Upgraded, Downgraded, Stayed the Same...You be the Judge! | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upgraded, Downgraded, Stayed the Same...You be the Judge!

I honestly still believe that last year we had a great team that was decimated by key injuries. I think we will be great this year if healthy. Mostly Tua and the Oline staying healthy as RB's are obviously upgraded as are WR and TE. This will all rely on those first 2 as we will have depth in the other 3. Tua made average linemen look better with his quick release. Tyreek and Waddle of course helped with that.

As for defence, I think we are better. Howard looked old and injured, Baker was terrible for years and Wilkins although I love him like no one else was over rated. If we get a boost from injury like we did with Ramsey last year with Chubb and Phillips then I expect this team to finally win a division and at least one playoff game. Each of those accomplishments would be a success.

Only the Jets last year had more injuries and different starting Olines than the Dolphins. It will be somebody else's turn this year.

Last edited:
So, with the final phase of free agency looming, and a few moves still to be made (maybe), where does Miami stand talent-wise compared to last season? Here's my take.

Quarterback (Same)
Tua Tagovailoa still may have an uptick in his game, especially since we are hearing he has slimmed down, and he's always been someone who keeps working to get better. Mike White could be a tad better in year two of Mike McDaniel's offense as well. I think with the new rules, Skylar Thompson either makes the practice squad or plays elsewhere. I don't see teams rostering three quarterbacks. The big question is whether Tua can, once again, get through the season without getting injured, and if he can he finish strong?

Offensive Line (Downgraded)
The surprise of the draft, was that Miami didn't upgrade the interior of the offensive line. Losing Robert Hunt and having Liam Eichenberg, Robert Davis, or Jack Driscoll as replacements is a downgrade. I'd say Hunt was a B+ and these guys are in the C- range, if we like it in terms of grades (again on paper). Getting Isaiah Wynn back could help. Drafting Patrick Paul is a nice long-term answer at LT. Miami likely will go as far as the offensive line takes them. Last year, this group was middle of the pack before injuries took their toll. Will that be good enough? Is there still a move to be made here?

Wide Receiver (Upgraded)
Adding Odell Beckham Jr. and drafting the two Washington's (Malik and Tahj) upgrades a unit that needed some talent behind Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle. This is going to be fun to watch! I think Beckham still has enough juice.

Tight End (Upgraded)
Jonnu Smith gives Miami a legitimate receiving threat to pair with Durham Smythe. Jody Fortson, Julian Hill, Tanner Conner and Hayden Rucci battle for one or two spots.

Running Back (Upgraded)
The surprise pick of the draft, Jaylen Wright, almost looks like a clone of Raheem Mostert and he can block. That could mean playing time right away. After coming off a stellar rookie year, De'Von Achane looks bigger and stronger. The final spots figure to be a battle between Jeff Wilson, Salvon Ahmed and Chris Brooks.

Defensive Line (Downgraded)
Replacing Christian Wilkins is no easy task. Chris Grier pivoted pretty well with Teair Tart, Neville Gallimore and Benito Jones the key additions. I think it's a decent to good defensive line, but Wilkins will be missed.

Linebacker (Upgraded)
I really like what Grier did here. Last year, David Long Jr. turned out to be a really good addition for Miami. This year Grier added Shaquil Barrett, Quinton Bell, Jordyn Brooks (physical!), Cam Brown (ST), and Anthony Walker. In the draft, the Dolphins picked Chop Robinson and Mohamed Kamara.

Secondary (Same)
Kendall Fuller replacing Xavier Howard is probably an upgrade at this point in X's career. Jordan Poyer is a nice add at safety, although DeShon Elliott and Brandon Jones are both gone. I think Cam Smith will have a better chance to emerge in Weaver's defense as he was apparently in Fangio's doghouse. It was recently reported that Nik Needham could move to safety. I could definitely see a June add here.

