Very interesting Combine rumors! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Very interesting Combine rumors!

CpuFan

Active Roster
Reaction score
I found them to be very insightful...

Be advised there are nine pages and it is WORTH reading all nine!
Here is a sample...

I got to sit down for about 10 minutes with a Director of Player Personnel from an NFC team this morning. Here's the bulk of the conversation:

IC: Thanks for taking a few minutes. What's been your general impression thus far?
DPP: I think there are quite a few future Pro Bowlers here. It's a quite different stock from the past few years. There are a lot of starting-ready tight ends and offensive linemen here. It's not a good year for wide receivers or running backs.

IC: Could you explain your thoughts on the running back class?
DPP: Other than Reggie Bush, nobody here strikes me as someone who can step right in and start. All the guys have a significant detriment at one thing or another. The speed guys are really small, too small to consider anything more than a part time back. The bigger guys lack quickness and hands. One guy we had pretty high on our board bombed the Wonderlic and didn't interview well, so I think you're going to see him drop for good reason. With all the guys in the league who are available at that position already, I'd have a real hard time pulling the trigger on drafting a running back in the first two rounds, unless I could get Bush.

IC: Your thoughts on Vince Young...
DPP: He hasn't done himself any favors here. What I really don't like is how he's handling all the negative buzz surrounding himself. He's coming across as an insulated, self absorbed guy, not a guy that handles adversity well. That's not a quality you want in your quarterback. His individual workouts are crucial. He's got to show he can deliver a strike, hit spots all over the field, demonstrate good feet and vision. It's hard to argue with his size and speed package. He's our #4 quarterback on our board.

IC: Who are the top 3 QBs on your board?
DPP: Leinart is a clear #1. He could be a starter next year if needed. He's not as high as Carson Palmer or Eli Manning, but he's much higher than Alex Smith or Phillip Rivers. Jay Cutler is #2. I really like his determination and his ability to deliver a strike with a guy in his face. #3 would be Brodie Croyle. Croyle would be a surefire 1st rounder if he didn't have all those knee and hand problems.

IC: One of our frequent posters is a huge Reggie McNeal guy. Your thoughts on McNeal...
DPP: I see him as a versatile guy. Someone you bring in with the expectation that he's never going to be more than your backup quarterback, but can do some other things for you, like being a 4th wideout, maybe he gets some reps as a 3rd down back. I'd like to see him return kicks. He's a notch ahead of Brad Smith and way ahead of the Robinson kid from Penn State in that regard. If he shies away from doing more than just playing quarterback, he's not going to like his draft status. I know we wouldn't draft him without knowing he would clearly accept that we wanted him to do more than play quarterback.

IC: The best interview guys you had this week?
DPP: I thought Bobby Carpenter was fantastic. He's a future team captain, one of the most intelligent enthusiastic guys I've ever been around. Lots of times the super-hyper guys like him don't project the thoughtful intelligence, but he's the full package. I thought D'Brickashaw was great too. I know a lot of people were impressed with the Hali kid and what all he's overcome. Real bright, pensive young man.

IC: Give me two guys who helped themselves the most, and two who hurt themselves the most.
DPP: There's no question that a lot of people were very impressed with D'Brickashaw gaining the weight and not sacrificing any quickness. He's the #1 guy on our draft board now and he wasn't when he got here. I'd have to say that so far the other guy who is really moving up would be the Mangold kid, the center. He's better than any center in our division right now and his athletic ability was proven here.

IC: What about the guys going the other direction?
DPP: I hate to get down on guys simply based on the combine, but obviously we already talked about Vince Young. I think in general a lot of teams are putting more weight on the personal interviews and Wonderlic scores. So guys who didn't do well in those, those are the guys who are going to fall.

IC: Last question. Give me your top 5 on your draft board
DPP: Right now, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, Reggie Bush, and Matt Leinart.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=482625

Vince is dropping......I love it! dude doesnt handle adversity well? All I gotta say is............wow!

