Wade to get the 25 mil/Ogunleye disappointed | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wade to get the 25 mil/Ogunleye disappointed

Well, it does seems like a lot of money but any other RT that we'd get would want at least that much or maybe even more. At least he's been here and he hasn't been that bad. I think the problem is that he had a great rookie year so the standard's been high for him ever since and he's had different guys aroung him and different OC's too.We're over paying in a way but the alternative could be even worst imo.

Ozzy rules!!

Like an article that was posted earlier pointed out. There are alot of teams looking for OT's. Alot of teams with more cap space than Miami. It would of been another Wayne Gandy sit. all over again and then Miami would be stuck with no one at RT cuz Wade would get a better offer elsewhere. Wade is the best o-lineman on Miami right now and it is wise to keep him. Now upgrading on the o-line is for 3 positions not 4 positions..

Originally posted by MïâMì-ÃÂø|ƒäÑ

+ 10 mil bonus ;)

That's not what I read. I read the entire deal was worth 25 million.

So it was essentially the 10 million dollar bonus and 3 million a year.

i agree, this'd be overpaying for Wade, but hes young and he'll get better....so this could turn out to be a decent deal on down the line.

Originally posted by Saint Greg
wow...that's the same contract we "overpaid" wayne gandy with last year...except he got a 5mil bonus.

Gandy is also way better than Wade.

I think the Saints did overpay for Gandy, but if we do give a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract to Wade, then we will really be overpaying.

Here is a different point of view from the Sun Sentinel.

Alex Marvez wrote

What wade wants

The Dolphins were recently reminded that re-signing right tackle Todd Wade won't be easy.

In initial contract negotiations last week, agent Tom Condon proposed that Wade receive a five-year, $25 million contract with a $10 million signing bonus.

According to an NFL source, the figures were based on what feedback Condon had received about potential interest in Wade if he is allowed to become a free agent.

The Dolphins were reportedly taken aback by Condon's proposal but remain interested in keeping Wade.

This should not have surprised the Dolphin's F. O. as Condon"s reputation is well deserved. It's also more plausible that this is the agent's proposal than the team's as what was written in the Palm Beach Post. This version says $25 million contract "with" a $10 mill bonus. That's $35 million to start negotiations. Sheesh

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...eb22,0,5556040.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

Jason Cole made it seem like a 25 million dollar deal.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8005707.htm

There is a difference between Gandy and Wade though. A big difference.

One guy is 32 receiving a five year offer.

The other guy is 27 asking for a five year offer.

Enjoy your 37 year old left tackle. What's that? He won't be playing then? Great! NO will still be paying him.

No i don't expect him to play all 5 years.....it happens....I'm sure you have plenty of people on defense in the same situation. But i expect him to play 3 or 4 of the 5...which isn't bad. And by the time he is gone, stinchcomb should be ready to take over for him. And whoever we draft with the 2nd round pick we got for turley should still be around.

The problem I have is: How can the agent know how much another team is willing to pay? Is that not evidence of tampering?

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
The problem I have is: How can the agent know how much another team is willing to pay? Is that not evidence of tampering?

In the art of salesmanship I think it's called bullssh ....er puffing. :lol:

Originally posted by MïâMì-ÃÂø|ƒäÑ
Well Todd hasn't done that much lately... but hes big, fast, and young. He has a huge line of potential.... he just needs a bit of strength around him to emerge.... I think it was a job well done.

Have to disagree. Wade is big and young, but not fast. He needs some serious improvements as well in both drive blocking and pass blocking.

The guy is NOT worth that kind of money.

I think we need to sign Nails and rid ourselves of the entire right side of the OL - including center.

Let Seth come in and start and get new blood at RG and RT.

Originally posted by ZOD
Jason Cole made it seem like a 25 million dollar deal.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8005707.htm

There is a difference between Gandy and Wade though. A big difference.

One guy is 32 receiving a five year offer.

The other guy is 27 asking for a five year offer.

Enjoy your 37 year old left tackle. What's that? He won't be playing then? Great! NO will still be paying him.

I'm not saying we should have doled out the money to Gandy, but ...

Many O-linemen have long careers and play well into their late 30's.

Also, after the 3rd year, NO will likely dump him if the contract is backloaded. It's like Fiedler's. We'll either renegotiate or release him and won't have to pay him the big $$$ other than the signing bonus he was given.

The thing that is bothersome is that we were unwilling to part with the big bucks last year when we needed a LT badly and there was one who has 2-3 years of good play left. Now, we are handing it out to a guy who hasn't come close to a pro bowl level in his career and isn't likely to attain it soon, either.

Originally posted by Da 'Fins

Many O-linemen have long careers and play well into their late 30's.

Yes they do and some want to give up on a 27 year old, 4 year veteran.

Also, after the 3rd year, NO will likely dump him if the contract is backloaded. It's like Fiedler's. We'll either renegotiate or release him and won't have to pay him the big $$$ other than the signing bonus he was given.

That was not my recollection. If I recall correctly he took the NO offer because it was a more front loaded deal than ours.

The thing that is bothersome is that we were unwilling to part with the big bucks last year when we needed a LT badly and there was one who has 2-3 years of good play left. Now, we are handing it out to a guy who hasn't come close to a pro bowl level in his career and isn't likely to attain it soon, either.

Let me get this straight. Last year our wide receiver coach says about Chambers, "I can't wait for his 4th year. That's when it will all come together." We all buy that one.

What do you think it like for the line? You think it's easier to learn the wide receiver position than the tackle position? Is that why dudes get moved to the interior for inferior talent? Is that why Todd Wade will get 5 million a year from some team out there. I think you and a couple of others are guilty of what you just accused the Dolphins of being. The Dude has missed one game in four years. He is the best lineman the Dolphins have. So what do you want?

You want him to play for free just because we drafted him? That is why you pay him. You pay him because you are already invested with time in learning your scheme, coaching, and a draft pick.

The money will not be as good as he wants but it will be damn near it.

Back
Top Bottom