Wannstedt the problem on offense? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt the problem on offense?

Disgustipate

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7629204.htm

DO WHAT'S NECESSARY

Wannstedt doesn't deny imposing his will on the offense but defends his actions by saying he was doing what was necessary to win.

''You have to do what you can do as a coach to win,'' he said. ``We had a rookie left tackle. You want to drop back and throw it 50 times in a game? How much sense does that make?

``When Don Shula was the coach and he had Bob Griese and Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris, they ran the ball and played defense to win a Super Bowl. And they went undefeated, so I don't want to hear the [stuff] about throwing vs. running. Then when Shula had Dan Marino and Mark Clayton and Mark Duper, they threw the ball.

``As a coach, you play to your strengths. That can change week to week, but you have to take advantage of what your guys can do.''

The sad truth is Miami's 24th-ranked offense could do nothing spectacular and little consistently in 2003, other than run Williams.

''When you have a running back like Ricky, you have to give him the chance to win the games,'' Wannstedt said. ``More times than not, when I look back and second-guess myself, usually I end up saying, `Why didn't I give it to Ricky?'

``Next year, our goal is to be balanced. Our wish list at the end of the day is to say Ricky had 25 carries and we threw the ball 35 times with no turnovers and scored a bunch of points.

``But we need to change some things to do that.''

''We're going to add, and we're going to get strong on offense,'' Wannstedt said. ``We have to. We have to get better play from our offensive line and our quarterback and our receivers. Those are the three major areas. And we need to coach better. We can coach them better, and we need the players to play better and be more consistent.''

''The way Jay played the last game of the year is the way we would all like to see him play every game,'' Wannstedt said. ``Our quarterback play was not as good this year as what it's been the last couple of years, especially in relation to touchdowns and interceptions.

glad to know he sees the problem. he stays positive, and everyone assumes he doesn't have a clue. glad to see that can be put to rest.

I think Wannstedt just admitted that he simply didn't have the confidence in his boy Jay, the offensive line he put together, and the receiving corps he put together to open up the offense.

well thank god he finally realizes all the mistakes he made last offseason it sounds like we will have a much better offseason this year...I really want to see these problems taken care of

Something that makes me especially happy is his quote "We are going to try and keep the defense together as much as possible" which means we wont see to many changes which is a very good thing. Means no 1st round defensive picks and free agency guys coming in we will see offense instead.

When you look at it, who can we give up on D and get more on O..if we simply not resign people we gain cap space, but who on O should we not sign other than the obvious BG, OG, now the the tough part, t. perry, ruddy, I think Nails will rebound, but we need a strong center and another guard. Yates may be the answer..Whitey, unless he improves 180%, just didn' t impress me. Jay is on the bubble..but we need vet to replace him..just getting a 1st round qb wouldn't be enough to replace him to me..even if it's Rivers, whom I like. or even Eli. I also need a new ST coache, with better schemes, we had the speed at return man this year, but no support to use them. As far as JM and DT...we keep DT and find a number 2, moving DT to the slot. I still thought we should have started CC and JM last year..but that was my opinion.

We're going to lose strength on D to gain strength on O......... Its the teetie totter effect......

Damn, why didn't we make these changes 3 years ago?? Who know what would have happened if ownership decided to hire a true GM. We can only imagine at this point.

Tim Bowens from what I hear wants to stay with Miami and will take a huge pa cut in order to do so.. I believe this Miami defense will stay the same besides Ogun leaving because of a huge contract being thrown at him.. This off-season will be all offense.. Maybe one defensive acquisition..

Hopefully, these offensive acquisitions will not be wasted on players like Thompson.. We need proven players and WR's that benefit from pass happy offenses...

Originally posted by Jeep
We're going to lose strength on D to gain strength on O......... Its the teetie totter effect......

once again we get to the window of oppertunity discussion. We had a "window" of oppertunity with Marino, but couldn't get the cast. Now we've had this window with the defense, but we can't get it done either.

I'm not all about foresaking our defense, as we still have a good 2 years out of it, but after that it'll start to fall apart. High paid players, players getting old, etc. At that point, the young offense will have to be the nucleus of our team. We have a young talented offense, and a great veteran defense.......but in 2 years we'll have to turn towards the offense.

I'm all about trying to win now, but we should do it in a way that doesn't stunt the future. As, we NEED to draft a rookie QB so we have someone down the road, while in the meantime bringing in a vet. QB (brunelle) to try to win with this team.

At least he finally admitted that there needs to be some position changes rather than saying that we must play better...................etc.

Jay will not be the starting qb next year and Griese will be gone as well, but also need a 2nd reciever to give Chambers a chance to breakout. With a good #2 receiver and a quality qb and alot of things would improve right away.

Yet the O-line upgrade must be our 1st priority!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Disgustipate
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/7629204.htm

DO WHAT'S NECESSARY

Wannstedt doesn't deny imposing his will on the offense but defends his actions by saying he was doing what was necessary to win.

''You have to do what you can do as a coach to win,'' he said. ``We had a rookie left tackle. You want to drop back and throw it 50 times in a game? How much sense does that make?

``When Don Shula was the coach and he had Bob Griese and Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris, they ran the ball and played defense to win a Super Bowl. And they went undefeated, so I don't want to hear the [stuff] about throwing vs. running. Then when Shula had Dan Marino and Mark Clayton and Mark Duper, they threw the ball.

``As a coach, you play to your strengths. That can change week to week, but you have to take advantage of what your guys can do.''

The sad truth is Miami's 24th-ranked offense could do nothing spectacular and little consistently in 2003, other than run Williams.

''When you have a running back like Ricky, you have to give him the chance to win the games,'' Wannstedt said. ``More times than not, when I look back and second-guess myself, usually I end up saying, `Why didn't I give it to Ricky?'

``Next year, our goal is to be balanced. Our wish list at the end of the day is to say Ricky had 25 carries and we threw the ball 35 times with no turnovers and scored a bunch of points.

``But we need to change some things to do that.''

Typical Wanny trying to cover his own ***.......AGAIN! Thing is, what he didn't mention was that shula was operating with HOF QBs, RBs and WRs. Wanny has made no move/s in that direction other than Ricky. i don't sare how good an individual is, he can't go it alone. He'll have Ricky wore out in another yr or 2 like this. Wanny does not balance his strengths out like Shula did. Early on, Shula had great players all over the O. Later on with Marino, he had 2 of the best WRs in the biz albeit a lack of a run gm, but nobody could stop us either way. Now with Ricky, teams figured out to just stack the line to stop him. Wanny has done absolutely nothiung for the Oline and receivers to speak of. What he has done to our QB position is a travesty and totally inexcusable. bringing in Fiedler at the time in 2000 was fine, but he never followed up by pursuing a young future QB. Aaah, enuf of it already. just makes me more depressed !! :cry: :cry:

Back
Top Bottom