Unanswred Questions heading into the regular season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unanswred Questions heading into the regular season

scotgif

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Now that this grueling pre-season is over, and we can start playing the games that really matter, I want to see just how much we have accomplished, and what questions still remain unanswered at this point.

Runing Game: We really did not see enough of RW to determine if it will happen, but there were signs, here and there, that it will be improved.

OL play: This is one of, if not the biggest concern on the team, still, at this late point in the pre-season. Not so much for the talent, but for the continued prescence of the injury bug. We just can not stay healthy on the OL. Brent Smith, now Searcy, plus little nagging ailments to most of the other guys on the line, have held this unit back from gelling together, and getting that very-impotant cohiesiveness that an OL desperately needs to play as a unit, and not 5 different guys doing their own things.

Pass Defense: It has been good, but the big plays have crept up on us the last couple games. The biggest concern, obviously, is the nickel corner, where Jamar Fletcher continues to struggle, despite the spin that Wanny will try and put on it. Like many others, I defintely see us bringing in at least one Vet-CB this week, after cut-down day, to see if there is any help out there. I still would love to see Al Harris in a fins uni.

There are other areas that should be watched, as well, but I feel that we are in good shape, but can not afford any more set-backs on the OL. This has got to be the number one priority of Wannspeil, to get this unit into gear. That said, I don't know how you plan against injury. You just have to be lucky. In this day and age on the cap-strapped NFL, you can't just stockpile players, and hide them away, until emergency.

That said, I like our chances. I say 11-5. From there on, who knows?

Another area of concern???....I see a large hole at back-up DT.

The Bears ran for over 200yrds against us last night.

Te pre-season average against the run for the Phinz is over a whopping 150yrds a game!!!!......

We need a back-up corner to replace J. Fletcher, and I think we need a better back-up core at DT. We can't continue to give up that kind of yardage on the ground if we plan on reaching the Super Bowl.....

The OL is doing fine IMO. N. Turner had one of the worst OLs' in the NFL last season, and he still managed to move the Chargers offense from #22 to #11 in one season as OC.....

The offense is awesome. No worries at all....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I agree with ya Blitzkrieg...I'd be looking to use my cap money on a 4th DB(or 3rd if you think that way.)

A good run stuffing bakup DT...we looked pretty weak there I hear.

I would like to get a vet LB unless Galyon can be healthy again.

Any good OL that can be brought in is, as always, welcomed.

I really could care less if our average against the run was 400yds a game. I say this because I know that our main defense was not hardly in the game. I'll look at the stats from the first quarter to gauge how our teams did. Other then that I see the 2nd and 3rd string to be more of a filler in case of injury.

What this blitz with a positive outlook on something ? Just Kidding Blitz. But this offense has a real chance to be very explosive this year...

Originally posted by IceStorm
...... Other then that I see the 2nd and 3rd string to be more of a filler in case of injury.

Don't forget that Wanny uses a 4 man rotation at both DT and DE. The "2nd string" defensive linemen must be able to hold there own while spelling the starters.

All I have to say about our defense is that Zach Thomas said that they are running real basic formations in oreseason, nothing special. He said that they aren't going to show anybody what they are going to do. Wait until Detroit and then start complaining if we are having problems, until then it doesn't matter. I'm not saying we are perfect, or there aren't any areas that need improvemnt, because there are, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Our Pass rush is awesome!!!!

Originally posted by chambers84
All I have to say about our defense is that Zach Thomas said that they are running real basic formations in oreseason, nothing special. He said that they aren't going to show anybody what they are going to do. Wait until Detroit and then start complaining if we are having problems, until then it doesn't matter. I'm not saying we are perfect, or there aren't any areas that need improvemnt, because there are, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Our Pass rush is awesome!!!!

thats it brother!:yell: talkin preseason is almost useless when talkin Fins especially when justin severns gets cut. cut henry taylor and its even more useless :monkey:

i think i saw somewhere how Norv Turner is known for not showing anything in the preseason...so our offence should finally be as good as our defence!!! go phins 13-3

Originally posted by stan marino
i think i saw somewhere how Norv Turner is known for not showing anything in the preseason...so our offence should finally be as good as our defence!!! go phins 13-3

This is correct and you know he didn't show anything against Chicago, since we have to play them again Dec 9th..
the backup DT's will be okay,,they will be playing with the 1st D in their rotations and won't look at bad..In preseason they've been playing with the backups and our backups as a unit and showing why they aren't the starters...even though some of them could start on other teams..

Back
Top Bottom