Warning for those all giddy about Richt to Miami.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Warning for those all giddy about Richt to Miami....

THE OG CANEPHINS

formally known as CANEPHINS
Reaction score
This coming from me who is both a Cane and a Dawg. Buyer beware. This is what I said to my fellow Dawg family and friends.

No matter what happens with the Dawgs from this point moving forward there will always be a division of those that think Richt needed to be let go and those that think he should be there until he sees fit. Problem is that college football is now big business. Big business means tough decisions need to be made. Tough decisions need to be made based on performance and performance tells the truth.
The record is the record and that doesn't lie.

The record of Richt vs teams that finished the season with a winning record in SEC conference play since 2008 (when the Dawgs opened the season ranked #1)...

2008 0-2
2009 0-2
2010 0-3
2011 0-2
2012 2-2
2013 2-1
2014 1-0
2015 0-3
TOTAL 5-15 (.250)

The record of Richt vs top 25 teams, ranked when we played them, since 2008 (again since they opened the season ranked #1)...

2008 3-3
2009 1-3
2010 0-4
2011 2-4
2012 2-2
2013 2-3
2014 4-2
2015 0-2
TOTAL: 14-23 (.378)

Those numbers right there, not even factoring in other losses are the reason he is now gone (or at least after the bowl game). I, like most of you, hate it because he is such a great man. He will continue to do great things, many beyond football. However, when it comes down to the bottom line he just wasn't getting it done.

In looking to the future, what trend says he would buck it and start winning at the highest level nationally and in the conference? Not to mention that in 2011 and 2012 he had to hope, and wait, for SC to lose 2 games so we could back into the SECCG. IF SC doesn't lose that LSU game or Arky game (SC could have won either) then neither trip to Atlanta happens.

Fact is, if you were underperforming at your job would your company keep you employed (with a salary which is among the highest in your profession) just because you are a nice person and live your life a certain way? Would they keep you just because people love you? No, they wouldn't. Those attributes might make it a tougher decision but based on your performance you would be let go.

This is where Richt was at. His record over the last 8 seasons, a near lifetime in coaching these days, vs top talent and winning teams in the SEC was terrible. Players weren't being coached up to perform at their highest level and, for parts of this season (See Florida game & starting Bauta) Richt looked clueless out there while grasping at straws. If not now, when? Now was the right time to make the move.

Fact is the bar is set higher at Miami. At UGA you aim to win the SEC and you shoot for the playoffs. At Miami you expect to win the championship...the whole enchilada. Now granted, the ACC isn't the SEC. However, the ACC is getting more competitive and those wins are tough to come by. What above doesn't also factor in is Richt losing 9 games over that same time to unranked teams. Richt is a shiney new toy, a pretty car with lots of miles. Not sure how his wife will like leaving small town living, they expected to spend the rest of their lives in Athens. So that could be something to follow as things unfold (much like Saban's wife when he was here).

Richt might get 9-10 wins every year while he is here. Those aren't the numbers that need to be focused on. It is who he loses to that needs to be closely followed.

Outside of that the program as a whole, from the kids to the off the field stuff, should be a point of pride. That however doesn't win rings. Richt put the most players into the NFL in the last 15 years. Most of those players got better when they left after underperforming at UGA. He coaches up off the field but not on it.

I just can't shake him.

Acc stinks but he will still lose and get outcoached like he has his whole career

Miami just had a coach that couldnt beat a single ranked team. We just had a coach that was scared of the dark and wanted all his games to be at noon.

Also Miami is in the Coastal the crappiest power 5 division. 10 wins will get you to the ACCCG.

Heck Larry Scott a Tight end coach did better then the car salesman. Think Richt can do better then Scott.

Living in ga and following the dawgs a little I hear ya Heisenfin. Hopefully a new start will do the trick for him. He has been a good recruiter and now he'll be in the area with the best ones to be had.
I wanted butch but I do think we got a solid coach who will at least win a few ACC titles. We've never won one.

He's only 55 so his best coaching might still be in front of him.

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Guess who they are projecting Miami to play in a bowl

TaxSlayer Bowl (1/2): Miami (FL) (ACC/Big Ten) vs. Georgia (SEC)

:)

If coach Scott beats his old team that would be telling

This coming from me who is both a Cane and a Dawg. Buyer beware. This is what I said to my fellow Dawg family and friends.

Fact is the bar is set higher at Miami. At UGA you aim to win the SEC and you shoot for the playoffs. At Miami you expect to win the championship...the whole enchilada. Now granted, the ACC isn't the SEC. However, the ACC is getting more competitive and those wins are tough to come by. What above doesn't also factor in is Richt losing 9 games over that same time to unranked teams. Richt is a shiney new toy, a pretty car with lots of miles. Not sure how his wife will like leaving small town living, they expected to spend the rest of their lives in Athens. So that could be something to follow as things unfold (much like Saban's wife when he was here).

Richt might get 9-10 wins every year while he is here. Those aren't the numbers that need to be focused on. It is who he loses to that needs to be closely followed.

Outside of that the program as a whole, from the kids to the off the field stuff, should be a point of pride. That however doesn't win rings. Richt put the most players into the NFL in the last 15 years. Most of those players got better when they left after underperforming at UGA. He coaches up off the field but not on it.

I just can't shake him.

The bar at one time was set higher but the Canes have not broke double digit wins since 2003. Have not won a bowl game since 2006. He is definately an upgrade and him being more hands on is a good thing.

I think Dlockz nails it. Richt lost his job at GA because he couldn't take them to the next level. The elite, the National Title. BUT he finished in the top 10 in 8 of his 15 years. UM hasn't been ranked in the top 25 in 6 years or even relevant for that matter. You also are somewhat jaded because those losses you list above often included the eventual National Champion in Alabama and Auburn etc. He averaged 10 wins a year over 15 years and that is in the best conference in the land. UM can't get double digit wins in arguably the worst conference in the land. Richt has won and done it consistently for a long time. That is very hard to do. Trust me the are going to miss Mark Richt in GA and Miami is lucky to have the guy.

Back
Top Bottom