Wanny talking out both sides?? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny talking out both sides??

Jeep

Premium Member
Reaction score
From the Sun Sentinel
" Mark's job to lose," Wannstedt said. "But I guess that's the way it is with any starter. You've got to prove that you're the guy.' I'm confident Mark will do that."

Is this Dave having double standards?? Here we are in open competition for the punting duties.. yet before Brian Greise had a name or a number on a Dolphin Jersey, Dave closed the competition by saying....

From the Sun Sentinel "Coach Dave Wannstedt, who has repeatedly confirmed that Fiedler is the starter for this season."

Now personally, I think Dave was correct in picking Jay Feidler as our QB this year.. Jay is more familiar with the offense and Jay has been the better/sharper of the two QB's...

I just dont like the fact that competition was closed before Mini/training camp even started..

So I ask you.. is this a clear case of double standards or am I just bored, nit picking Dave's comments and need to get out into the sunlight and enjoy my Sunday afternoon??

No, Jay is the QB of this franchise and has done nothing to loose that status, he's been consistent in 3 different O's in 5 years. He's won way more games than Brian, and BG showed nothing in Denver imho, to warrant coming here to start. Wanny was looking for a Backup this offseason to replace Lucas period, and that's what he got. No need to open completition on something that's not broke.

I think you're just "bored, nit picking Dave's comments and need to get out into the sunlight and enjoy my Sunday afternoon??" :)

I think Dave was- for lack of a better phrase- foolish to say that a job "is his to lose". That goes for any position. That just leads to players not feeling like they are playing for their very jobs (the way that I think it should be). While I support Wanny, there have been several times that he has been accused of having double standards and lying to players. Gadsen, Turk, Huard just to name a few. So to answer your question, yes, Dave does have double standards.

I disagree. Foolish? That's overly critical. It all depends on the player. If you want a guy to have confidence you say one thing; if another guy needs fear to motivate him, then you use that. You don't have a clue what motivates the Dolphins punter. On top of that, everyone knows it's going to take a punter to show great consistency in being clearly better to replace a guy who has already proven himself - that's because 2-3 solid pre-season games do not make a consistent NFL calibre punter! Stemke would really have to dominate in both practice and games to overcome a guy who has been able to do a professional, if not exceptional, job under pressure. I think that's all he's saying by the comment.

With respect to "Double standards" - you are blowing that way out of proportion. Name all the guys who have accused him of having a double standard that was unfair - give the quotes as well, if those three are "just to name a few!" Further, accusations are not proof. Especially from guys who a) did not get the job done (Huard), b) asked much too much in the way of money for their level of skill (Turk, Gadsden); and c) were at times bitter about not getting what they felt they deserved in free agency (Gadsden and Turk). Oronde certainly didn't have trouble going back to Wannstedt and asking for another shot.

Now, if you are talking abou a guy with proven ability (JT, Ricky, Zach) not having to compete head to head with a guy for a starting job, well that's not what I would describe as a double standard.

Further, it is not true that competition at QB was not open. The fact is, Griese never has offered any and the coaches knew, realistically, he wouldn't offer any (unless some miracle occurred)! If Griese had been offering legit competition and Fiedler wasn't playing up to par - There would be a question about it and it would be open. They knew from the get-go that Griese would not be competitive for the starting position this year, coming onto the team at such a late date, trying to learn a new offense, with Fiedler already the starter who had a much better grasp of the offense.

Well anyone could lose their job, but guys like Fiedler can only lose it due to injury. I think this thread is overanalyzing some quotes.

I agree 100% with the original post. Why bring in a good QB like Griese only to promptly announce the starting position is not negiotable? Open competition (not controversy) will only have brought motivation and better practive effort to Jay AT THE LEAST.

FINTASTIC!

:hmmm:

Originally posted by Dolfan02
I agree 100% with the original post. Why bring in a good QB like Griese only to promptly announce the starting position is not negiotable? Open competition (not controversy) will only have brought motivation and better practive effort to Jay AT THE LEAST.

FINTASTIC!

How do you qualify Griese as a good QB, what has he done since he's been here that would make you think he's a good QB. What did he do in Denver that makes you think he's a good QB? BG is not very good at this point of his career, and as I stated before, Wanny wasn't looking for a starting QB, he was good for a better backup than Lucas, and hopefully that's what he got. But he defintely didn't get a better starting caliber type QB..no way, I watched too many of Denver's games to think he's better than Jay. I know without a doubt that Jay's better than BG at QB.

Originally posted by Dolfan02

FINTASTIC!

Because QB controversies ruin teams!!! An open competition at the QB spot does not normally provide a healthy competition that makes all competitors better as it does at other spots.

WHY?!?! Well, most other spots in football are based purely on heart, determination, and physical abilities. Therefor, if a player thinks he might lose his spot he pushes himself to the limits.

At QB, it has a lot more to do with mental abilities. (How well you know the offense, making the proper reads, and executing plays efficiently.) A QB will generally play better when they are calm and collected... getting a QB worried and forcing them to contantly look over their shoulder does nothing but make him play worse. If QB's are pitted against one another, they force things and try to make things happen when they aren't really there because they are if they don't "make the big play" they will lose their spot to the next guy.

I GUARANTEE you... that even in a "closed" competition, had Griese came in and completely dominated with a full grasp of our offense he would be the starter. But, that hasn't happened, and wasn't very likely to happen which is why the coaches gave Fiedler the edge. But, the coaches statements are more them playing psychologist and trying to get the QB's relaxed and comfortable in their spots so that they can perform at their best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well jay may be better at this time but Jay has never been to the Probowl or posted a QB rating of 130 either, now thats not to say he should not be the starting QB, but what is football all about? Competing....so why should'nt every position on the team be open?
What do the starters have to fear someone better taking their place?
Wow...what a concept may the best man win,does anyone out there think that JT or Ricky will lose their job to someone else? No! so whats wrong with every job being open. When a player become(complacent) spelling? with his job he (can) become sloppy. We need the competition........IMO.

A) QB controversies are not good.
B) Near impossible for any QB to walk in and unseat Jay with so little time in Norv Turners extensive playbook.
C) Everyone knows Brian is just a one year rental.

By the way I don't see any real difference in those comments. He's saying that they are both the starters and both way these guys lose their jobs is simply by not being healthy enough to play.

Originally posted by rickykicks@$$
Well jay may be better at this time but Jay has never been to the Probowl or posted a QB rating of 130 either, now thats not to say he should not be the starting QB, but what is football all about? Competing....so why should'nt every position on the team be open?
What do the starters have to fear someone better taking their place?
Wow...what a concept may the best man win,does anyone out there think that JT or Ricky will lose their job to someone else? No! so whats wrong with every job being open. When a player become(complacent) spelling? with his job he (can) become sloppy. We need the competition........IMO.

Yes he did on 09-09-01 against the Titans on SNF, QBR 132. Not that he having a QBR of 130 means a darn thing.

As far as the Pro-Bowl, Jay has never had the array of HOF receivers to throw as Griese did in Denver did either. Many believe, not exclusive to Dolphins fans, that Jay was well on his way to the Pro-Bowl before being injured in the Broncos game last year.

And it's amazing to me we have to discuss this every other month. It's getting darn old!

Oliver...

Every coach HAS to talk out of both sides of their mouth. Just like the president has to do the same. There are just certain realities that make it that way...namely fans/taxpayers.

We also have much more access to the coaches than we used to. This results in more getting said, and as a result eventually one of them is a contradiction.

Back
Top Bottom