually think that Wilfork has a chance to be very special in the NFL. I wish we could get him but he'll be gone.I know Taylor will be gone and I don't think we should go LB in round one and I wouldn't take Carey at 20 but if I had my choice, I'd have Wilfork push that pocket back and Ogun and JT would get even more sacks.

Ozzy rules!!

There are more important things about players in the draft than what college they went to. I wouldn't be against drafting Carey if we trade down a few spots but saying that we should draft players because they went to a certain college is stupid. We should draft players based on their talent, not based on what college they went to.

I'm sorry, but Winslow Jr is much better then Shockey. Winslow is the type of TE that can change a game. Either with a pancake block that free's someone or with a spectacular catch. Shockey's nice, but Winslow is more well rounded and will THRIVE in the NFL.

Phins34 said:
Miami Players are worth whatever it takes to get them. Just go down the list; Shockey, Moss, McGahee, Morgan, Lewis, Reed, Buchanon...the list goes on and it will continue in this draft too.

You forgot Portis and James, Two of my favorites

What a terribel post. You get on the UM fans for being proud of their players and say they are overrated, but then you keep saying things like "I know they do well in the NFL". Dude it isn't hype, its reality. There was a great segment about this on ESPN. The reason UM players are getting drafted is because they do well in the NFL. By a high percentage of success, they are great picks. As previously said go down the list. They get drafted and they make teams and usually star.

This year will be no different. I don't know what Winslow you have been watching but he, Sean Taylor, and Robert Gallery are the real can't miss picks of the draft.

Until Miami players flop and bust in the NFL, they deserve the hype and attention they get. Who are you to rain on their or our parade?

Phins34 said:

I can't believe you listed McGahee...........boy hasn't even done anything yet. That definately smells of homer right there........

Chips...I gotta disagree with you about Carey...He might be the third best tackle, but Smiley is a better guard than Carey is a tackle/guard and Grove is a better center than Carey is at his position....I just think that when a question is about attitude, with any player, you have to be real concerned...he has been known to be lazy and take off against lesser opponents...There aren't any lesser opponents in the NFL...he needs to learn that quickly...But IF he can get over this, and mature, he should be a fine player...I'd still take Smiley at #20 over Carey though...

As far as UM players go, the reason most fans feel the way they do is that we are here and close to these guys...I went to Penn St. and in Happy Valley, everyone thinks PSU players walk on water...it's the same at any big time college...(you don;t think that those @#$%$# gator fans think their players are good ??) But UM does have the recent history of putting quality players into the NFL (Thanks most recently to Butch)....

well im not gonna lie, i probably am a UM homer but the fact is, i know most of these guys! Im in classes with them, i am friends with some of them.. so i will always want them to go high in the draft! But it is true, UM players do well in the NFL... look at all the names people have typed... lets not forget that there are not many UM flops in NFL history.

As for Winslow not being as good as Shockey... those two are best friends and during the offseason, Jeremy comes back down to train with Kellen. They are actually pretty equal in talent... (and attitude for that matter ;)). But heart for the game... it may not show it on tv but Kellen loves the sport more than anyone you would ever meet.

I just dont remember the last time the Dolphins selected someone from UM and i think its about time. I always root for UM players no matter what. I hate the Jets with everything in me but a good friend of mine happens to play for them and i root for him. NOT THE TEAM!!

I just dont understand why your so upset that so many people on here are hoping we pick up a UM player. I look at these players UM has in the draft right now and i can almost promise that every one of them will contribute in one way or another... you can count on it.

Back
Top Bottom