Vertical Offense! Great Linehan Article. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vertical Offense! Great Linehan Article.

GreenMonster

Never con a con man
Joined
Apr 15, 2005
Messages
4,912
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
Atlanta
As I read more an more about our offense I like the fact the we will finally throw the ball downfield a bit...Then I also remember that we drafted a stud RB #2 in the draft and we may finally have a running and passing attack if we get any play from our QB's..
 

ChambersNBoston

Dan Marino is a God
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
834
Reaction score
0
Age
40
GreenMonster said:
As I read more an more about our offense I like the fact the we will finally throw the ball downfield a bit...Then I also remember that we drafted a stud RB #2 in the draft and we may finally have a running and passing attack if we get any play from our QB's..
Not a bit Greenmonster but ALOT!...we have a play to go deep in every look we have...Chambers can very well reach a full 1000 yards this year :rawk: ...it will be nice to see us throw more and spreading the ball to Randy and Booker he said...and yes a more EXPLOSIVE OFFENSE :blowup:
 

ChambersNBoston

Dan Marino is a God
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
834
Reaction score
0
Age
40
Thanks Dominizzo...you know how we do in so cal..puff puff pass...and nice sig Orange FinFan
 

DolfanTom

Dolphin Apologist - I'm really sorry!!
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
1,352
Reaction score
0
Age
48
Location
Saratoga Springs, NY
Granted, we don't have Culpepper to fling the ball around, but if you've watched any Minnesota games over the past few years, it feels like they throw deep at least once every three plays. Remember when they beat us at the end of '02? And our secondary was strong. At least we're going to try this year - which is a big difference over the Whanny era. The keys to success will be the line and Feeley. Feeley has the arm to throw the ball a mile if he has time. I'm not sold on Frerotte as a legit starter. He's more of an assistant coach at this point in his career. It's either Feeley or TBD.
 

Agua

Fighting the media, one lie at a time
Joined
Mar 7, 2002
Messages
6,860
Reaction score
557
Age
58
Location
Biloxi, Mississippi
Well, I hope it's successful. Remember when you put the ball up all the time, there are a lot of opportunities for TO; you don't control the clock; and you end up punting a lot. A strong running offense is not a luxury, but a necessity.
 

KB21

Club Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2001
Messages
10,065
Reaction score
68
Agua said:
Well, I hope it's successful. Remember when you put the ball up all the time, there are a lot of opportunities for TO; you don't control the clock; and you end up punting a lot. A strong running offense is not a luxury, but a necessity.

Exactly, but as I have said many times in the past, the best friend of a strong running game is a strong vertical passing game.

Miami had one of the better offensive coordinators in the league in Norv Turner, and his offense is based upon many of the same philosophies that Scott Linehan's offense is based upon. Norv loved the power running aspects of offense that he learned from John Robinson when he was at USC in the late 70s to early 80s. Norv Turner also loved the vertical passing aspects that Ernie Zampese taught him when Norv was the WRs coach with the LA Rams in the mid to late 80s. Zampese was the offensive coordinator for none other than Don Coryell with the Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, and Charlie Joiner Chargers teams. Another coach that was on that Coryell staff was Joe Gibbs. Considering that Scott Linehan's offense has been partly taken from the Joe Gibbs two tight end offense that he made famous in Washington, there is a direct link.

The problem we had when we had Norv was that we tried to have a power running game without a vertical passing game. IMO, you can't have a power running game that is consistently effective without a vertical passing game.
 

ChambersNBoston

Dan Marino is a God
Joined
Mar 16, 2004
Messages
834
Reaction score
0
Age
40
KB21 said:
Exactly, but as I have said many times in the past, the best friend of a strong running game is a strong vertical passing game.

Miami had one of the better offensive coordinators in the league in Norv Turner, and his offense is based upon many of the same philosophies that Scott Linehan's offense is based upon. Norv loved the power running aspects of offense that he learned from John Robinson when he was at USC in the late 70s to early 80s. Norv Turner also loved the vertical passing aspects that Ernie Zampese taught him when Norv was the WRs coach with the LA Rams in the mid to late 80s. Zampese was the offensive coordinator for none other than Don Coryell with the Dan Fouts, Kellen Winslow, and Charlie Joiner Chargers teams. Another coach that was on that Coryell staff was Joe Gibbs. Considering that Scott Linehan's offense has been partly taken from the Joe Gibbs two tight end offense that he made famous in Washington, there is a direct link.

The problem we had when we had Norv was that we tried to have a power running game without a vertical passing game. IMO, you can't have a power running game that is consistently effective without a vertical passing game.
Totally agree 100% and i like to think Linehan runs a balance type of offense...read his bio...at the end of the game there will be as many run attempts as pass attempts...running is key to throw it deep...sets up the play action pass...it brings the safeties closer and boom we get behind for em for a deep pass play.
 
Top Bottom