Use of the word retard. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Use of the word retard.

finfan54

Active Roster
Reaction score
people, i am very upset about the use of the word retard since it is used in a mean way towards people and my daughter is down syndrome. there is a line i draw on the use of the word but lately people are using to degrade people which ends up making me feel seiously degraded sicne this is an issue i deal with everyday. i posted remarks stating as much but it seems to be getting worse! My daughter is not someone i look down on and in fact is very inspirational in my life. when people use that word, they are degrading people in the process. sometimes the use just comes to the line in the sand, but it has been crossed IMO alot on this board and people seeom to take great joy in the use of it cus they know how it makes someone feel.

I think Circlewagons should be banned and everyone notified of the use of the word or it should be put on your list of bad words that are asterisked. I feel strongly about this! I am not a politically correct type and i feel strongly to just inform poeple about it, if they abuse that afterwords then IMO, they should get their butts handed to them.

i leave this issue up to you. If nothing happens, i will take the issue further.
Thanks
Gary Skelton

There could be someone on this board who absolutely loves Rochester, & you calling it "Crapchester" could upset them. Obviously that would be pretty soft, but that's just the point. Because the word "retard" offends YOU, doesn't mean that it should be 100% against the rules of the forum. If that's the case, then if "Crapchester" offends someone, the same action should be taken place against you, as you want to be taken against Circling Wagons. Let the mods handle whatever words they think aren't acceptable.

Here's some beautiful posts by finfan54 to C-Wag, when C-Wag didn't even know about his family:

Wagons, where do you live? i would like to bash your living head in right now!

your a ****ing ******* you know that?

yeah you feel real good dont ya? you aint ****. your a loser. kind of like that ****ing milkman smiley ******* of pic you got.

Here's a nice, almost as friendly as Wanny type of statement made to us here at FINHEAVEN:
there will be hell to pay for this board if something isnt done about it! thats all i will say on this for the moment......mroe to come!

Also to note: C-Wag didn't make ONE attack at 54 in pages 6 & 7, where all of this got lit. Looks like the wrong person is being suggested a banning....

This is in the process of being looked at and sorted out. We will get to the bottom of it and act accordingly.

But I will say this......I do not appreciate being threatened. I understand that you are angry, 54. And I understand how sensative this subject must be for you. But you do not push us around. And you will not hold this board hostage, period. Got it?

We will respond to the matter at hand once we get all the facts together.

Thank you for your time

Originally posted by bobdroopy
ChambersOwnz, just owned

Thanks, but I wasn't trying to. I don't have anything against the guy & I'm sorry to hear that about his daughter. I just happen to know C-Wag & he's a cool guy. But come on, C-Wag didn't know about that. He shouldn't have to be banned for anything.

Ok, here's the deal. While we probably should be disciplining both of you, one has chosen to fall on the sword.

From what I can see, CW never entered a thread in which 54 referenced the word in question. And the only thread I could find where 54 asked that this word not be used was in a post dated four days ago. A thread in which CW never posted. So to sum up, I found no evidence of malice on CW's part.

That said, CW asked us to ban him, permanently, early this afternoon.....before we even learned of this situation. While he admits to egging on members from time to time (no suprise), he stanchly denies that he knew anything about the sensative nature of this word with 54, nor did he even know of his daughter's condition. And when he learned of why 54 was angry, he says he felt really awful about egging him on. That's when he insisted we ban him. And we did.

Knowing the guy like some of us staff members do, I do not doubt him. Contrary to some of his actions on this board, he is not a bad guy. A stand-up guy. He would not knowingly do something like this. And his actions today prove it. With that, I bid him farewell and good luck.

54, you got your wish. But from CW himself, who really knew nothing about the things he is accused of knowing, before we even got involved. In short, he's being a very big man about this simply for the sake of keeping peace here.

And I ask that in the future, you refrain from taking personal shots at people, provoked or not. You violated TOS. And you really didn't ask for our help in the matter. You threatened us. Not cool man. Gives the impression that you have no faith in or respect for the people who run this site. That our integrity is virtually non-existent. I hope that you truly do not feel this way. :(

Just my two cents on the subject...

CW has frustrated me in the past also... however I've always had a lot of respect for him. He's never given me any indication that his actions were malicious... I for one will miss him, and hope he decides to return one day.

54.... I can't stress what Muck said any more... I do understand your frustration, and have a lot of respect for anyone who parents a child with any such affliction. As a parent myself, I certainly would defend any of my children vehemently, and know that any offensive remarks towards them would be met with an appropriate response from me. HOWEVER, you were out of line here, and to threaten legal action against this board is absolutely reprehensible. For all the respect you earned by defending your child, you lost much of that by lashing out as you did. Shame on you :shakeno:... is that the example you want to set for your daughter?

I'm done now...

*climbs down from soapbox*

I'd like to thank Muck and Wharf for handling this professionally.

Although 54 shouldn't have made the retaliatory statements that he did, he probably hears that word on a regular basis. At some point, we all snap. Probably wasn't a good thing to do, but in his defense, it would be a rather hurtful word. I'm not choosing sides, because CW didn't know, and I have no problems with either of the two posters.

Wow, no wonder CW hasn't posted lately. In my opinion, he did not deserve to be banned (even if he asked for it). Even though he can be annoying, I hope he comes back.
I feel for ff54's situation, but him threatining to "take the issue further" is ridiculous. The fact is you can't make everybody happy, and I hope he understands that.

I am not happy about CW's banning either. I appreciated his posts. He was one of those bills fans that frequently had something useful to add to a conversation. plus he said the funniest line i've ever heard near a dolphins BBS..... "Every time Fiedler throws the ball, another pig dies in vain." Fiedler hugger or not, that line is funny!

Thanks CW for all the good times.

On to finfan54 - i understand your concerns, but as i've stated before, this is a public forum. freedom of speech. and when that word was being used, it was NOT being used to reference your daughter, so i am failing to see how this is that "unacceptable," especially from a self-professed "non politically correct person."

Attempts at using that word could be curtailed, but banning? I think you are taking this a little far.

Back
Top Bottom