UM's Shannon makes the first steal from Saban | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UM's Shannon makes the first steal from Saban

Marve is a better QB than Fanuzzi IMO.

So it's more like Miami won but not by all that much.

I didn't think Fanuzzi was even ranked? Or at least not in the same field as Mr Football. Also, Fanuzzi went to Alabama AFTER learning Marve was leaving Alabama for Miami. So we didn't lose Fanuzzi, we picked the better QB and Fanuzzi went to a school lacking a QB recruit.

I didn't think Fanuzzi was even ranked? Or at least not in the same field as Mr Football. Also, Fanuzzi went to Alabama AFTER learning Marve was leaving Alabama for Miami. So we didn't lose Fanuzzi, we picked the better QB and Fanuzzi went to a school lacking a QB recruit.

I'm pretty sure it is the other way around. Fanuzzi switched first I thought.

I'm pretty sure it is the other way around. Fanuzzi switched first I thought.

Fanuzzi commited to Bama first, but the reason he commited to Bama is that Coker had told him if he signed we wouldnt be looking at other QB's. Shannon had no intention of keeping that promise and wen after Marve who decommited from Bama. Once he did that Fanuzzi commited to Bama and Marve ended up in Miami.

Yep. Fanuzzi saw the writting on the wall once Marve looked like he was gonna be a cane. That set off a domino effect of Saban getting in Fanuzzi's ear after hearing that Marve was no longer his, Fanuzzi getting a jump on the whole thing by committing to Bama before Marve could do so for us, yada yada. Don't let the chronology of the events fool you.

If there was "writing on the wall," Saban and staff saw it. Applewhite was going to offer Fanuzzi either way, and they did and Fanuzzi accepted. Marve waited a week, then decommitted. Applewhite had a pre-existing relationship with Fanuzzi when he was trying to convince him to go to Rice.
Also, from what I've read and heard it appears that Saban didn't kiss Marve's father's @ss like Shula did and that rubbed Mr. Marve the wrong way...prob had something to do with Robert's decision.

Believe what you'd like.

If there was "writing on the wall," Saban and staff saw it. Applewhite was going to offer Fanuzzi either way, and they did and Fanuzzi accepted. Marve waited a week, then decommitted. Applewhite had a pre-existing relationship with Fanuzzi when he was trying to convince him to go to Rice.
Also, from what I've read and heard it appears that Saban didn't kiss Marve's father's @ss like Shula did and that rubbed Mr. Marve the wrong way...prob had something to do with Robert's decision.

Good logic except your missing one fact.

Marve was visiting with us before he decommited from Bama or Fanuzzi decommited from us. Like I said Coker promised Fanuzzi he would be the only QB recruited this year and Fanuzzi didn't like that Shannon didnt keep that promise.

I wasn't planning on responding in-depth but I feel compelled.

Nick Fanuzzi was promised to be our only QB recruit of the year by a desperate Larry Coker, who hadn't pulled a QB in 2 years. Fanuzzi was arguably our strongest commit up till that time, making comments like, "No matter what happens, I'm totally committed to Miami." This came despite rumors that he was afraid of competion, hence Coker promising to sign him only, despite the huge QB deficiency on our roster.

Coker was then fired. Randy took over and, seeing our QB problem, began recruiting Marve, whose commit to Bama had softened since firing Shula, not because he "kissed his @ss" but because his father, Eugene Marve, had history with Mike from his playing days(Eugene played in the NFL for 12 years). Randy obviously preferred what he brought to the table over Fanuzzi, which I agreed with and said so when Fanuzzi was still a cane commit, although we all hoped, as did Randy, to land both. Robert took an unofficial visit, and was recruited by Joe Pannunzio and Patrick Nix.

Fanuzzi then began taking other visits, one to Michigan if I remember correctly, and some others. Then, on the heels of this news, he committed to Alabama. Some of us say that the rumors were true, that he's afraid of competition like was proposed at the outset of his recruitment, others say he simply liked Alabama better. I'm not going to comment on his affinity or lack thereof for quality competition at his position, but I strongly, strongly believe that if Larry Coker were still coach, and we had never given Marve the time of day, Fanuzzi would have signed with us yesterday, no question. And I thank god it didn't turn out that way, because I'll take Marve over Fanuzzi every day and twice on gamedays.

Back
Top Bottom