USA vs Portugal | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

USA vs Portugal

Crazy match. So what are the scenarios now. If we lose to Germany (which we likely will) are we sunk, or does it depend on the goal difference? Since Germany pummeled Portugal, I think we are still in the driver's seat to get through over Portugal.

Crazy match. So what are the scenarios now. If we lose to Germany (which we likely will) are we sunk, or does it depend on the goal difference? Since Germany pummeled Portugal, I think we are still in the driver's seat to get through over Portugal.

If we lose to Germany and Ghana vs Portugal is a tie we are through.
If we lose to Germany and either Ghana or Portugal wins it comes down to goal differential between us and whoever wins Portugal/Ghana.
If Ghana wins we probably would be most likely out as we are only 2 in goal differential apart.
If a team has to win it might as well be Portugal.
But it would definitely be a walk on a tight rope.

U.S. Scenarios

- Win/draw vs. Germany

- Loss and Portugal-Ghana draw

- Loss and win tiebreaker vs. Portugal-Ghana winner

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Tiebreakers

If the United States lose to Germany, Ghana would qualify in their place if either game is decided by a margin of two goals or more. If the U.S. lose by one goal, Ghana would need to win by two goals or be involved in a higher-scoring one-goal win. For instance, a 1-0 scoreline in both games would put the United States through on head to head. So, if the U.S. lose 1-0 then Ghana must win 2-1 to qualify on goals scored.

To surpass the U.S. Portugal will need a goal difference swing of five (head to head is level). So for instance, Portugal would need to win 3-0 and U.S. lose 2-0. The teams will draw lots if goal difference is identical (this would happen with a 3-0 U.S. defeat and a 2-0 Portugal win).

If that goal ends up keeping us out of the knockout stage can we officially name Team USA the Miami Dolphins of soccer?

Just...

gw16170812ragegif-1.gif

What a hell of a rollercoaster. Bad, good, very good, bad. Followed by pretty good reality, and a tremendous hangover.

Overall, I was impressed with our play. The passing was MUCH better than in game #1, and we created a number of scoring opportunities. I fault the 3 defenders in the box not makink a play more tan I do Bradley on the last play. Also, the condition of the team was VG in that heat and humidity.

talking with another dolphins fan friend today, watching the game i almost expected something horrific like that to happen, god damn dolphins have ruined all sports viewing for me...

talking with another dolphins fan friend today, watching the game i almost expected something horrific like that to happen, god damn dolphins have ruined all sports viewing for me...

I guess one could compare this a bit with the Dolphins last year, in both teams needing good outcomes in two games to advance. Difference was Team USA played very well, and left it all on the field.

I guess one could compare this a bit with the Dolphins last year, in both teams needing good outcomes in two games to advance. Difference was Team USA played very well, and left it all on the field.

Yeah, and the Dolphins never had a lead to lose late in either of their final games last year. Hopefully, Team USA will at least tie Germany and none of this will matter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom