US vs Germany - 2014 version of Germany vs Austria 1982 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

US vs Germany - 2014 version of Germany vs Austria 1982

phins_4_ever

E12 FH Tailgate Gang
Reaction score
They will draw. Brotherly love: Klinsmann/Loew, several players with roots in Germany on the US side, nobody likes Ghana and Portugal anyways.

For those soccer old timers: in 1982 Germany and Austria loved each other so much that they played the following scenario to perfection.
Algeria won their last game the day before Germany and Austria played their last game.
The standings were:
Austria 4 pts (2 wins in 2 games)
Algeria 4 pts (2 wins in 3 games)
Germany 2 pts (1 win in 2 games)
Chile 0 pts (3 games)

Back then they awarded 2 points per win.

The was only 1 scenario in which Algeria would not have made the next round (top two teams qualify) but would have moved Austria and Germany on: a win by Germany with less than a 3 goal differential. Germany scored very early and then both teams literally refused to play and amount to any attack. They carried each other into the next round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1–0_Austria

:lol:

This game is the reason last matches of the group are played at the same time I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong lol

I can very much see both teams sitting back and not over exerting themselves too much.

Fatigue IS a big issue in this Cup and you are better off recharging your batteries.

Plus there is no juggernaut to avoid in our paired group so no one to try and avoid.

I have seen this scenario (ie a tie sends both squads through) and almost every time the teams end up tying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This game is the reason last matches of the group are played at the same time I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong lol

You are correct.
I was actually in Spain back then. Not for the World Cup. Just a vacation with family. Now if anybody ever wants to say soccer is boring that would be the game to pull out. It was horrendous.

Though that game was a reason to have the last group games in each group going on parallel in our case it would not make a difference. A tie would be enough for the US and Germany regardless what happens in the other game.

A lot of theories out there, but I wouldn't overestimate the Klinsman/Loew relationship. Klinsman got all of the credit in 2006 and rumor has it that Loew was pulling all the strings. Maybe there is something to prove by the Germans. Then again maybe that's the American talking to me.

The winner avoids Belgium in the next round . . . the class of Group H . . . but yea, it's not like they are powerhouses and have been pushed by both Algeria and Russia.

A lot of theories out there, but I wouldn't overestimate the Klinsman/Loew relationship. Klinsman got all of the credit in 2006 and rumor has it that Loew was pulling all the strings. Maybe there is something to prove by the Germans. Then again maybe that's the American talking to me.

The winner avoids Belgium in the next round . . . the class of Group H . . . but yea, it's not like they are powerhouses and have been pushed by both Algeria and Russia.

Actually I was making this thread just for fun.
;-)

Actually I was making this thread just for fun.
;-)

A few others were saying the same in coverage after the match. They asked Donavan who said if the match was tied 0-0 at the half, he could see both sides pulling back and going for a tie to advance. When asked about being fair to the other two teams, he said they made their bed.

Not sure how to feel if this happens.

Back
Top Bottom