Wanny stands up for players but they | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny stands up for players but they

Dolfan4life

Starter
Reaction score
don't stand up for him.

He is positive, reassuring, always focused on the next game, and he goes to bat for his players week in and week out.

He could have ripped Mare for missing those two FGs against NE. Why not he is the highest paid kicker in the league. He could have said, "Hey Olindo better not miss another or his a$$ is out the door." I mean hey that is what it is like for Wanny. Instead, he is positive and comments on how it will be corrected and we have faith.

He could have ripped Seau for that roughing the QB penalty. Ripped McMichael for missing his block against Rodney Harrison, which led to Fiedler's fumble. He could tell the press every week how much of a disappointment Thompson has been. What about commenting on how overpaid Madison is. Tell the press that five of the cheerleaders could block better than our O line.

Wanny has to have a sick feeling because he obviously loves the job he has, and the players he sticks up for week in and week out do not perform for him. They go out and lay eggs.

Wanny will most likely go, but just because that is what every owner does. If you don't go to the SB fire the Coach. It is a joke that coaches like Fassel get fired. SB appearance two years ago and he is out the door. Hey that is the business side of this game though. I just hope whoever coaches next year is not a premadonna like JJ.

Yup Wanny is a class act all around. I really like the guy.

I cant blame all the losses on coaching. The Houston and NE(home game) we were in position to win, but our overpaid kicker chokes.

Cant blame Wanny for those games.
I do however feel there is a change needed and that is what is best for the team.

Come on Fins, lets finish the season on a good note and beat the Jills and Jets!

I think the players all like "Wanny" but they dont fear him or respect him! With a few coaches in football, Parcells, Billichick, Butch Davis, Shanahan and a few others some players dont even like the coach but they are scared of them and they do thier job because they know any of the coaches above will not hesitate to bench them, suspend them, cut them or whatever seems like the Dolphin players dont worry about those things. That is not the rule through the NFL, players in K.C love cry boy Vermil and he gets the best out of them. From someone looking in from the outside sounds like the Dolphin players need a hard a$$ coach to come in and right the ship, make guys worry about thier jobs! Even if the some players have all the talent in the world they sometimes still need a push in the right direction.

Shanahan should thank his lucky stars he ever got to "coach" Elway and Mr 2000 yard season Davis. Other than that, he is average at best.

That could be what this team needs. Somebody who will get on their azz and make them accountable. But that's not necessarily a must.

IMO, you have at least one of two things. Either you're tough, or you're a motivator. In rare occasions, you get both (Jimmy).

I really like Wanny as a man. He is an outstanding human being. But he is neither of those things (tough or motivating) as a coach. It's not something you can fake. You either have it or you don't. And Wanny knows that.

So what's it going to be, a motivator or a dictator??

Wanne is a great guy, nice man and a good DC, but not a good HC and not a good enough personnel guy. Maybe Wanne would have succeeded w/Tom Donahoe making all the players decision, maybe not...

I have never heard the players blame the coach though

In other rare cases, you get a guy who's an absolute genius on one side of the ball with a standout coordinator running the other side of the ball. Tony Dungy is an example of this. Except he didn't have very good offensive coordinators in Tampa. Now he's got Tom Moore in Indy and they playing like gangbusters.

Originally posted by dolphan39
Wanne is a great guy, nice man and a good DC, but not a good HC and not a good enough personnel guy. Maybe Wanne would have succeeded w/Tom Donahoe making all the players decision, maybe not...

I have never heard the players blame the coach though

That's another good point. No matter who we hire, I think it's high time we got a GM in here. Hopefully they'll promote Speilman. Time to let the coaches focus on coaching.

Originally posted by Muck
In other rare cases, you get a guy who's an absolute genius on one side of the ball with a standout coordinator running the other side of the ball. Tony Dungy is an example of this. Except he didn't have very good offensive coordinators in Tampa. Now he's got Tom Moore in Indy and they playing like gangbusters.
I agree, but it is also the players... i.e. if you have a great O, getting a great DC to be HC makes sense

and in our case, we need a great offensive mind as our HC since anyone s/b able to coach our D

When I played HS ball, Everyone Respected our 5'4" Oline coach/Assistant HC .. why cause he would come 4 feet onto the feild to chew you out on your way to the sidelines when you FUBARED a play... Same guy would go out there and give 150% the verry next play...

IMO with Football thats wat you need. Someone who gets in your face when you FUBAR a paly.

My HS head coach (Jim Prince) was all heart. He gave motivational talks at the pep rallies that I will never forget. One such occasion, the entire school (2000 students) was in the football bleachers for a rally... and the speaker system went out. That didn't stop coach though... he put down the mic, and belted out his "I am sombody" schpiel loud enough that he could be heard at the end of the parking lot outside the field. In the weight room, he was fiery about motivating that player to get one extra rep. If you couldn't do it, he'd step in and do it for you... citing football as a team sport, and showing that he holds himself to the same standards as his players. To top it all off, he was the sort of person who you'd beg to have as your gym teacher... and who you would go tell your problems to. I nominate him! Seriously though, having been motivated by someone of the mold before... I'd say a little of both is what we require...

In agreement here with most of the posts: Wanny's too much of a standup guy for the players. They didn't repay the respect he's given them. May be that's human nature, dunno.

Originally posted by Illini_Jack
Yup Wanny is a class act all around. I really like the guy.

I cant blame all the losses on coaching. The Houston and NE(home game) we were in position to win, but our overpaid kicker chokes.

Cant blame Wanny for those games.
I do however feel there is a change needed and that is what is best for the team.

Come on Fins, lets finish the season on a good note and beat the Jills and Jets!
the houston game was nowhere near the kickers fault unless it was the kicker that threw the int to coleman to set up the game winning field goal.

Back
Top Bottom