Undrafted Bulldog Pursue Nfl Dreams | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Undrafted Bulldog Pursue Nfl Dreams

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score

The biggest surprise among the undrafted Georgia Bulldogs was Jonathan Ledbetter. The 6’4 280 pound defensive lineman, was a Second Team All SEC selection last season. He overcame alcohol arrests earlier in his career and become a captain for the Bulldogs squad as a senior. Ledbetter had a solid stint during his time in Athens registering 122 tackles, 14.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks and two forced fumbles in his four-year career. He played just two of those seasons as a starter. The fact that Ledbetter is a tweener that isn’t quick enough to rush the passer from the edge, yet he is not quite large enough to play defensive tackle in the NFL, is likely what hurt his draft stock.

2018 Stats: Tackles:56 TFL:6.5 Sacks:1 FF:1
2018 Pro Football Focus Grades:
Overall:83.2 Run Defense:88.7 Pass Rush:67.2

Analyst Kyle Crabbs of The Draft Network projected Ledbetter as a round six pick. He offered these thoughts on Jonathan Ledbetter:

Jonathan Ledbetter is caught between positions and his pro team will need to help decide where he ought to play and dictate his weight from there. Ledbetter lacks burst and explosiveness at 280, to me he would be best served adding 10-15 pounds and playing as a B-gap defender in base odd fronts. Ledbetter has good, reliable hands and shouldn’t be asked to become something he isn’t as a penetration style player. Quality role player/depth player.

https://atlallday.com/2019/05/01/georgia-football-undrafted-bulldogs-pursue-nfl-dreams/

i think out of all the FA's he is the biggest lock to make the team due to his position and scheme fit.

I prefer the other Bulldog UDFA (Calhoun), but Leadbetter is a fit from a frame standpoint. He's just a terrible athlete.

I prefer the other Bulldog UDFA (Calhoun), but Leadbetter is a fit from a frame standpoint. He's just a terrible athlete.

Sir, that declaration seems a tad "aggressive" to me.

:)

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jonathan-ledbetter

PROS: Unbelievable frame with ideal, height, weight, length and muscle distribution. Powerful, heavy-handed defender in the trenches. Overwhelmed tight ends and fullbacks at the point of attack. Low pad level allows him to drop anchor and stack and shed blockers in a phone booth.

Nasty swim move to work over top of blockers as a pass rusher. Has powerful hands and has flashed the ability to create movement as a bull rusher. Varies his pace and can lull blockers to sleep before snapping into a plan of attack. Tough, physical football player billed as one of the defensive leaders going into 2018. Projects to inside pass rush work in the NFL, a growing role.

CONS: Overall athleticism and explosiveness is average. Not a true edge-bender, at his best working a linear rush path to the quarterback. Misses too many stops in space due to hip tightness and struggles to change direction. Range of impact on the edge, in terms of perimeter and behind the line of scrimmage stops, will likely be limited.

Stance is square most of the time at Georgia, so there could be some upside to his first step with different coaching. For now, won't threaten tackles off the snap and does not have great pace up the arc. Pass rush wins are usually slow burn. Loses control of his frame at times and can get over-extended. Likely limited to a rotational role in the NFL, probably on the interior.

For me he's a fine UFDA pickup with a legit chance to land or at least PC.

However I reserve the right to be wrong.

BNF

He has very limited production. That tells me he won't really do anything

Sir, that declaration seems a tad "aggressive" to me.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jonathan-ledbetter

PROS: Unbelievable frame with ideal, height, weight, length and muscle distribution. Powerful, heavy-handed defender in the trenches. Overwhelmed tight ends and fullbacks at the point of attack. Low pad level allows him to drop anchor and stack and shed blockers in a phone booth.

Nasty swim move to work over top of blockers as a pass rusher. Has powerful hands and has flashed the ability to create movement as a bull rusher. Varies his pace and can lull blockers to sleep before snapping into a plan of attack. Tough, physical football player billed as one of the defensive leaders going into 2018. Projects to inside pass rush work in the NFL, a growing role.

CONS: Overall athleticism and explosiveness is average. Not a true edge-bender, at his best working a linear rush path to the quarterback. Misses too many stops in space due to hip tightness and struggles to change direction. Range of impact on the edge, in terms of perimeter and behind the line of scrimmage stops, will likely be limited.

Stance is square most of the time at Georgia, so there could be some upside to his first step with different coaching. For now, won't threaten tackles off the snap and does not have great pace up the arc. Pass rush wins are usually slow burn. Loses control of his frame at times and can get over-extended. Likely limited to a rotational role in the NFL, probably on the interior.

For me he's a fine UFDA pickup with a legit chance to land or at least PC.

However I reserve the right to be wrong.

BNF

If a 5.14 40 and a 26.5" vert at 280 is average, I'd hate to see what bad looks like.

If a 5.14 40 and a 26.5" vert at 280 is average, I'd hate to see what bad looks like.

Of course the measurables debate.

Obviously there's a "reason" the kid went UDFA -- and I'm sure his lack of "numbers" contributed heavily to that.

My simple point is -- from the limited sample I've seen -- he doesn't look like a "terrible athlete" on the field.

Don't you think that's a tad overstated?

Of course the measurables debate.

Obviously there's a "reason" the kid went UDFA -- and I'm sure his lack of "numbers" contributed heavily to that.

My simple point is -- from the limited sample I've seen -- he doesn't look like a "terrible athlete" on the field.

Don't you think that's a tad overstated?

Respectfully, no, I think "terrible athlete" is exactly right.

Walter had him as the 24th DE in the draft going in rounds 5 to 7. His numbers most certainly lead to his UDFA status. If you look at the company around his ranking their performances at their workouts were much better.

But who knows he might be the next diamond and we certainly need one at the DE potion.

I'm not gonna sit here and think we're gonna have a bunch if UDFA's on the team that are gonna be real good but there are 3 that I like their chances.
Preston Williams-WR
Terrill Hanks-LB
Deion Calhoun-OG

I believe all 3 have a good chance to make the team with Williams being the one that could really be a great one if he can stay in line.

Will not be shock to see Watson and one or two more guys make the team as well. I believe some of those guys will be competing for roster spots with some of the guys we got from the AAf. These are guys you'll need for ST's for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom