Wade Smith sees the Light? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade Smith sees the Light?

Golphindolphin

town drunk
Club Member
Reaction score
Wade Smith sees the (Matt) Light?

Recent precedence shows it is possible to throw a rookie into the fire at LT. In fact, one needs to look no further than to the most sickening Super Bowl winner in recent memory, the 2001 N.E. Pats who started Matt Light, a rookie LT who just so happened to be a converted tight end. Going against JT in practice everyday and starting every preseason game will give Wade Smith a head start Light didn't get. It's in the realm of possibility this kid can get it done.

"Matt went on to attend the University of Purdue where he began his career as a tightend. After earning a starting job on the very capable New England offensive line, Matt and the Patriots went on to shock the world by becoming the 2001 NFL Super Bowl Champions!"
http://www.mattlight72.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=EZCMS&file=index&menu=1&page_id=1

Last edited by a moderator:
If Norv Turner can take Mark Tuinei and turn him into a good LT, I'm sure he can take Wade Smith and make use of him.

Unfortunately for fantasy football owners of Randy McMichael, what this all means is that while Wade Smith is in, Randy McMike is not releasing downfield as often as he should be.

damn....we might be asking alot from a Rookie, but in the end i think we'll be ok......its not as bad as it sounds.

On Monday, both Wannstedt and offensive line coach Tony Wise heaped praise on Smith, who is the sixth player to try his hand at left tackle since Webb left the Dolphins after the 2000 season. Smith has demonstrated good footwork, but there is no hiding that he doesn't have the brute strength associated with the position.
from http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/6512166.htm

he was more of a project type LT, so this is asking a lot, but at least Dixon will be back

I guess I have to say something positive eventually.

To tell you the truth, I don't mind seeing the guy get the action. He looks like he has all the tools. He just has to get his footwork down.

Maybe Preseason and the Houston opener can get him ready for what is to come (better competition).

Okay, back to negative.

As I have demonstrated with posts in the past, I don't think Dixon plays worth a sh*t out there on pass protection. It's not his fault. He's a guard. A damn good one too.

Re: Wade Smith sees the (Matt) Light?

Originally posted by JackMeehov
Recent precedence shows it is possible to throw a rookie into the fire at LT. In fact, one needs to look no further than to the most sickening Super Bowl winner in recent memory, the 2001 N.E. Pats who started Matt Light, a rookie LT who just so happened to be a converted tight end. Going against JT in practice everyday and starting every preseason game will give Wade Smith a head start Light didn't get. It's in the realm of possibility this kid can get it done.

"Matt went on to attend the University of Purdue where he began his career as a tightend. After earning a starting job on the very capable New England offensive line, Matt and the Patriots went on to shock the world by becoming the 2001 NFL Super Bowl Champions!"
http://www.mattlight72.com/modules....EZCMS&file=index&menu=1&page_id=1

2nd round pick vs 3rd round pick, and isn't Light the guy who allowed Drew Bledsoe to almost die?

Re: Re: Wade Smith sees the (Matt) Light?

Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

2nd round pick vs 3rd round pick, and isn't Light the guy who allowed Drew Bledsoe to almost die?

I may be wrong, but I remember Bledsoe attempting to scramble to the right side, and getting hit by Marvin Jones as he was trying to get out of bounds. Besides I think Light didn't start until the third or fourth game that year, so he may not have been in the game at all. He was hardly to blame for that injury. As for your other point, 2nd rounder vs. 3rd rounder, Smith was the fifth tackle taken this year, same as Light in 2001. Some years tackle is a position of need for alot of teams, and five tackles can go way before the end of the second round. Another year, when more teams need tackles, and Wade could be a much higher pick. Besides, after the first round the blue chippers are gone and it becomes more of a crapshoot. Anyway, my original point was that a team can win a Super Bowl with a rookie LT. As much as it makes me wanna :barf: the Pats showed it can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: Re: Wade Smith sees the (Matt) Light?

Originally posted by JackMeehov

I may be wrong, but I remember Bledsoe attempting to scramble to the right side, and getting hit by Marvin Jones as he was trying to get out of bounds. Besides I think Light didn't start until the third or fourth game that year, so he may not have been in the game at all. He was hardly to blame for that injury. As for your other point, 2nd rounder vs. 3rd rounder, Smith was the fifth tackle taken this year, same as Light in 2001. Some years tackle is a position of need for alot of teams, and five tackles can go way before the end of the second round. Another year, when more teams need tackles, and Wade could be a much higher pick. Besides, after the first round the blue chippers are gone and it becomes more of a crapshoot. Anyway, my original point was that a team can win a Super Bowl with a rookie LT. As much as it makes me wanna :barf: the Pats showed it can be done.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying Smith CAN'T get the job done. I'm just saying that you don't want to hang your hat on the kid until he's proven himself on game day. If he's keeping starting DE's away from Jay in the next few preseason games, then sure...let him start. If he doesn't however, we're in trouble.

I hear ya 1227. I'm trying to be optimistic, but I'm holding my breath like everbody else. BTW, I just heard Mad Dog on QAM say "Wade Smith, I dunno, I don't see an NFL body there yet."

Does he mean size wise? If that's the case the same things have been said about Taylor and Zach, undersized.

He must mean he isn't ready to the level of play in the NFL.

He's a converted TE with one year of college football at the most crucial position on the OL facing maybe the best athletes in the game.

Back
Top Bottom