Vickerson | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vickerson

les dauphins

jesus of suburbia
Reaction score
did saban recruit this guy out of hs when he was with michigan?
How did he do in mini camp, will we be totally screwed if injuries force him into the lineup

Well From What I Hear This Guy Is Pretty Good Should Add Some Good Depth To The D-line.

les dauphins said:
How did he do in mini camp, will we be totally screwed if injuries force him into the lineup

Saban targeted Vickerson in high school and began the recuiting process. Saban left for LSU and Vickerson later signed with Michigan State. Vickerson has the size and strength to play DT at the NFL level, but he is very raw and needs a lot of work to polish up his game.
He should be considered a "project". Kevin Carter and Traylor are light years ahead of him in all phases of the game.

With a lot of work, Vickerson could turn into a solid NFL lineman. But it's more likely that he will end up being a journeyman back-up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in NFL Europe for a year or two.

Saban also coached Dolphin DT Josh Shaw at Michigan State.

040507_saban_hmed5pss_h-1.jpg

His NFL draft profile says he had a low intelligence test score (5), but he improved enough in 2004 that he needed only normal reps to retain plays.He had maturity issues in the past and can become his own worst enemy. He does not show the confidence in his athletic ability and that translates to marginal performance on the field. Some teams might take a wait and see attitude with him, as he only produced as a senior, but it is evident that he has the size and strength to be considered a late round project and could develop given time with more patient coaching.

SabanScience said:
Saban targeted Vickerson in high school and began the recuiting process. Saban left for LSU and Vickerson later signed with Michigan State. Vickerson has the size and strength to play DT at the NFL level, but he is very raw and needs a lot of work to polish up his game.
He should be considered a "project". Kevin Carter and Traylor are light years ahead of him in all phases of the game.

With a lot of work, Vickerson could turn into a solid NFL lineman. But it's more likely that he will end up being a journeyman back-up. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in NFL Europe for a year or two.

Saban also coached Dolphin DT Josh Shaw at Michigan State.

If your assessment is correct, he probably won't even make our 53 man roster huh?

phinfan2003 said:
If your assessment is correct, he probably won't even make our 53 man roster huh?

Given our depth (or lack thereof) at DT, I think Vickerson has a high likelihood of making the roster. He could be viewed as a project for an eventual move to a base 3-4. Many of the draft guides I looked at had him listed more as a NT than a DT. That is where I think you will see him this year, as a back-up to Traylor and perhaps Chester, if healthy. He may be a guy who is inactive every week also but kept on the 53 man roster to avoid being "poached" and allowed to develop both physically and technique-wise..

les dauphins said:

Michigan STATE. If you say "Michigan", some of the backers of Big Blue will become very angry with you. ;)

And I agree with Ohiophinphan, I think Vickerson's probably making the team. We are very questionable at DT. Right now, you have to assume Bowens is retiring. Chester's hurt, that means that Traylor and Zgonina are our starting DTs, unless Kevin Carter starts there (and he might).

phinfan2003 said:

I'd say his chances are 50/50. Even though he was strong in college, he frequently got turned sideways by offensive lineman who "out-techniqued" him. He didn't handle double teams well at all.

But he has some things that can't be coached. Size, strength and decent quickness.

phinfan2003 said:
I don't expect Vickerson to make the 53 man roster. I expect him to be this year's Tony Pape. Practice Squad player that will be in NFL Europe next year and could develop into a reliable backup in a few years.

Vickerson and Alabi were both drafted to be sabans first projects. But i doubt either will do anything in the future but theres always that chance

Back
Top Bottom