Wannstedt Waffling On Offer? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wannstedt Waffling On Offer?

jimmyjam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
From PFT.............

There's a palpable murmur in league circles regarding the question of whether Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt formally will accept the offer of continued employment as head coach in exchange for the relinquishment of his authority over personnel.

We're not saying that Wannstedt won't sign the new contract -- just that league insiders are buzzing about the fact that the deal isn't officially done, and the lingering possibility that Wannstedt will walk.

Perhaps Wannstedt wants to have a better idea as to the identity of the new G.M. Or perhaps Wannstedt isn't comfortable accepting a demotion. Or perhaps, in the end, he'll merely be happy to have a head-coaching job.

With Steve Spurrier now available (though the Redskins hold his rights), don't be shocked if the Wannstedt situation collapses. Huizenga, for example, could get impatient, and a nudge at the wrong time could prompt Wannstedt to walk.

We've got no specific information as to any of these possibilities. The fact that Wannstedt hasn't inked the paperwork, however, invites speculation and rumor.

As to the vacant G.M. gig, we got a kick out of the fact that some news outlets have characterized former Packers G.M. Ron Wolf as the top choice for the job, even as the boys at ESPN continue to focus on the short list including only their pals -- Randy Mueller, Tom Modrak, and Tim Ruskell.

Well gee, maybe that's because Wolf was almost the first to scheduled an interview.

Spurrier sounds like he's done coaching so i don't see that happening.

He already publicly accepted the new structure....if he hasn't signed anything yet, it's just a formality....this is a non story, IMO.

Why would he walk? He was given a public lovefest after a very poor season, Wanny has it made in Miami.

I also don't think he is a quitter, he takes pride in his job and will do everything in his power to maintain his position here, even if it means relinquishing his duties as GM.

I don't think Wanny is dumb enough to walk. He knows that if he walks that no one else would hire him as a head coach.

Agreed: non-story. Nothing but speculation that something *could possibly* happen before a contract is signed.

Whilst this rumour may have no more substance that the Manning story...

...it may be based in the fact that Wanny want's to carry on with Spielman as though nothing has happened. Meanwhile, another appointment might make him decide to go elsewhere. Also, he gets so much **** from finfans, he may thinks it's just not worth it staying here.

In spite of what a lot of Fin fans think, I think there a lot of NFL franchises for whom he would be considered an upgrade at H/C and he might be keeping his options open to see who else gets canned.

IMHO.

PFT's a crap place anyways. 85% of their stuff is BS and then they pat themselves on the back for the rare times they are right. That is when they aren't making fun of Len from ESPN.

Originally posted by jimmyjam
From PFT.............

There's a palpable murmur in league circles regarding the question of whether Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt formally will accept the offer of continued employment as head coach in exchange for the relinquishment of his authority over personnel.

We're not saying that Wannstedt won't sign the new contract -- just that league insiders are buzzing about the fact that the deal isn't officially done, and the lingering possibility that Wannstedt will walk.

Perhaps Wannstedt wants to have a better idea as to the identity of the new G.M. Or perhaps Wannstedt isn't comfortable accepting a demotion. Or perhaps, in the end, he'll merely be happy to have a head-coaching job.

With Steve Spurrier now available (though the Redskins hold his rights), don't be shocked if the Wannstedt situation collapses. Huizenga, for example, could get impatient, and a nudge at the wrong time could prompt Wannstedt to walk.

We've got no specific information as to any of these possibilities. The fact that Wannstedt hasn't inked the paperwork, however, invites speculation and rumor.

As to the vacant G.M. gig, we got a kick out of the fact that some news outlets have characterized former Packers G.M. Ron Wolf as the top choice for the job, even as the boys at ESPN continue to focus on the short list including only their pals -- Randy Mueller, Tom Modrak, and Tim Ruskell.

This is just slime-ball reporting imho !!!

A reporter or reporters with an ax to grind and need to release a form of hyperbole to keep their name in print ...

:yell:

Marino1983

Why would Wanny not take the deal. Next year he will say " Well it just din't happen. Well make it happen in 2005 " If that does not work : See Yaa retire with two years salary ( around 5 million)House, Cars paid for. How many fans can retire on that . He said he would retire with the Dophins. Sweet deal !!

Absolutely - I see no reason Dave would back out of such a great offer. He's got to be happy he's still got a job. I heard that Spurrier cannot coach in the NFL for three (3) years because he's still under contract to Washington, so that's a non issue as well. I think Spurrier will take a year off and then go back to the college ranks.

Originally posted by njfinfan
Absolutely - I see no reason Dave would back out of such a great offer. He's got to be happy he's still got a job. I heard that Spurrier cannot coach in the NFL for three (3) years because he's still under contract to Washington, so that's a non issue as well. I think Spurrier will take a year off and then go back to the college ranks.

Spurrier can coach in the NFL but if he does in the next 3 seasons the Redskins will be compensated.

He's not mad about the demotion. He was quoted as saying "I don't care about titles, I just want to coach football" or something to that effect.

I really doubt he would leave Miami. The owner has faith in him and most of the players like him. Also Miami is a winning team, I don't think he would want to leave a situation like that.

Back
Top Bottom