Unit Analysis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unit Analysis

FinFan57

Practice Squad
Reaction score
When considering free agency and the draft for next year's team, it makes sense to determine the overall weaknesses and problems with the current team. Some of things I will mention are certainly not new to the board, but the main point of this thread is to view the team from unit or group problems, such as poor secondary play, not stopping the run well when Traylor wasn't healthy, too many dropped passes, etc.

The 2005 Dolphins were plagued with inconsistency, overall poor QB play (solid in some games though), receivers who dropped way too many passes, an O-line that pass blocked very well, but didn't run block well, a defensive line that shut down the run when Traylor played and looked bad at other times against the run, and a secondary that was consistently poor.

From that analysis, I would say we need a quality receiver, QB, at least 1 quality O-linemen, 1 DT, and at least 1 DB.

Many have talked about picking up Hutchinson or Bentley as free agent O-linemen, but I believe they will either be tagged, re-signed, or if let go they will attract a huge bidding war. With Houck in his camp, Saban will not get into a bidding war for O-linemen. The draft is where we will get at least one maybe two O-linemen.

Same thing with QB. You have to grow your own. We have plenty of good #2 QB's, we need a starter and he will come from the draft.

I think Reggie Wayne, because of Indy's salary cap status, may be available. He played for the Canes and would really compliment Chambers well. Booker may be a cap casualty.

Our secondary needs more help than any other unit, so I think at least 1 guy from the draft and 1 veteran will be chosen.

DT is an interesting position. With Manny Wright improving and Vickerson (who looked good in camp), do we go for another young player? Maybe big Keith Traylor is good for one more year. Ngata would be great, but out of reach.

Obviously an outside linebacker would be nice as well.

No question we will need another great draft and 2 solid veterans to improve next year.

That's probably true about Hutch and LeCharles. But if that is the case, then obviously Reggie Wayne will command a lot of money as well.
Overall a good post btw.

Back
Top Bottom