Wanny & Zach assure.......... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Wanny & Zach assure..........

The Beach Bum

Communication Artist, DSOA, WPB.FL
Reaction score
Guys, its preseason...... and a Wanny and Zach assured us...... we are not going all out

Zach said on a sideline interview, that the defense has a few new schemes that they arent using till Sept 8. He said that they were going to go easy tonight, or somehthing like that.

Wanny said before the game that we were just going to stick with the same plain offense, what i noticed was that it was the exact opposite offense that i read in the article about us not being plain anymore. So we did not get to bite into our Rocky Road ice cream, because its a suprise .......

So the offense and defense are basicly holding out untill opening day..... they are not releasing any traces of our new flavor team, and it is fine with me.......... i hope its fine with you and there is no negativity untll thursday

I feel sorry for the Lions they won't know what hit them.

This says it all. From the Sun-Sentinel:

"It's way too early," Bates said. "Of course, you don't want to give up that type of rushing yardage. We've just got to evaluate things and see where we are. There's no reason to panic. We're going to be fine."

Middle linebacker Zach Thomas emphatically agreed.

"You look at the preseason and some of the best teams are going to have some of the worst records," Thomas said. "Who cares? It's the first preseason game. We've got to get better. You can put a lot of things on it, but you're not going to hit me and tell me, `Oh, we've got a problem.' We ain't got a problem."

Zach says that Gruden game planned and threw most of what they have against the Phins. Yet we held them to just 7 points of offense with a vanilla D who wasn't trying very hard.

Good job on the game...still impressed with all the scrubs that won't make the team. Faced a lot of key reserves and former starters in the 2nd half, and shut them out....with only Ogunleye, Grant, Gamble and McGarrahan on the field who are likely to make the team. And Gamble and McGarrahan are there cuz of special teams and will likely never see playing time.

And I've got beef with some stuff from that article as well.

They talked about the 38-yard run from Pittman and mentioned that it came "where Daryl Gardener used to play". Well, if you look at it, it's not like they make it out to be.

First of all, Larry Chester didn't get blocked. He totally crushed Kerry Jenkins to the inside. For some reason, both he and Morlon Greenwood went for Alstott to the inside. Brad Johnson didn't even execute a fake. But for some reason they both went for Alstott. Greenwood met him and Chester got on him too.

Also, Keenan McCardell came back for the fake end-around. That froze Jason Taylor in the backfield. Chester came back and dove, getting a hand on Pittman, but it was already too late. The WR in coming around (freezing Taylor in the backfield) and Chester/Greenwood going inside....combined with the center and LT getting on Rodgers and Zach.....created a huge hole. BTW - Rodgers knocked the LT to the ground, but it was too late. And Zach was thrown to the ground when the center threw a forearm to the face.

If Chester hadn't cleared to the inside, the run probably goes for no gain. But it left Taylor out there on an island. And Brock missing the tackle didn't help either.

Also, Timbo shot right through against the RG. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Very true. Gruden said before the game that he wanted this more than the Phins coaches probably did. And they certainly threw a lot at us. By contrast, we rarely blitzed and didn't show much on offense.

Muck, have you watched the tape already? I watched the game but won't get a chance to watch the tape till tonight.

We didn't blitz OR throw any 8 man fronts up.

Now that I think about it, its good that we're throwing the 8 man fronts into the mix now because it appears that what this line is excellent at doing is penetrating. And a line that penetrates well can get run on very well too and doesn't necessarily keep everyone off Zach Thomas. So throw the 8 man fronts up there, because our strengths are our passrush and secondary, so it should be strong enough that we'll still have a top 5 pass defense...while at the same time bringing up the rear and turning our 18th ranked run defense into top 10 material. Thats a championship defense. Last year's was not,

I watched the game and was impressed with Lucas and Baker. It would be nice to finally see Baker make the team I've been hearing about him since the JJ days. I think by listening to Zack and Wanny its obvious the Dolphins aren't putting much stock in the pre-season. This is now a veteran defense and with the exception of one DE position the opening day lineup is set. There are more battles on offense but I don't think they can get a real measurement of what they have until each guy competing for a starting job gets to play with the first team offense. Unfortunately I'd expect a similiar performance Thursday against NO. Very vanilla!!!! They'll show more in the 3rd game and just try to get out of the last one injury free.

Originally posted by Dol_Fan5434
Guys, its preseason...... and a Wanny and Zach assured us...... we are not going all out

Zach said on a sideline interview, that the defense has a few new schemes that they arent using till Sept 8. He said that they were going to go easy tonight, or somehthing like that.

Wanny said before the game that we were just going to stick with the same plain offense, what i noticed was that it was the exact opposite offense that i read in the article about us not being plain anymore. So we did not get to bite into our Rocky Road ice cream, because its a suprise .......

So the offense and defense are basicly holding out untill opening day..... they are not releasing any traces of our new flavor team, and it is fine with me.......... i hope its fine with you and there is no negativity untll thursday

i agree that they were taking it easy. but to have penalties like that is not good people. penalties on your bread and butter is not good!

Back
Top Bottom