Updated 1st Round Targets (following combine) | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Updated 1st Round Targets (following combine)

This might actually be a higher possibility than we think. Especially if Miami loses Wilkins, Hunt and Van Ginkel. As much as I'm an optimistic, it could be a step back year.
It’s possible, but I somehow think we might improve. Perhaps slightly less talented, but more disciplined. McD more experienced, hopefully an DC who will adapt to his players.

It’s possible, but I somehow think we might improve. Perhaps slightly less talented, but more disciplined. McD more experienced, hopefully an DC who will adapt to his players.
Definitely could happen. That's my hope.

Maybe this should be posted after the start of free agency, but following the NFL Combine here are my thoughts on Miami's targets at 21. Reports from Pro Football Focus (PFF).

T TROY FAUTANU, WASHINGTON

Fautanu has elite movement skills for an offensive lineman. As a college left tackle, his best position will likely be on the interior due to lack of length, but he’ll be able to play tackle in a pinch. He’ll need to add more power to be a full-time interior player, but the finesse parts of his game are to be coveted — his flexibility, foot speed, balance and hand quickness are all top-tier.

T AMARIUS MIMS, GEORGIA

Take one look at Mims, and the immediate takeaway will be, “They don't make many like this dude.” He has a massive frame, but he's athletic with it, too. His flexibility allows him to get a wide base while keeping his back flat to generate a ton of power and more leverage than one would expect. He's light on experience but will be coveted come draft time.

IOL GRAHAM BARTON, DUKE (slight trade down)​

Barton plays left tackle for the Blue Devils but is on the shorter side in regard to length for an NFL offensive tackle. This might cause a shift to an interior position in the pros, but wherever he ends up, he has starting-caliber strength and skill.

C JACKSON POWERS-JOHNSON, OREGON

Powers-Johnson has graded very well at several offensive line positions over the past three seasons and found a more stable home at center in 2023. His wrestling background gives him very good core strength and balance for redirection and maintaining blocks. His pas level is a bit high, which is the root of most of his negative plays. The rest of his game is well-rounded; he has a starting-caliber combination of power and movement skills for guard or center.

T TYLER GUYTON, OKLAHOMA (slight trade down)​

Guyton has very good movement skills for an offensive tackle of his size. He explodes off the ball and is a force when blocking in open space. Though he can move well in pass protection, his strike timing and hand placement need refining (stems from low hands). He is not a finished product, but he is an alluring athlete.

T JORDAN MORGAN, ARIZONA (slight trade down)​

Morgan could have been a draft pick last year but tore his ACL in November. He has starting-caliber movement skills in pass protection but could stand to be a more impactful run-blocker.

TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA

Bowers has been the best tight end in college football over the past two seasons. He might not get picked as early as Kyle Pitts, but many will think he's a better prospect because of what he can do as a blocker in addition to his receiving ability.

EDGE JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE

No player in college football has elevated their stock more over the past two seasons than Verse, who went from the FCS to a first-round talent. He's a weight-room warrior who forces offensive linemen to use all their strength to stay in front of him.

EDGE LAIATU LATU, UCLA

Latu has the best pass-rush profile of any edge rusher in the 2024 class. His hand usage, reaction time and first-step athleticism are first-round caliber in all categories.

WR BRIAN THOMAS JR., LSU

Thomas is one of a handful of burners in this class who can really stretch the field. He's a major part of why LSU's offense is top-three in the FBS in passing yards per game, passing yards per attempt and passing touchdowns. His route tree isn't as diverse as Nabors', but he is improving in that area.

QB BO NIX, OREGON

The underwhelming Bo Nix we knew from Auburn seems long gone. Nowadays, Nix is seen as a good dual-threat athlete with a legit NFL arm. Most importantly, he's playing much better under pressure, even if he isn't pressured as often.

WR LADD MCCONKEY, GEORGIA

McConkey is one of the best route runners in this class. But, unlike some stereotypical expectations, he doesn't just have quick speed; he also has good long speed. He is a slot guy at the next level due to size, but a more versatile one because of that all-around speed.

CB QUINYON MITCHELL, TOLEDO

Mitchell has some of the highest ball-production numbers in the FBS over the last two seasons. His forced incompletion total and forced incompletion percentage are both top-10 in the FBS. He doesn't have much experience in press coverage, but he has great recovery speed in off-coverage to still make plays on the ball.

