Walter Football Consensus Mock Draft | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Walter Football Consensus Mock Draft

I'd just remind you that you're not drafting the 2014 player. You're drafting the player and what he's likely to become. While waiting on some more results from Gregory, and any results from Ray, Dupree is comfortably the #2 edge rusher in the class, and you can make a case that he should be #1. Those tools don't fail in the NFL. Eventually, he's probably a DE. He has the size for it, despite below average arm length, but I think the NFL is too smart to let him fall to Miami at 14. Between the Redskins, Jets, Bears, and Falcons, one of those teams goes Dupree. I think people don't understand that you're talking about a more explosive athlete as an edge rusher than we've seen in recent years - more than guys like Orakpo, Merriman, Wake, Collins, or Houston.

I understand that we have a few guys who could play SLB and do it alright, but when you're picking in the 1st RD, you want great players. Dupree, if available, will have the best chance of becoming a great player, and there's virtually no bust risk with him. I like many of the CB's projected between the 2nd-5th RD better than Waynes. I like some of the WR's projected in the 2nd and 3rd RD about as much as I do Parker, and we're not landing Cooper or White. You can go DT with Brown or Carl Davis (unlikely), but they have more limited upsides and a greater chance of busting than Dupree.

Breaking down #14 into positions:

QB: No
RB: No
WR: No unless Cooper or White are available
TE: No
OL: No unless La'el Collins is available and maybe to Jake Fisher
DT: Maybe to Malcolm Brown, Eddie Goldman, and Carl Davis - and I'll throw my boy Xavier Cooper into the mix
Edge: Yes to Dupree and maybe to Ray and Gregory - no to Fowler
LB: No
CB : Maybe to Jalen Collin or Kevin Johnson - no to Waynes
S: No
Great post. Love your breakdown. I really like Dupree as well and kind of viewed him as a darkhorse for #14 prior to the combine. He may end up as a top 10 player. Maybe it's just me, but I the more I look at the draft the more I think Gurley is legitimately in play for the Dolphins.

All this Wallace stuff….I hate to say it but I think he is gone. If he is…I think you are going to be looking at a couple WRs early. Maybe even 1st and 2nd round both.

I'd just remind you that you're not drafting the 2014 player. You're drafting the player and what he's likely to become. While waiting on some more results from Gregory, and any results from Ray, Dupree is comfortably the #2 edge rusher in the class, and you can make a case that he should be #1. Those tools don't fail in the NFL. Eventually, he's probably a DE. He has the size for it, despite below average arm length, but I think the NFL is too smart to let him fall to Miami at 14. Between the Redskins, Jets, Bears, and Falcons, one of those teams goes Dupree. I think people don't understand that you're talking about a more explosive athlete as an edge rusher than we've seen in recent years - more than guys like Orakpo, Merriman, Wake, Collins, or Houston.

I understand that we have a few guys who could play SLB and do it alright, but when you're picking in the 1st RD, you want great players. Dupree, if available, will have the best chance of becoming a great player, and there's virtually no bust risk with him. I like many of the CB's projected between the 2nd-5th RD better than Waynes. I like some of the WR's projected in the 2nd and 3rd RD about as much as I do Parker, and we're not landing Cooper or White. You can go DT with Brown or Carl Davis (unlikely), but they have more limited upsides and a greater chance of busting than Dupree.

Breaking down #14 into positions:

QB: No
RB: No
WR: No unless Cooper or White are available
TE: No
OL: No unless La'el Collins is available and maybe to Jake Fisher
DT: Maybe to Malcolm Brown, Eddie Goldman, and Carl Davis - and I'll throw my boy Xavier Cooper into the mix
Edge: Yes to Dupree and maybe to Ray and Gregory - no to Fowler
LB: No
CB : Maybe to Jalen Collin or Kevin Johnson - no to Waynes
S: No

So you like Bud Dupree or nah

The guys tape i want to check out is rb david johnsons...he was the best back at the senior bowl has receiving skills that miami requires in the offense carries 225 really well and ran 4.5 flat...explosive in rb drills...if that tape matches up with everything else ive seen i think hes a solid 2nd round grade back

The guys tape i want to check out is rb david johnsons...he was the best back at the senior bowl has receiving skills that miami requires in the offense carries 225 really well and ran 4.5 flat...explosive in rb drills...if that tape matches up with everything else ive seen i think hes a solid 2nd round grade back

He might be the best receiving RB in this draft. Its so natural for him…impressive player.

he has been definitely getting a lot of buzz from evaluations and from the snior bowl and results at the combine and drills. its impressed me more on him.

this was my first thoughts after watching his film (i might need to go back and watch some more):

RB- David Johnson- UNI: He has good speed, but only once he is in space. He is slow to the hole, and doesnt just GO enough. His instincts I question, and his footwork seems to be slow as he doesnt make people miss laterally. He is said to have a lot of power and tough to take down, but I dont see it in his running style as much... the power that is. He is great out of the backfield in the passing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? Dupree was more productive, proved to be the superior athlete (no slight on Owa), and he doesn't have the injury history that Owa does. I like both, and I wouldn't argue with Owa being a 1st RD player. Big fan, but Dupree looks like the better bet. If not for the injury concerns, though, I'd be happy with Owa at 14. I have to get more familiar with the details, but I'd have to feel good about his health. If he is healthy, I'd take Owa over Fowler all day.

