Upon Further Review..the dolphin defense is fine | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Upon Further Review..the dolphin defense is fine

Gladsadmad

Active Roster
Reaction score
I was just as upset as most of you were following the Dolphins defensive effort in Monday Night's game..but after thinking about it, I was wrong to think that the defense needs a shakeup.

They just had a bad game..that simple. It happens to every team. The thing that opened my eyes is that the incredible Patriots defense has only given up 15 fewer points than Miami..and they've had their fair share of bad games. The difference?..they win those games.

New England has won this season by scores of 38-30, 30-26 and 38-34. Did you notice how nobody complained about how bad the Pats defense was? Did you notice how nobody said that they blew it when it counted? No one cares when you win.

If Miami would've won vs. the Eagles 40-37, I don't think we would be saying how the defense choked and how they need to dump some of the overpaid players, etc. etc. It's an example of the modern day NFL. Everybody is up and down..it's just that Patriots play as a team. When the offense struggles, they win 9-3 and 12-0...when the defense struggles, they win a shootout. Miami needs to have a team that is capable of winning both kinds of games. Unless they get a better QB, the defense will always be ripped when they play a bad game..because the Dolphins will always lose.

It's solid, but I wouldn't say it's just fine either....

We need help at OLB, and at FS IMO. OLB M. Greenwood sucks, and so does FS B. Marion....

Some say give MG another chance in 2004, and I say go ahead. He wont beat out anyone who he competes with this off-seaosn IMO. Even LB's E. Moore or C. Jenkins could unseat him IMO....

As for B. Marion, he's one of our biggest weaknesses in the secondary IMO. He is suppose to be the deepest man on the field, and how many times have we been toasted deep again this year???....Too many.:cry:

Just my opinion...

PHINZ RULE!!!:fire:

As much as the tackling was bad that night, a consistent problem with the whole team is stupid penalties at crucial times. That has killed the Fins for many years.

I can't count the amount of times it comes down to a big 3rd dwon play, they make the stop and oops theres a yellow flag. I almost expect it now.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

We need help at OLB, and at FS IMO. OLB M. Greenwood sucks, and so does FS B. Marion....

Some say give MG another chance in 2004, and I say go ahead. He wont beat out anyone who he competes with this off-seaosn IMO. Even LB's E. Moore or C. Jenkins could unseat him IMO....

As for B. Marion, he's one of our biggest weaknesses in the secondary IMO. He is suppose to be the deepest man on the field, and how many times have we been toasted deep again this year???....Too many.:cry:

Just my opinion...

Greenwood sucks?:confused:

Only the most improved player this year.The defense is fine?Only lead the NFL YAC and worst Passing defense.

Our defense is great against bad teams, and in the first half of every season.

When there is something at stake, they disappear.

Originally posted by BLITZKRIEG

Just my opinion...

I think greenwood is fine. He will have competition from both you mentioned and pursuing a FA or using a pick on that position would be poorly focused. I could see a different FS but also dont hate marion. I cant tell you how many time I see him at the line playing the run well. He plays more like a ss sometimes and that can cost us. He plays up at the line b/c we have faith in the corners to cover even deep. Good, Bad or Indifferent.

FS B. Marion has been a weakness for years IMO. Even last season he was getting torched. He belongs in the Toilet Bowl, not the Pro Bowl...

This star studded defense???...Alright, I'll give it a go....

Texans - They made our PB defense look like chumps. No sacks agianst them, couldn't stop the run, and gave up a huge play in the secondary. To a rookie WR no less. If that's PB material based on play, something is wrong with this picture.....

New England - OT 80 yard bomb. Nuff said.

Indianapolis - Couldn't stop them early. Gave up too many points to make a late comeback....

@Tennessee - Defense must have missed the flight....No comment.

Washington - The Skinz sliced and diced our defense with a QB they got off of the streets. They should never have lost that game IMO. We got lucky being able to come back and win. Our defense didn't do us any favors that night either....

Philly - Way too many penalties, and missed tackles. QB D. McNabb was relatively untouched, and JT was matched-up against a clealry inferior OT. The defense played horrible, and cost us that game IMO....

Those are just a few of the games. This defense, although star studded with PB talent, has been a major disappointment IMO. We still haven't been able to win in December, and all of those leaders we brought in this off-season haven't improved anything in those regards.....

They were just as good, if not better last year. They weren't any worse that's for sure....

Miami defense is definitely overrated and they've underacheived. I'm just saying that there are no defenses out there that are consistently great every single game. Alot of teams would love to be 3rd in the NFL in points allowed. Too much credit and too much blame goes the defenses way IMO. If the Fins had a top 10 offense, Miami could afford to play below average here and there and it wouldn't cost them games.

If Eddie Moore (fingers crossed) can contribute next year and Ogunleye is retained, Miami has a great nucleus for several more seasons. The Dolphins may need a new direction. A new coach could find better ways to use the talent..possibly?

Greenwood hasnt been able to be on th efield that often due to the presence of Junior and Zach, but whenever he was on the field he was making his share of tackles and i didnt recall any blunders, hes fine, its not 2002 anymore...

I'd say we make a few moves on Defense and improve the Offense. Greenwood has had enough time to make his mark, so a little competition with him from other OLB's shouldnt be a problem. The defense we have has been around for quite some time. Thomas, Surtain, Taylor, Bowens, Marion, and Madison. I feel it's time to part with at least 2 of those names mentioned. SOMETHING has to be done to get this team back in rhythm. But I feel this season is already lost:(

We have a very good run stopping defense that is all, We continually get burnt by the pass. Mostly short dump offs or underneath plays but the run defense is where we have given everyone the notion that we have a stellar defense.

And with the secondary that we have (or don't have) you would think we would have a very balanced attack.

I think that this zone defense scheme that we started using this year has not panned out for the most part.

After I just finished writing the above it just dawned on me that with the number of games we won because the defense kept us in the games is pretty good especially with our sadly weak offense that we have. I change my vote - The defense did a pretty good job for us this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your perspective on our D is wrong IMO. The Phins D makes up 2/3s of our cap, so they need to carry the team. If you want the O and D to be judged equally, you need to spend somewhere near the same amt for each; but that is not what our FO did - they put all the $$$$ in the hands of JT, Sam, Pat and friends and spent little on QB and nothing on the OL

bottom line we cannot improve the O if we keep spending this much on our D

I am not saying Wanny & co is correct for ignoring the Offense, I am just saying that the D has to make up for so much more when the offense is offensive (stink).

Wanny will be looking for a new job because of his Defense at all costs, offense second logic.

Back
Top Bottom