Was Surtain the best corner in Dolphin history? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was Surtain the best corner in Dolphin history?

ZOD said:
NO........By far the best cornerback Miami has ever seen was Troy Vincent.

I base my opinion on one astounding fact. You have heard this fact brought up in the opinions of Adewale Ogunleye and others in the position prior to him. The fact is that Jason Taylor has made this defense. The pressure he places on the Quarterback cannot be underestimated.

In the seven years Patrick Surtain has been on the roster Jason Taylor has had 75.5 sacks. That's an average of 10 sacks per year. What that has done for the cornerback position is guarantee that the QB has the knowledge that he must get rid of the ball. Why? The QB coach or offensive coordinator has grilled it into him all week. The QB has seen it on film time and again. 3.5 seconds: If it's not there, throw it away. When Troy Vincent was on this team there was no such player. But Vincent succeeded in shutting down half of the field.

I never understood why we didn't resign him in 1996. It was probably the cap crushing 1995 year that was most responsible. Maybe his injury shortened 93 and 94 season had something to do with it. I don't know. But I do know this:

IMO Troy Vincent was the best cornerback to ever suit up in a Dolphins uniform.

while i don't disagree at all that having a pass-rusher like JT has helped our entire pass defense and certainly led to INT's for Sam and Pat........the argument can easily be made the other way that our great CB tandem often led to coverage sacks.

burger13 said:
while i don't disagree at all that having a pass-rusher like JT has helped our entire pass defense and certainly led to INT's for Sam and Pat........the argument can easily be made the other way that our great CB tandem often led to coverage sacks.

As a result of the Monday Night win and previous victories over the Tom Brady led Patriots, some observers are beginning to say we've got their number. Let me take you back to Monday night.

Someone got an interception. Someone got an interception for a touchdown. Who hit the arm of Tom Brady on that play?

Tom Brady places the ball at risk alot versus the Dolphins. That's why they lose alot to the Dolphins. He is "pressing" to get rid of the ball.

Yes you can say that Jason Taylor helps the coverage the same could be said in reverse. If you look at early in Madison's career in 1998 he had 8 int. While Jason Taylor had 9 sacks which proves that point but if you look to 1999, Sam Madison has another great season with 7 ints while Taylor comes up with only 2.5 sacks

CrunchTime said:
Dooger has mentioned the best but Dick Anderson was a great DB as well.I was watching a game downloaded from the torrents against the dynasty bound Steelers in 73 where he had 5 interceptions,two for TDs.He could be dominating at times.

Well, I got my 3 hours sleep. These threads are blurry as hell.

Anyway, I didn't mention safeties but if the question had been best DB then Dick Anderson is my choice. I always thought Anderson and Bill Stanfill were the best defenders of the glory era and worthy of Hall inclusion with better longterm health. If Anderson had made his famous INT return in a winning Super Bowl effort instead of an AFC Championship Game preceding a Super Bowl embarrassment, he might have made Canton even with his shortened career.

Anderson was the epitime of smart on a team defined by smarts. He was the up man on punt returns (in front of Jake Scott) on that diabolical Poly Turf. Countless times he saved 10+ yards by rushing forward and making diving grabs of knuckleball punts. He was the first player I ever saw who understood the punt return rule that a defensive player could field the ball without risk if a member of the punt team had already touched the ball but not stopped it. He did that his rookie year at Buffalo at maybe his own 5 yard line and the announcer was screaming how stupid Anderson was, ignorant of the rule himself. Anderson ran it back about 80 yards, if memory serves.

Back
Top Bottom