CpuFan said:
IC: Your thoughts on Vince Young...
DPP: He hasn't done himself any favors here. What I really don't like is how he's handling all the negative buzz surrounding himself. He's coming across as an insulated, self absorbed guy, not a guy that handles adversity well. That's not a quality you want in your quarterback. His individual workouts are crucial. He's got to show he can deliver a strike, hit spots all over the field, demonstrate good feet and vision. It's hard to argue with his size and speed package. He's our #4 quarterback on our board.

I can see the "This guy doesn't know what he's talking about" coming now.

Sounds pretty accurate to me.

man i love hearing directly from team personel to see how they are thinking... their top 5 is great... love that they have d'brick first and i think they should... ima read the whole thing... great post...

"LeCharles Bentley will be a Cleveland Brown. Drew Brees will be a Dolphin unless he asks for too much money. If he does, then he'll be a Detroit Lion in all likelihood."

Interesting...thanks for the great link

"The Dolphins and Jets are in a bidding war for Patrick Ramsey. If either team is willing to give up a 2nd rounder he's had."
That's the only other quote I saw that directly relates to the Dolphins.

lots of juicy speculation and rumors...

-demeco ryans did horrible on the wonderlic, could be passed by bobby carpenter
-titans taking d'brick and letting volek be QB
-dolphins, jets bidding war for ramsey
-kitna to new orleans but they're def taking lienart
-hawk got a 37 on the wonderlic
-lawson with a bad wonderlic score

CpuFan said:
One guy we had pretty high on our board bombed the Wonderlic and didn't interview well, so I think you're going to see him drop for good reason.
wonder who that is?

thanks for the link good read though i didnt like the mock i would pick bobby carpenter over demco ryans if we go linebacker but if we go corner i say cromartie

CpuFan said:
IC: Who are the top 3 QBs on your board?
DPP: Leinart is a clear #1. He could be a starter next year if needed. He's not as high as Carson Palmer or Eli Manning, but he's much higher than Alex Smith or Phillip Rivers. Jay Cutler is #2. I really like his determination and his ability to deliver a strike with a guy in his face. #3 would be Brodie Croyle. Croyle would be a surefire 1st rounder if he didn't have all those knee and hand problems.

thats what im talking about. I really hope we can get Croyle in the draft. He just needs to add some weight to help out with his durability issues and I think he'll be just fine..

In his post-combine mock draft,
he has the Dolphins taking:

Demeco Ryans LB @ #16
Derek Hagan WR @ #51

Other tidbits:
Manny Lawson falling to #59 :eek:

QBs
Leinart #2; Cutler #4 (NYJ); Vince Young #7 (Oakland, but could freefall)
Croyle #39 (Tennessee)
Whitehurst #49 (Dallas)
McNeal #64 (Pittsburgh)

Link:

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_encroachment/24/20060228/post_combine_mock//

Mile High Fin said:
In his post-combine mock draft,
he has the Dolphins taking:

Demeco Ryans LB @ #16
Derek Hagan WR @ #51

Other tidbits:
Manny Lawson falling to #59 :eek:

QBs
Leinart #2; Cutler #4 (NYJ); Vince Young #7 (Oakland, but could freefall)
Croyle #39 (Tennessee)
Whitehurst #49 (Dallas)
McNeal #64 (Pittsburgh)

Link:
http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_encroachment/24/20060228/post_combine_mock//

I would really wonder about Saban's ability to draft if thats who we drafted in the first two rounds.

"The Dolphins and Jets are in a bidding war for Patrick Ramsey. If either team is willing to give up a 2nd rounder he's had. Speaking of the Jets, they are not impressing many people here. Mangini appears a bit over his head, and the guys I talked to that interviewed with them felt like the Jets were just going thru the motions and don't really know what they're looking for. That's second hand info; I haven't even seen Mangini and I don't know their assistants or scouts."

Anybody get the feeling saban's staying in the bidding war to get the jets to waste a 2nd?

3. I can't tell you who I got it from, but don't be surprised if you hear trade winds blowing about Mike Vick. And this person would definitely know. The Falcons are "disgusted" with his progress in throwing and they're not going to waste more money on WRs when they know he cannot hit them. If he's not completing 60% after 4 weeks, he's probably going to be benched and it will be the end of his Atlanta days.
Thank You! It's about time more people started saying this. I'm so sick of the over-hyped 'running QB' crap in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom