voice of (t)reason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

voice of (t)reason

shane13

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I suppose after Sunday's loss in Foxboro, I, as much as anyone, should be swearing off this team. After all, we've got some real problems. I'm not convinced this team can win with their backs to the wall (built of snow or any other material). I think Dave Wannstedt coaches not to lose, instead of coaching to win. I think Norv Turner is schizophrenic. But, my problem with all doom and gloom talk is that last Sunday's game shouldn't be the stick by which such things are measured. Totally out of our element, in their stadium, with their fans screaming and throwing snowballs at us all game, with an officiating crew that apparently gives field goals by default, we played as well as they did, which isn't saying too much. Lost in the post-game analysis was the fact they didn't play any better than we did. They got one really huge play, and that was the difference. More power to them. But, anyone who's watched football for more than a season should be able to recognize that a ball plucked out of the air at the line of scrimmage (something that happens once or twice a year--this time to us) doesn't mean we aren't good. On a day where both teams punted 11 times and safeties played up at the line of scrimmage all game long, I don't think it's fair to say our offense isn't sound. And, while I think Wannstedt should have gone for the first down on 4th and 4 from their 38 (instead of coaching not to lose and punting), I don't think you can put this one on him. Nor can you put it on Norv. Nor can you say we didn't come to play. We simply lost a strange game on a fluke play in very uncommon conditions on the road. With three games left, I like this team's chances of making the playoffs. (Quote me on that and let me know if I'm wrong. But, let me know if I'm right too.) Denver still has to go on the road to Indy and Green Bay, two games they could easily lose. Of course, none of that will matter if we don't beat Philly. So, base your opinions of this team on what they do next Monday night, when they aren't staring a 30 mph wind in the face and dodging snowballs. I have a feeling we're going to be just fine. Does that mean I'm happy with the direction of the team? Nope. Like I said, I have real problems with Wannstedt and company. But it just isn't appropriate to judge them based on last Sunday's game. If they lose on Monday night, fine, lose your collective minds. I will too. But, I think on Tuesday morning we're all going to feel better. (And you can quote me on that too.)

Originally posted by shane13
IBut, anyone who's watched football for more than a season should be able to recognize that a ball plucked out of the air at the line of scrimmage (something that happens once or twice a year--this time to us) doesn't mean we aren't good.

No, it doesn't mean we aren't good. It just means that, AGAIN, we aren't good ENOUGH. That's the problem. And we'll still know it Tuesday, no matter who wins the game, because the games that meant everything were the ones against New England, the one against the Colts and the one against the Titans, and we lost all of them.

Back
Top Bottom