Wannstedt says Dolphins first-teamers played well | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt says Dolphins first-teamers played well

PatsWin2002

Bringin' it!
Reaction score
Figued I'd post this....even though you probably already know........

Wannstedt says Dolphins first-teamers play well in preseason loss

Sunday, August 17, 2003
Associated Press

MIAMI  The Miami Dolphins backups lost two fourth-quarter leads in their preseason loss at Jacksonville, but the play of the first-teamers was encouraging, coach Dave Wannstedt said Saturday.

Wannstedt was particularly happy with the defense, which held Jacksonville to one first down in the first quarter. The Jaguars beat the Dolphins 27-23 Friday night.

"The first-team defense moved around well from a quickness standpoint, but mostly from an execution standpoint," Wannstedt said.

Wannstedt singled out the work of veteran linebacker Junior Seau. Seau wasn't credited with any tackles, although he got close to quarterback David Garrard on a blitz.

"He didn't do anything that might have shown up, but his play yesterday is the best it has been as far as playing within the scheme," Wannstedt said. "Junior made some good adjustments. You could see he's a lot more comfortable."

The link:
http://www.naplesnews.com/03/08/sports/d943691a.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Seau needs to start doing something on the field.

Originally posted by Prime Time
Seau needs to start doing something on the field.
In pre-season?

I'm not worried about Jr... I doubt he's giving anywhere near 100% until it counts. Preseason is to evaluate the "potentials", veterans like Seau don't need to prove anything... they just have to keep from being injured.

Well, Seau almost had a sack. Actually he almost had 2..

If you read one of his quotes he said that he went to arm tackle the QB, and followed it up with "He knows with the regular season begins".

Sooo, I'm not worried.

I think we looked very good. Jason Taylor and O-Gun were very close to a couple of sacks. Taylor and Thomas combined for a sack. Greenwood was chasing down guys for tackles. Wade Smith looked solid for a rookie going up against one of the best DE's in the league (Hugh Douglas). Fiedler went 7 for 11 with a TD. Our Defense held the Jaguars to less than 20 yards total offense in the first quarter... but they didn't have Fred Taylor or Mark Brunell. Derrius Thompson had an amazing 23 yard catch, and finished the day with 2 rec's for 31 yds. McMichael pulled down a few good catches, and recovered from last weeks bad performance.

Back
Top Bottom