Vince Young | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Vince Young

As the person who wrote that article and interviewed him...

I can tell you that he is a nice enough guy...and pretty ticked off at the barrage of media members who attempt to discredit him.

I think Vince has shown the composure of a superstar to be able to not let the media get to him. He was knocked all his sophomore season, with people saying Reggie McNeal's stats were a lot better. Vince was obviously a better prospect AND was a year less experienced. Young then had a better Junior season than most, but was still knocked. If that season wasn't enough, decimating the USC defense ein the 4th quarter should have been. But people wouldn't accept that.

Vince will prove thy doubters wrongeth!

I really do hope Vince Young proves doubters wrong. If, by some unbelievable chance, we pick him at 16, I'll welcome him. If not, I wish him good luck.

Young seems like a nice guy but I've heard him call himself a "phenomenal" quarterback twice now in interviews and I'm sorry but he is not. He was a good college qb. He will not be a good NFL qb. I don't hate the guy and he will get drafted high by somebody and he will get his chance, but I am definitely in the court of people who simply do not think he will ever amount ot much of an NFL qb.

Bottom line he is not going to be accurate enough in the NFL to be a good starting QB. You don't go to the NFL to learn how to play the position.

neuce said:
Young seems like a nice guy but I've heard him call himself a "phenomenal" quarterback twice now in interviews and I'm sorry but he is not. He was a good college qb. He will not be a good NFL qb. I don't hate the guy and he will get drafted high by somebody and he will get his chance, but I am definitely in the court of people who simply do not think he will ever amount ot much of an NFL qb.

Bottom line he is not going to be accurate enough in the NFL to be a good starting QB. You don't go to the NFL to learn how to play the position.

You heard him say that? Or was he asked by someone what he thinks of himself? Are you taking things out of context? Are you for real that he was simply "good" in college. Were you not watching? What is it that people do not understand intangibles of taking a team on their backs at crunch time and making it happen?

I will tell you this about Young...

he does have something special about him...I run about 6-2 225...I was a little bit in awe...and I've met plenty of other players and not been in awe. Its not that he is just huge...although he is legit 6-5 245-250 minimum...
he carries himself with confidence and expectations...

I won't be bold enough to say that translates into an NFL superstar...but I do think there is a chance that he could be special despite concerns about whether he fits a certain mold.

Terry Bradshaw was not the sharpest knife in the drawer either but he had a nice career.

RHoffman said:
he does have something special about him...I run about 6-2 225...I was a little bit in awe...and I've met plenty of other players and not been in awe. Its not that he is just huge...although he is legit 6-5 245-250 minimum...
he carries himself with confidence and expectations...

I won't be bold enough to say that translates into an NFL superstar...but I do think there is a chance that he could be special despite concerns about whether he fits a certain mold.

Well said.

RHoffman said:
I can tell you that he is a nice enough guy...and pretty ticked off at the barrage of media members who attempt to discredit him.

He's ticked off at the media? They are the reason he gets so much damn hype. The media has been doing nothing but sucking this guy's balls since early in the season.

The people who discredit him are the actual analysts like Merrill Hodge, Ron Jaworski, among others. Everytime I look at a draft article on him though, so stupid sports writer is calling him the Michael Jordan of this draft, saying teams will regret passing on him.

No. Teams will regret drafting him in the first round if they intend to spend the next three years, at least, teaching him how to play quarterback in the NFL.

KB21 said:
The people who discredit him are the actual analysts like Merrill Hodge, Ron Jaworski, among others. Everytime I look at a draft article on him though, so stupid sports writer is calling him the Michael Jordan of this draft, saying teams will regret passing on him.

No. Teams will regret drafting him in the first round if they intend to spend the next three years, at least, teaching him how to play quarterback in the NFL.

You're right. He is no Jim Druckenmiller. :D

KB21 said:
He's ticked off at the media? They are the reason he gets so much damn hype. The media has been doing nothing but sucking this guy's balls since early in the season.

I stopped reading when he started refering to himself in the third person. I have no doubt that he is entirely impressed with himself. People will say he is confident in his abilities, but IMO he is almost in awe of himself. I feel he will struggle in the NFL; if he was humble (as all rookies should be) then I would probably feel different. If somehow the Phins ended up with him I would fully support him, but I don't expect much out of him in the NFL.

The third person thing was a little strange...

but keep this in mind...the scrutiny on this kid is like anything I have ever seen. There were plenty of other big names at the Maxwell Awards...No one came close to garnering the attention that this kid got.

And KB...to give you an insider's perspective...

the media was pretty rude to him at times. I am not saying that is an excuse for a big ego....but.

KB21 said:

Hype is Jay Cutler or Leinart, who played with a number of guys who will here their name called today. Hype exists when you have done nothing to earn it. When you reach the highest achievement in college football you deserve the accolades. He has been absolutley attacked by the media. I haven't heard one negative thing about Jay cutler. Not one. That is hype. I have heard nothing but negative things about Vince Young.

Back
Top Bottom