Vernon Carey a different person? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vernon Carey a different person?

Does anyone know what we are paying Houck a season to coach the Line?

AirChambers84 said:
Not to mention having McIntosh, St.Clair, and Wade Smith in the fold. Any of those three can be a sufficient starter when healthy also. St. Clair and Smith have both played most positions on the line as well !!!!

Wade Smith hasn't proven he's sufficient at doing anything.

How bad is Tony Wise,that Hudson Houck can come into a team and make a bigger impact on Carey in MIN-CAMPS then Wise did all last year........:confused:

WindsOfFury said:
How bad is Tony Wise,that Hudson Houck can come into a team and make a bigger impact on Carey in MIN-CAMPS then Wise did all last year........:confused:

Tony Wise is a waste of oxygen. Anyone can take pro-bowl talent to the pro bowl; a monkey could have coached that line in Dallas. But he royally screwed the pooch here - and he cost our young talent years of development.

While Mini Camps don't mean much we all know the problem wasn't the talent level with Carey. It was grasping the techniques and the offense itself so if I'm hearing good praise early on it's because Houck is doing something that Tony Wise couldn't and that was getting him adjusted to the mental side of the game.

Puncho said:
Does anyone know what we are paying Houck a season to coach the Line?

About $800,000, dang, I should've starting coaching back when, I know I could be Houck today... :lol:

NaboCane said:
Tony Wise is a waste of oxygen. Anyone can take pro-bowl talent to the pro bowl; a monkey could have coached that line in Dallas. But he royally screwed the pooch here - and he cost our young talent years of development.

Again, not speaking for his performance as a coach in either here or Chicago, but I believe Wise's own good work in Dallas actually works against him now when people use hindsight.

He helped bring about a great end result, thereby leading people who don't realize the integral role he played in that to take the "anyone could have done that" angle. However, the work he did in turning 3 fringe OL from Landry's last few teams into Pro Bowlers, plus taking a guy that the Raiders didn't want anymore in John Gesek and enhancing his level of play as well, will always stand out on his resume.

Don't forget, Wise didn't have Erik Williams until '91, and never coached Larry Allen.

zachseau13 said:
Offensive lineman usually make their biggest improvement between their first year and their second year anyway.

It is unusual for rookie offensive lineman to make a large contribution in their rookie year.

I agree - I am sure Houck is a big big help, but I just think Carey wasn't ready last year, and you know it might have been smart to let him ride the bench rather than him lose confidence. Not a big fan of Wanny, but I think that was the case last year. I think Wanny was desperate enough to win that he would not let this guy ride the bench if it would have helped his awful line.

It just drives me NUTS when people rip Wade Smith! HE STARTED AT LEFT TACKLE AS A ROOKIE!!!!! Left tackle is the most difficult position on the o-line and, for a rookie drafted in the 3rd round, Wade did an VERY good job.

Back
Top Bottom