Special Teams (Same)
This is a tough one to predict. Miami has some athletes who could really help in the return game and with the new kickoff rules. But the Dolphins coverage teams were up and down last year. Also, I am surprised the team didn't upgrade at punter.
Totally forgot about Siran Neal. Punt coverage should be a lot better 🤞

QB - Same

OL - Slight downgrade - C and RG are downgraded from Williams and Hunt to Brewer and probably Eichenberg. I thought our OL missed Williams more than Hunt last year since in the games Hunt missed, there really was not a noticeable difference in the overall OL performance. I think Eichenberg will play well enough that Hunt really wont be missed that much.

WR - Upgrade - WR3 has been improved greatly with the addition of OBJ and M. Washington imrpoves WR4.

TE - Upgrade - Smith is an upgrade over Smythe.

RB - Upgrade - Wright improves our depth which will probably be tested.

DL - Downgrade - We basically replaced Wilkins with several mediocre DT's. Hopefully with a rotation that will keep them fresher.

LB - Upgrade - I really like the additions of Brooks and Walker in the middle and Barrett Robinson and Kamara on the outside.

Secondary - Same - X has been in decline for a few years. Fuller is a nice addition. Cam Smith is an unknown. How well he plays will really determine if this is an upgrade or downgrade. Poyer basically replaces Elliott. I hope we can sign Justin Simmons. He could take our secondary to the next level.

Special Teams - Same - Its really to early to tell so I will just say they will be the same as last year.

We have upgraded Linebackers, and that will be a big deal on defense and special teams. Brooks, Long, Walker is the best group since Dansby was in tow.

Will Fuller (good catch RayJ 🤣 KendallFuller) is a massive upgrade! Poyer will be better vs pass, but I thought Elliot was a good fit with Holland.

Edge will be an upgrade when the health of JP15 and Chubb return.

WR depth has upgraded significantly. TE has been upgraded.

OL is downgraded. But maybe the development we saw last year continues and they prove us wrong.

DL seems to be downgraded, but the emphasis of our defense from DL to LB may make the DL less relevant from prior schemes. We shall see.

Specials have been upgraded outside of kickers.

Last edited:
QB - Same

OL - Slight downgrade - C and RG are downgraded from Williams and Hunt to Brewer and probably Eichenberg. I thought our OL missed Williams more than Hunt last year since in the games Hunt missed, there really was not a noticeable difference in the overall OL performance. I think Eichenberg will play well enough that Hunt really wont be missed that much.

WR - Upgrade - WR3 has been improved greatly with the addition of OBJ and M. Washington imrpoves WR4.

TE - Upgrade - Smith is an upgrade over Smythe.

RB - Upgrade - Wright improves our depth which will probably be tested.

DL - Downgrade - We basically replaced Wilkins with several mediocre DT's. Hopefully with a rotation that will keep them fresher.

LB - Upgrade - I really like the additions of Brooks and Walker in the middle and Barrett Robinson and Kamara on the outside.

Secondary - Same - X has been in decline for a few years. Fuller is a nice addition. Cam Smith is an unknown. How well he plays will really determine if this is an upgrade or downgrade. Poyer basically replaces Elliott. I hope we can sign Justin Simmons. He could take our secondary to the next level.

Special Teams - Same - Its really to early to tell so I will just say they will be the same as last year.
You don't think Fuller over X makes it an upgrade? I mean we're 4 months away from real games but it seems like an upgrade at this point

We have upgraded Linebackers, and that will be a big deal on defense and special teams. Brooks, Long, Walker is the best group since Dansby was in tow.

Will Fuller is a massive upgrade! Poyer will be better vs pass, but I thought Elliot was a good fit with Holland.

Edge will be an upgrade when the health of JP15 and Chubb return.

WR depth has upgraded significantly. TE has been upgraded.

OL is downgraded. But maybe the development we saw last year continues and they prove us wrong.

DL seems to be downgraded, but the emphasis of our defense from DL to LB may make the DL less relevant from prior schemes. We shall see.
Please tell me Kendall Fuller doesn't play like Will 🤣

Fuller is a beast! He's lead the league the past 2 seasons with holding WRs to less than 30 yards, his pass coverage grades are great. How we got him so cheaply is baffling.
I love Kendall and the signing. You called him Will Fuller in your first post so I was just messing with you

Back
Top Bottom