I see Dupree as an even more athletic and versatile Jamie Collins, and I think he'll develop into a better pass rusher. If Lamar Woodley and Jamie Collins had a baby that was faster than either, that's the kind of player I see Dupree becoming. One thing I like to note is that Awsi is always harping on Miami not taking chances on top-end talent. Dupree's pass-rush stats would look a lot better if he weren't also asked to play coverage, but his effort between the two didn't vary. Again, I know that the lack of refinement makes him seem like a bigger risk, but he's actually, historically speaking, a very safe bet.

I thought Dupree and Owa were asked to play very different roles, so hard to compare there production. IMO Owa is a much better football player though.

I do agree about the upside of Dupree, and the injuries to Owa though. I saw Dupree get really handled against the better competition too, seemed to shut it down once it was clear he was outmatched. I don't see him as the lock by any means you do.

I think Todd Gurley would take care of that. Miami could dictate the running game rather than scheme for it to be successful. That's not a knock on Lamar Miller, who has a very good year for the Dolphins. It's just that Gurley is on another level, one Miami hasn't seen since Ricky Williams.

Gurley isn't even healthy, won't even be ready for the start of the season, and will be coming in as a rookie with 0 training camp, he might not do anything year 1. We can't ignoring this fact.

I brought him up awhile ago when he was still a hidden talent ad thought we Steal him in the later rnds. The senior bowl obviously changed that. He's the best pass catching RB I've ever seen, and at 6'3, that's a pretty significant Factor. He legit looks like a TE when he's running routes and catching.

But the player I saw running at the senior bowl ran much harder than the one I saw during the regular season. He's not the bully you'd expect with s guy his size and athletism. So that's also something to consider.

IMO a team has to be dedicated to throwing him the ball often to max out his value.

he has been definitely getting a lot of buzz from evaluations and from the snior bowl and results at the combine and drills. its impressed me more on him.

this was my first thoughts after watching his film (i might need to go back and watch some more):

RB- David Johnson- UNI: He has good speed, but only once he is in space. He is slow to the hole, and doesnt just GO enough. His instincts I question, and his footwork seems to be slow as he doesnt make people miss laterally. He is said to have a lot of power and tough to take down, but I dont see it in his running style as much... the power that is. He is great out of the backfield in the passing game.

Runs a little upright too....I see him as a 3rd or 4th rounder.

yeah i think a little upright is right and he doesnt run with the downhill power his 225 suggest...and at 6 ft 3 which i didnt know he was that tall he gives the opposition a lot to hit with that running style...all valid things to consider...all around back though that kids very gifted

Gurley isn't even healthy, won't even be ready for the start of the season, and will be coming in as a rookie with 0 training camp, he might not do anything year 1. We can't ignoring this fact.
[/QUOTE]
I don't think the dolphins go this route…but I also have some contentions with what you said.
Its not a fact that he won't be back for the start of the season. He was injured in mid November. With a clean ACL tear. The doctors have told him 6-9 months because of the nature of his tear and he didn't tear his MCL or anything else..he's already 6 weeks ahead of schedule. Sure he could have set backs but again I wouldn't say thats a fact or even likely. He may miss training camp but theres a chance he's back for that as well…but I would expect him to be suited up week 1.

Heres a link that mentions the docs saying 6-9 months. Andrews is his doctor and is on record saying he's about 6 weeks ahead of schedule. Interesting nugget a NFC scout says he gave him the best grade he has ever given an SEC back.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...y-scouting-combine-acl-georgia-knee/23704119/

yeah i think a little upright is right and he doesnt run with the downhill power his 225 suggest...and at 6 ft 3 which i didnt know he was that tall he gives the opposition a lot to hit with that running style...all valid things to consider...all around back though that kids very gifted

He measured in at 6'1, and I'm interested in him, but he does struggle to break arm tackles for a guy that size. The obvious comparison that everyone makes for soft-ish but talented tall RB's who can catch is Matt Forte, and there are some similarities there.

He measured in at 6'1, and I'm interested in him, but he does struggle to break arm tackles for a guy that size. The obvious comparison that everyone makes for soft-ish but talented tall RB's who can catch is Matt Forte, and there are some similarities there.

Yeah forte was kinda what i was thinking...and 6 ft 1 is better with a rb than 6 ft 3 so imo that helps him

Todd gurleys tape is freaking scary...wow thats impressive stuff...a big back that outruns angles all over the place...that tapes the best at rb since aps oklahoma work

Todd gurleys tape is freaking scary...wow thats impressive stuff...a big back that outruns angles all over the place...that tapes the best at rb since aps oklahoma work

I can't see the medicals…and I know there are bigger fish to fry so he probably won't be coming to Miami. That said…a healthy Gurley is a top 5 talent in this draft and when he comes back he's going to be a top 5 NFL RB very very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom