USC loss could be huge for The 'U' | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

USC loss could be huge for The 'U'

Tennessee's offense was miserable.

I agree with you Awsi about Sanchez. Neither Corp nor Barkley look up to that form.

Barkley at least has some moxie. Corp looked scared and overmatched. I have no idea why Mustain wasn't given an opportunity.

As a Canes fan, above USC fan, I know I should be somewhat forward thinking about USC's loss from a Miami standpoint. But I wanted both barrels available. Denying Florida is the priority this year. Plus, I'm still skeptical Miami is viable this year.

It was beyond unbearable in '06 and '08 when Florida won the titles but I was convinced USC could have handled them in the bowl.

Based on watching all these teams play through 3 weeks thusfar...my top 15 would have to look something like this...there are several spots that are up for debate...

1. Florida

2. Alabama

3. Texas

4. Penn St.

5. Ole Miss

6. Cal

7. LSU

8. USC

9. TCU

10. Ohio St.

11. Oklahoma

12. Miami

13. Boise St.

14. Virginia Tech

15. Oklahoma St.

And I completely agree with Awsi.....any tough, hard nosed, disciplined, hit you in the mouth, team that has athletes and plays defense has a chance to beat Florida anytime....

That's why they''ve never went undefeated in the SEC under Urban and Saban just did it in only his second season at Bama...

They are on a collision course for another slobber knocker in Atlanta in December....except this Bama team is a year more experienced....

...and knows how to finish...

RTR

Still very premature talk about the U, but yes, this was a big loss for USC, so now they just need to come out and beat Cal later this year.

My thoughts as well. Also, Nebraska not petering out would have helped in our ACC situation, but that's why we're in Blacksburg next week.

Not really . . . that wasn't a conference game. It honestly means nothing . . . and is actually a good thing that they won, it gives the ACC more credibility. And the FSU win was HUGE.

We need to ROLL Va Tech next week and setup a huge game against Oklahoma.

Honestly, if we win the next 2 . . . don't we have to be top 5? Florida, Texas, Bama, Penn State and then us? We should be able to jump some teams, but these teams play each other so it is a process of elimination I guess.

Not really . . . that wasn't a conference game. It honestly means nothing . . . and is actually a good thing that they won, it gives the ACC more credibility. And the FSU win was HUGE.

We need to ROLL Va Tech next week and setup a huge game against Oklahoma.

Honestly, if we win the next 2 . . . don't we have to be top 5? Florida, Texas, Bama, Penn State and then us? We should be able to jump some teams, but these teams play each other so it is a process of elimination I guess.

I'd be pretty surprised if PSU was ranked ahead of us if we went undefeated through the first four. Texas didn't look too good last night - I'd expect them to lose to someone down the road. I think the USC loss pretty much put us in control of our own destiny, but stranger things have happened....

And I completely agree with Awsi.....any tough, hard nosed, disciplined, hit you in the mouth, team that has athletes and plays defense has a chance to beat Florida anytime....

That's why they''ve never went undefeated in the SEC under Urban and Saban just did it in only his second season at Bama...

They are on a collision course for another slobber knocker in Atlanta in December....except this Bama team is a year more experienced....

...and knows how to finish...

RTR

Good points. But it's easier to run the table in the SEC right now, compared to any time in recent memory. Too many of the teams have over rotated, desperate for bundles of points via spread-type football, to the point they've lost their physical edge. It was revolting watching games like Georgia/Arkansas, and Auburn vs. West Virginia last night. Those SEC teams wanted no part of trenches football.

It reminds me of the early '90s, when Oklahoma and Colorado turned away from run oriented option football and all but handed the physical dominance in the conference to Nebraska. That variable was never emphasized enough, when assessing Nebraska's rise in the mid to late '90s with 3 national titles. Once Switzer was gone and Oklahoma was screwing around with Gary Gibbs, and McCartney at Colorado somehow decided he needed to abandon the option despite a share of the national title in '91, Nebraska suddenly didn't have to worry about those games as major stumbling blocks within the conference. They toyed with Colorado physically for years, even though Colorado had acquired some big name offensive skill position players.

The SEC is not nearly as deep as its been, but until the reputation catches up with reality you'll continue to see bloated rankings for some of the teams.

Yeah, I didn't mean in terms of standings, but rather VT's mindset going into the next game. They didn't look good at all, and probably would have been a deflated team had they lost. A late comeback is exciting for everybody, including the fans. Blacksburg isn't an easy place to play in when the house is packed and loud.

If you guys havent figured out USC the past few years. Let me give you a quick break down

1. They come into the season ranked really high.
2. They lose to a PAC10 team they should demolish
3. Kick the crap out of everybody the rest of the season
4. Complain when they don't get into the National Title game
5. Kick the crap out of whoever in a BCS bowl

Then the cycle starts over again

its coming soon, dont worry

Well when it does happen, then you can talk to the team to beat in the ACC about meeting them in the conference championship. The coastal is so much better than the atlantic this year it's not even funny.

Back
Top Bottom