Walters vs. Rodgers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Walters vs. Rodgers

Yup. Got the VCR ready to go.

Incidentally, pop on the ESPN game right now and watch Marcus McNeil, LT for Auburn. He looks like a beast...

Walters has a big league arm. His arm is much better than any of the other prospects. I like his size as well.

What I don't like about Rodgers is that you have to move him around for him to see the passing lanes, and the majority of the passes he is throwing are of the short variety. He's too short to be a top pick.

KBISBACK said:
Walters has a big league arm. His arm is much better than any of the other prospects. I like his size as well.
It's just too bad his accuracy and decision making are questionable at best.

I've seen nothing that would make me question his decision making ability, but I have seen a lot that makes me question his receivers. His best target is that freshman tight end that looks a lot like a young Todd Heap.

I do like Rodgers's throwing motion. He's got an over the top release that is very quick. Good arm too. I just can't overlook his size right now.

Damn.

Who's that running back for Cal. Harrington? He's pretty damn good..

KBISBACK said:
I've seen nothing that would make me question his decision making ability, but I have seen a lot that makes me question his receivers. His best target is that freshman tight end that looks a lot like a young Todd Heap.
Most recently, I saw his 6 TD performance against UCLA (I'm Tivo'ing tonight's game). Honestly, I can't say I was all that impressed. He threw 3 INT's and misfired his passes many times. I believe he completed less than half his passes. He also threw into double coverage more than I would like to see. Some of that could be the lack of talent around him.

No question the kid has talent. Like you said, he has the size and arm you look for. But I just feel he is very raw and would be a 2-3 year project. At best, I think he's a late 1st round prospect at this point. That could change though.

KBISBACK said:
I do like Rodgers's throwing motion. He's got an over the top release that is very quick. Good arm too. I just can't overlook his size right now.
That's his only knock IMO. But I don't think it's a deal breaker. He's listed at 6'2", which means he's about 6'1". But guys like Favre and McNabb are only 6'2", so I don't think a 1 inch difference is that big a deal.

LIQUID24 said:
That's his only knock IMO. But I don't think it's a deal breaker. He's listed at 6'2", which means he's about 6'1". But guys like Favre and McNabb are only 6'2", so I don't think a 1 inch difference is that big a deal.

When I see him, I can't help but think of Jake Plummer. Aaron Rodgers has that type of build, and their styles are very similar. If you saw Rodgers last season, you would have seen a very erratic passer. He has improved his consistency this year, so you hope he will be more consistent than Plummer has been at the NFL level.

Any quarterback you draft is going to be a 2-3 project. It took Peyton Manning a full year to hit his stride. People forget that he threw 21 interceptions as a rookie. You simply don't find a Dan Marino or a Ben Roethlisberger that does well coming out of the gate.

Another thing I like about Rodgers is that he isn't one of those quarterbacks who will start scrambling around when he feels pressure. That's the true sign of a good quarterback, IMO. You have too many guys that people want to believe is a good prospect that will start running the minute they feel any pressure. If you are a quarterback, you have to have the mentality to stand in against that pressure and either make the pass or step up and make the pass.

ASU has a guy named Thrower on their team. Why couldn't he have been a quarterback?

LIQUID24 said:
Most recently, I saw his 6 TD performance against UCLA (I'm Tivo'ing tonight's game). Honestly, I can't say I was all that impressed. He threw 3 INT's and misfired his passes many times. I believe he completed less than half his passes. He also threw into double coverage more than I would like to see. Some of that could be the lack of talent around him.

No question the kid has talent. Like you said, he has the size and arm you look for. But I just feel he is very raw and would be a 2-3 year project. At best, I think he's a late 1st round prospect at this point. That could change though.

Walter is pretty experienced. He played a lot as a freshman and has started full time since his sophomore season. At this point, he isn't raw on the college level. He's got a big arm, but some of the things he does are questionable. He looks like a QB who can be on the same level as Kerry Collins, has a big arm but makes too many mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom