Vermeil Press Conference 9/24 Edited | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vermeil Press Conference 9/24 Edited

FloridaChief

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Thought you guys might be interested in this. It's very long so I've taken the liberty of editing while trying to retain things of interest for this weekend's game:

Dick Vermeil Press Conference - 9/24
9/24/2002 2:04 PM

Part I
"I know everybody's concerned about our corners. As of right now, we're unsure about both guys so they're questionable. I know that (CB) Ray Crockett has already been in for his treatment and I know that (CB) Eric Warfield is on his way in. We'll know a little bit more. I think there's a chance we'll have at least one of them back, but it's still questionable.

"If they're not ready, then (CB) Taje Allen and (CB) Corey Harris will step up. I've been in ballgames with Taje Allen before. I've played in the Super Bowl and in playoff games where he played in the nickel and played corner. I've seen him play a lot of snaps in games, so I have confidence he can go in and play. That's all part of the National Football League and that's all part of making sure as you go along you have quality depth and that your quality depth gets coached and reps in training camp. That's one of the reasons we stay on the field a longtime.

"The other guys, I think, will be all right. (OG) Brian Waters will be
all right. He had a broken finger, but I think he'll be all right. (DE)
Eric Hicks is sore and will be sore for a while until that thing
gradually clears up. He played well on it anyway and we played him sparingly in the ball game, if you remember, when we were in a three down linemen package. I think gradually he'll get better.

"(TE) Tony Gonzalez had mild soreness in the wrist but did pretty well in blocking considering he had that problem. I think (DT) Eric Downing should be ready to go back to work and, with luck, not re-ding himself.

"Our defensive problems are magnified by the big play. Fifteen snaps in three games, we're giving up 51% of the total yards. So that makes it a little bit easier for the coaches to define where our problems are. It makes it a little bit easier for coaches to maybe tweak the scheme if there's consistent breakdowns in certain specific areas. It also breaks down an individual who happens to be involved in more than his share of these 15 big plays. Then you tweak that.

"Miami's not going to feel sorry for us. Right now, they're plus eight on the takeaway ratio. They're running the hell out of the ball. They're not putting the game in the hands of Jay Fiedler to win the game, but he's playing well. They've got the leading rusher in the league and we've got the number two rusher. So, it'll still come down to a turnover factor, how hard both teams play, how smart both teams play.

"Our problems are deeper than theirs because they've been playing outstanding defense. Outstanding. They've got eight interceptions and we've got one. They have an outstanding secondary and play press coverage all over you. Jason Taylor and those four down linemen can put pressure on you. Thomas in the middle. They can give you a lot of problems over there.

"Our defensive line is growing. No excuses, but right now it's going to be what it should have been three weeks into training camp. Starting to come together. If it weren't for Eric Hicks' ankle it would be even better. (DE) Duane Clemons is coming. You can see him coming. Remember what he did in training camp? He worked part time, coming off rehab the entire off-season. Our number one pick (Ryan Sims) is coming. He was a factor in the ballgame. He got seven pressures all together. It's coming. I saw (DT) Derrick Ransom come out of the stack on a screen that
looked like it was going to explode and, boom, he makes the tackle. The defensive line will soon become our strength.

"We touched the quarterback 23 times last week, sometimes very physical. I think that part of our defense when it becomes what I think it will be and what we're trying to build it to be
will be a very strong factor."
rotation.

"Offensively, of course, the big thing is the turnover and third down conversion. Just don't try so hard on the interception. It's not your responsibility to win the game by yourself, especially when we have a running attack like we do. Don't try to make a play when it's not there, especially when the score's 17-17. It's different if you're down by 14 and you have to try and make a play. That's all game management. I know it can be coached because I've been in that environment before.

"It would be tough to be as efficient running the ball this week because I don't think Miami will overlook us. I think they'll respect us. Not that New England didn't, but they've seen us do it three weeks in a row. (RB) Priest Holmes told the whole football team a week ago Wednesday that the one thing he would guarantee is they would know who Priest Holmes is. He wanted everybody else on the football team to guarantee they'd let the guys they're competing against to know who they were. Everybody knows who Priest Holmes is. It will be tougher this week
against this defensive team.

"When you look at these guys...I watched Ricky Williams in college in front of Priest Holms. They're doing things well. I've coached against Dave Wannstedt's teams before, a couple of times. They're always extremely well prepared and play hard."

Part II
IVAN CARTER, KANSAS CITY STAR: When you look at Ricky Williams what jumps out at you?

VERMEIL: "First off, he's a downhill runner. He's very powerful. Fast enough, not great speed but strong speed. You can hit him in the middle of the field but you'd better hit him square because he has real good balance. That strong lower body. He might just slide with your tackle and put both feet back on the ground and just keep right on going. But he does have enough speed to go the distance like he did the other day when he broke one in the fourth quarter.

"He can wear you down himself. He can punish you. I liked him a lot and we evaluated him closely and spent a lot of time with him. I got to know him a little bit and (ABC's Brent) Musberger and I were going to see him play and watching practice. He's impressive and he's in the right environment. Norv Turner runs the offense and Norv's a fine offensive football coach and (former) head coach. He's always more effective when
he has the running back like the Redskins situation when he can hand him the football. We're going to see a lot of him. I'm sure they'll do some things to counter some of the things we do on defense and hopefully we'll be able to handle it."

CARTER: Does his running style remind you of anyone you've seen over the years?

VERMEIL: "A little bit like Earl Campbell, although he's not quite as
big. I've never seen a more powerful running back than Earl Campbell. This guy reminds me a little bit of him."

RICK DEAN, TOPEKA CAP-JOURNAL: When you're holding a team down to under three yards a rush, like you were doing for much of the New England game and Jacksonville, and a Fred Taylor or somebody breaks a 60-yard run, do you say our rush defense is playing well except for the big play, or do you say it all doesn't matter because they were able to break the one big play?

VERMEIL: "When they score a touchdown and you get beat, it doesn't matter how well you played. It's every snap. But many times you can define a problem. If they're averaging 5.1 yards a carry you've got a serious problem. There are many, many 10 yard and nine yard runs and 20 yard runs. They got three runs over 10 yards against us in three football games. So, you ought to be able to define the problem.

CARTER: Is Jay Fiedler doing what you would like to see Trent (Green) doing in more situations in terms of not making the bad throw or bad decision?

VERMEIL: "I watched Jay play before. I watched him play when he was in Philadelphia. He's had some of those kinds of games - struggled - even last year. They're minus 21 in their six losses, guys. 21 giveaways and no takeaways. The six losses they've had the five last year and one in the playoff, they aren't immune. Nobody is in this league. We just can't win and do that. Nor can they. Now, right now they have one interception."

DEAN: Does it make it easier to game plan for a team like Miami who does more things in a conventional manner than New England might with the spread offense?

VERMEIL: "Each team presents you with a different set of problems. New England does whatever they want to do successfully. Miami right now is very balanced in what they do, very efficient in what they do, and they've been able to beat two real good football teams back to back. Indianapolis and the New York Jets. The Jets were a playoff team and Indianapolis has been a good team and last year they sunk a little bit.
Miami is a very physical football team and very physical on defense and in the secondary."

DEAN: Is this the closest thing to a smashmouth team you've faced so far?

VERMEIL: "Well, maybe. Jacksonville was a little bit that way. I think moreso if you want to put it that way. But their still not going to allow us to do what we like to do on defense and we're still going to try and prevent them from doing what they like to do on offense."

DAN CLINKSCALE, WHB-AM: Do you think playing in an environment where you've given up a lot of points has any impact on that?

VERMEIL: "It might have. We think is if we don't turn it over we will win."

UNIDENTIFIABLE: Are 35 touches to many for Priest in a game?

VERMEIL: (Chiefs president) Carl (Peterson) used to say to me standing next to me, you're going to kill Wilbert Montgomery. So, I'd take him out one play and put him back in. Guys, when you're going down the highway in your car and you're going to race somebody do you put it in the best gear or do you shift down to second gear? No. In our competition you put the ball in the hands of your best football player as many times as you can without killing him. To me, whenever I call plays, when in doubt give the ball to your best player. Not call the best play. Just give the ball to your best player.

I received this via email with no link, but I'm certain the full transcript can be found at kcchiefs.com should anyone want to check it out....cheers!

--FloridaChief

The DL is impressive. Ryan Sims had 7 pressures? Wasn't that his first game??? Damn. Eric Hicks two sacks, and he's injured like JT.

So Vermeil doesn't respect Fiedler much. He respects Ricky, but not Fiedler. Also he thinks we'll be easier to game-plan for than the Patriots. We'll see. I think balance is always harder to plan for.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
The DL is impressive. Ryan Sims had 7 pressures? Wasn't that his first game??? Damn. Eric Hicks two sacks, and he's injured like JT.

So Vermeil doesn't respect Fiedler much. He respects Ricky, but not Fiedler. Also he thinks we'll be easier to game-plan for than the Patriots. We'll see. I think balance is always harder to plan for.

Sims saw some playing time against both Cleveland and Jax. The NE game was his 1st start, IIRC. We're hoping Ryan is everything we've been led to believe in a DT--a serious area of weakness in KC the last 2 years....I also agree, Miami will be harder to game plan against than NE--This should be a real test for our coaching staff.

Back
Top Bottom