DI BYRON MURPHY II, TEXAS

T’Vondre Sweat gets most of the notoriety among Texas’ defensive linemen, but Murphy is also a future pro and showed that this season. He’s not a size monster like Sweat — Murphy is listed at 6-foot-1, 305 pounds — but his quickness and strength at the three-technique position yielded a 91.8 pass-rush grade in 2023. He also made Bruce Feldman’s “College Football Freaks List” for his strength, front squatting 455 pounds and power cleaning 375.

WR XAVIER WORTHY, TEXAS

The NFL will always covet speed, which is why we know the NFL will covet Xavier Worthy. He's a former track star who has some of the best getaway speed in the country when it comes to adding in yards after the catch. He's also getting more reliable using that speed to stretch the field before he gets the ball in his hands.

DT/DE Darius Robinson, Missouri​

Robinson is a powerful lineman who can line up anywhere from zero- to a seven-technique. He won't win with speed much at the next level, but he certainly can with power. His strength profile projects to a rotational role as a floor with starting potential if he can continue to hone in on his pass-rush plans.
Thanks for this write-up; after our little FA haul, I was wondering who to start looking over. This gives me a good place to start.

Have to think DT is one of the early picks for Miami.
I have been thinking OT/DT as the early targets for quite some time.

OT was obvious and as it became more and more clear things were not going to work out with Wilkins then DT became obvious as well.

As much as I want to find the LT to eventually replace Armstead DT might be the better value at #21.One of Murphy or Newton should make it to Miami.

I like Kris Jenkins in R2 as well as Ruke Orhorhro and Sweat.

The Fins should be able to find talent at both spots with their two early picks.

Have to think DT is one of the early picks for Miami.
Yes probably so. Maybe Murphy at 21 or Robinson if we trade down. Jenkins or the Clemson DT could be round 2 options. I am not so sure about Sweat, his weight concerns me and he might project as a NT only. i think we could grab a NT in the mid rounds.

Our defense still needs another DE even after signing Barrett and another DB to start opposite Ramsey but will probably address that in Free Agency.

Yes probably so. Maybe Murphy at 21 or Robinson if we trade down. Jenkins or the Clemson DT could be round 2 options. I am not so sure about Sweat, his weight concerns me and he might project as a NT only. i think we could grab a NT in the mid rounds.

Our defense still needs another DE even after signing Barrett and another DB to start opposite Ramsey but will probably address that in Free Agency.
Agree. SF might now be looking for a DT so that trade down scenario with them could be iffy. I guess we'll have to see what free agency brings.

I have been thinking OT/DT as the early targets for quite some time.

OT was obvious and as it became more and more clear things were not going to work out with Wilkins then DT became obvious as well.

As much as I want to find the LT to eventually replace Armstead DT might be the better value at #21.One of Murphy or Newton should make it to Miami.

I like Kris Jenkins in R2 as well as Ruke Orhorhro and Sweat.

The Fins should be able to find talent at both spots with their two early picks.
Who do you like better between Murphy and Newton?

But do we need a premium DT or just a massive run stuffer ? I think both Murphy and Newton will be there at 21 but I’d prefer an OT or even get crazy and select a WR. I’m just going to assume a trade down won’t happen but that’s obviously my preference.

Murphy is probably a shade higher of a prospect due to being a little bigger and a little stronger.

Newton is more likely to make it to #21 but neither is a guarantee to last that long.
It seems like Newton is always mocked higher, but I agree with you.

But do we need a premium DT or just a massive run stuffer ? I think both Murphy and Newton will be there at 21 but I’d prefer an OT or even get crazy and select a WR. I’m just going to assume a trade down won’t happen but that’s obviously my preference.
If Arik Armstead could be had for a good price, he's someone who wouldn't affect Miami's comp picks. I don't love him as a player because he's hurt lot, but he is pretty good when healthy. A gamble that could pay off.

That type of free agent signing could allow Miami to go wide receiver in R1 and follow up with offensive line help.

What wr would you target?

If Arik Armstead could be had for a good price, he's someone who wouldn't affect Miami's comp picks. I don't love him as a player because he's hurt lot, but he is pretty good when healthy. A gamble that could pay off.

That type of free agent signing could allow Miami to go wide receiver in R1 and follow up with offensive line help.

What wr would you target?

Honestly it’s such a fantasy I haven’t even studied the first round WR’s that might be there at 21. Do we really have go with a bigger body WR? Every mock I do when I get extra picks I take Roman Wilson in the late second early third. I think he’s a more athletic Wes Welker.

Back
Top Bottom