Wanny talking out both sides?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny talking out both sides??

Jimmy Johnson said it best; "I am very consistent in the way I treat my players, I treat them all differently". "If a rookie falls asleep during film study, he just lost his job, but if it's Dan Marino who falls asleep, he gets a gental nudge"

Each player should be treated differently, as everyone has a different personality. As someone else said, certain players are motivated by fear. Mark Dixon is one of those guys. He has been self-depreciating since the day he joined the team.

As for closing the QB job, Brian had zero chance of playing better than Jay this season, as he needed to learn Norv's entire playbook. We would of had to scale back the playbook for Brian, thus making this offense a copy cat of last years "Ray Lucas offense" which wasn't getting it done.

So why open a competition?

Originally posted by eltos_lightfoot
From all reports, Jay doesn't need to improve....

Is this statement a joke? Everyone can improve including Brad Johnson who just won the SB, go read what he thinks.

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

How do you qualify Griese as a good QB, what has he done since he's been here that would make you think he's a good QB. What did he do in Denver that makes you think he's a good QB? BG is not very good at this point of his career,... I know without a doubt that Jay's better than BG at QB.

A) Griese is a good QB because he had a 85.6 rating last year compared to Jay's 85.2 last year.
B) Griese's best rating was in 2000 with a staggering 102.9 (19 TDs, 4 INTs, in 10 games) Jay's best was last year.
C)Griese's overall career rating is 84.1 while Jay's is 79.6.

Enough with numbers though. I also believe too that Jay has the edge this year for starter only because he's been on this team longer. But what's wrong with saying open competition? It only helps both guys.

Look at Bledsoe and Brady in their SB run. Look at Holsteter and Simms in there NY Giants SB run. Look at Johnson last year with the Bucs, don't forget THREE QB'S were competiting in preseason for starter. And look at Couch and Holcomb now, they're playing amazing even though its preseason. Don't be pysched that QB Competition is a bad thing just because someone else tells you it is. I personally believe the word "QB Controversy" started with Bills fans. They are traumitized what happened to them 3 years ago with Flutie and Johnson, they didn't know how to handle it so they had no success. They now think thats going to happen with every team with 2 good QBs.

IT COULD BE A GREAT THING, DON'T BE FOOLED

GO FINS!

:up:

Originally posted by Dolfan02

But what's wrong with saying open competition? It only helps both guys.

Look at Bledsoe and Brady in their SB run. Look at Holsteter and Simms in there NY Giants SB run.

There was no "open competition" in either of those situations. In each, injuries forced a clearly defined backup to step up, with fabulous results.

As fans, we like the idea of competition. But if you ask the players, I would bet they'd prefer a stable situation at starting QB and the security of knowing that should something happen, they have a QUALITY backup to turn to.

When a QB competition occurs, you have the rest of the team separating into camps depending on who they like, which delays the gelling of the offense as a unit.

No, I think the QB situation is just fine the way it is.

Originally posted by DrAstroZoom

There was no "open competition" in either of those situations. In each, injuries forced a clearly defined backup to step up, with fabulous results.

There was no competition? If you remember correctly, Bledsoe was healthy at about week 13 in the regular season and wanted the starting position back but the coach said it's Brady's to lose. When Brady got hurt and couldn't play in the AFC championship game, Bledsoe played magnificantly. For the SB, there was much doubt (competition) who would start, and finally the coach said Brady.

When a QB competition occurs, you have the rest of the team separating into camps depending on who they like, which delays the gelling of the offense as a unit.

This is not high school football, they are professional football players who get paid to make adjustments, they're not going to risk their jobs to do 'he-said-she-said' behavior.

No, I think the QB situation is just fine the way it is.

This is the problem. You should only feel fine if you're the defending SuperBowl champions. Or at least if you had a very successful and healthy season the year before.

:patriot:

Originally posted by Dolfan02

This is not high school football, they are professional football players who get paid to make adjustments, they're not going to risk their jobs to do 'he-said-she-said' behavior.

Telll that to Buffalo.

Exactly 02 there was no competition in either of those situations. Belechick said Brady was the starter even when Bledsoe came back and Simms was out for the year when he got hurt in the Giants SB year. I always hate those punter controversies, they can tear a team apart.......

One more thing, 02 ... you're suggesting a competition starting preseason, which did NOT happen in the Bledsoe/Brady and Simms/Hostetler situations. And, as DNY pointed out, even once the starter who had been injured was healthy, they were never given a chance to reclaim their posts. Thus, there was never any competition.

"Professional" or not, NFL ballers are human, and they have their preferences. And they are NOT afraid to share them.

Back
Top Bottom