Wanny to be retained? (It might happen!) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny to be retained? (It might happen!)

Section126

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Wannstedt signs 4-year extension with Dolphins

MIAMI - The Miami Dolphins have rewarded Coach Dave Wannstedt for keeping the team competitive with a four-year contract extension.

The team announced Thursday evening that Wannstedt's new deal runs through the 2007 season. Terms of the contract were not made available.

Wannstedt, 51, has led Miami to an 11-5 record and a playoff berth in each of his first two seasons since succeeding Jimmy Johnson.

The deal, in the works for several weeks, was actually completed last week after Wannstedt met with Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga.

"The significance of it is, Mr. Huizenga has confidence that things are headed in the right direction," Wannstedt said. "We had conversations two weeks ago."

The 22-10 regular-season record in his first two consecutive seasons is the best for the Dolphins since 1984-85, and it ties for second-best among NFL coaches during the past two years. In 2000, Miami won the AFC East title for the first time since 1994. Miami is one of three teams to reach the playoffs the last two seasons.

Wannstedt's extension became public on the same day the Dolphins announced quarterback Jay Fiedler had signed a five-year deal worth $24.5 million, ensuring that Brian Griese will be let go at the end of the season.

"Now, I'm sure both of our successes and failures will be linked together," Fiedler said.

Wannstedt is the fourth coach in the history of the Dolphins.

Before joining the Dolphins as Johnson's assistant head coach in 1999, Wannstedt spent six seasons as head coach of the Chicago Bears, posting a 40-56 record.

Other Notes:

Adding to the possible salary cap casualties that become evident every June, the Dolphins are expected to release veterans such as Patrick Surtain, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas, and Junior Seau. Other released players could be younger stars that are up for big pay days in the near future such as Randy McMichael, Chris Chambers, and a less likely Ricky Williams. Draft picks will be attained if the Dolphins Tender Adewale Ogunleye. Dave Wannstedt was asked what he would do with that abundance of picks, to which he replied, "We got some younger guys like Eddie Moore coming back next year, and we would like to address some of our needs on special teams." When asked about his concerns on the Offensive Line, Coach Wannstedt stated that he thought that the nucleus of Smith, Yates, Mckinney, Jerman would ensure the Dolphins with a much improved Offensive Line. When asked about adding One of the top notch available Offensive Lineman, he stated the teams cap situation would not allow for much room to add anyone.

In other News:

Peyton manning when asked about his possible decision to test the Free Agent market said, "I will be in Miami next year, and I plan to take Marvin harrison with me." The Dolphins could not be reached for comment.

oh thats just wrong!!!

I hate you...I really really hate you...

but funny, Ill give you that

I got my girlfriend with this one.

She was like? Why don't they get rid of the crappy players? Why are they keeping him as coach?

...and she doesn't even know football that well. :p

I feel the Jay forum being renamed to the Jay and Wanne forum :rolleyes2

oh god no...that was not funny at all....my balls felt like they got kicked and went into my stomach...that hurt man...quite playing around like that!!!

Back
Top Bottom