Was the Money Worth It? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Was the Money Worth It?

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Boston College (left the Big East) goes 8-3 ( best season in years...I mean YEARS) and is going to BOISE to play in the bowl on the blue turf........lol

Miami (left the Big East) goes 9-2 and will be in the Gator Bowl (against a Big East team nontheless lol).

Mind you BC or Miami could have or probably would have won the Big East (with VT in the mix too).

Aside from VT, how has jumping to the ACC helped anyone else? A bit more money in your pocket, sure. But BC has their best season in years and goes to their worst bowl in years. Miami is good enough to be a BCS team, but is in a 2nd tier bowl.

BOTH of these teams (especially Miami) could have stayed in the Big East, got an easy free pass to a BCS bowl year after year pretty much and have raked in the money and been in the "thick of it" year after year. Now, they are in a tough ACC and going to these 2nd and 3rd tier bowls ! (not to mention basketball wise Miami has no chance in hell in that conference). Miami in football will turn into JUST ANOTHER TEAM in the ACC. Just a matter of time.

The ONLY school who made out from this was VT. Who mind you.........at first the ACC didn't even want! The ACC was FORCED to take VT or else some schools weren't going to vote for expansion to let Miami in after months of debating. VT was forced on them....and they are the only one making out on this deal.

So to Miami and BC.........hows that jump to the ACC working out for ya! :rofl3: :rofl3:

P.S......and IF/WHEN they get rid of the BCS, and a playoff is in effect. How many teams from one conferene are they gonna take? You think VT, FSU, and Miami will ALL be in the playoff?? LOL, Miami will possibly be on the outside while CONFERENCE CHAMPS from the MAC, Mountain West, WAC, and oh yeah...the BIG EAST will be in the playoff!

Always better to be a BIG FISH in a small pond than be that small fish in a BIG POND! For the few extra dollars, was it worth it!?!?!?!?!?!?

seasons like this is why miami wanted into the acc. the big east pays based on conference standings, and miami was protecting themselves in case their dominance came to an end. the acc pays each team equally, the fball tv contract is second only to the sec in money, the bball tv contract is tops in the nation, and miami fits in the acc geographic footprint. it did not make sense for bc, but for vt and miami, it's been a better move no doubt.

I don't think Miami is hurt at all by coming into the conference, football or basketball-wise. They were pretty decent last year during basketball season, and their baseball program only adds to the great teams the ACC already had. And they are finding out just like everyone else, that the ACC is probably one of the TOP 2 football conferences in the nation now, and they aren't just going to come in and dominate.

Virginia Tech was strictly a football recruitment, nothing more, nothing less. It neither hurt them or helped them by coming into the ACC.

Boston College has always been a decent football team, and by them coming into the ACC other programs get to see for themselves. Their basketball program spoke for itself last year, but we'll get to see what it's made of this year.

The fact of the matter is the Big East was on a decline and these three programs saw the opportunity to jump into a conference that gets alot of publicity.

ACC FOOTBALL - Most likely Top 2 in the nation
ACC BASKETBALL - Not even close (#1 conference in the Nation)
ACC Baseball - Pretty even, but I'll say Top 3 in the Nation

The Mor is all for the ACC. People always said we were over rated in the Big East. We never got respect. Now in the ACC we will be respected. If we don't make it to a big bowl game, maybe it's because we're not good enough or we made BAD mistakes.

Saying that we should stay in an easy and respectless confrence just to "look" good isn't cool.

Do you think Florida, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, etc. would ever leave the SEC?? Much less for the Big East?? I don't. I think they relish playing in a tough conference.

I love the ACC move. It's more exciting playing in the ACC. The competition is better. We generally don't travel as far. And I was always more interested in the other teams they face now than the ones in the Big East anyway. Plus, the rivalry with FSU is even fiercer because it's a conference game. We also get the chance to face them in a championship game.

Larry Coker is the only thing that could possibly turn the Canes into "just another ACC team". But even I don't think it will go that far.

being a hardcore SEC fan i've always taken pride that the SEC schedule was the hardest in the nation but now that the ACC has VA Tech, and Miami, BC, and Florida State i'd rank them right up there with the SEC. I def. feel like Miami and VT both did the right thing. Like someone stated above the rivalry games have taken on a new meaning and it's made watching college football outside of the SEC alot more fun this year.

I've never liked how the Bowls were matched up. That, like the BCS, needs changed. It would make for a much more exciting bowl season if 1 played 4, 2 played 3(then a one game playoff), & have 5 play 6, 7 play 8, 9 play 10, etc...

Muck said:
Do you think Florida, Georgia, Bama, Auburn, etc. would ever leave the SEC?? Much less for the Big East?? I don't. I think they relish playing in a tough conference.

I love the ACC move. It's more exciting playing in the ACC. The competition is better. We generally don't travel as far. And I was always more interested in the other teams they face now than the ones in the Big East anyway. Plus, the rivalry with FSU is even fiercer because it's a conference game. We also get the chance to face them in a championship game.

Larry Coker is the only thing that could possibly turn the Canes into "just another ACC team". But even I don't think it will go that far.

HELLOOOOOO..., what about the best team in the SEC, my LSU Tigers?

J/K...I know you were just making an example...

No, but seriously, LSU owns.

I agree, though. Tougher games make for better BCS standings. No team in the SEC or the ACC would leave.

SMadison29 said:
I've never liked how the Bowls were matched up. That, like the BCS, needs changed. It would make for a much more exciting bowl season if 1 played 4, 2 played 3(then a one game playoff), & have 5 play 6, 7 play 8, 9 play 10, etc...

Its all about cash. C.R.E.A.M. gets the money baby.

Im all about a 4 team playoff, but the reason they wouldnt have 5 play 6 and 7 play 8 is because you might have conference bowl games, IE Miami playing VA Tech or PSU playing OSU. They dont make as much cash and plus the teams have already played each other. With this idea, THEORETICALLY, you might have teams that can play each other 3 times in a season. (Conferences that have conference championship games theoretically can have 2 teams that would play 3 times in a year if the conference championship teams were ranke 9 and 10 after the season)

I like how its #2 SEC vs #2 ACC and #2 Big10 vs #2 Pac 10. The bowls show who the stronger conference is.

If anything, a 4 team playoff is the way to go. Add the Cotton Bowl (or whatever) to the BCS mix so you have 5 BCS Bowls. 1vs4 and 2vs3 play in the Cotton and Orange Bowls and the Sugar and Fiesta Bowls host the other BCS teams the last weekend of December then the Rose Bowl has the national championship game the first week of January. You then rotate the bowls every year like it does now.

i disagree that bowls show who the stronger conference is. Some teams use BOWLS as a reward and try to win that game.

Other teams use bowls for extra practice time and get youg guys extra reps for a month of practice and if they win the game great if they don't, then so be it. Not they they mail it in, but they prepare MORE for the upcoming season rather than that one game.

I don't put much into which conference wins at bowl time. The Pac 10 sucks every year at bowl time yet USC just kills everyone. So,...

you have no clue what you're talking about if you think miami will become "just another team in the ACC." they have the best pool of talent in the country to draw prospect from in south florida, and quarterbacks from all over the country want to play there, as well as tons of TV time, and just looking at the 1st rounders in the past 5 years will draw prospects as well. ridiculous

gunhaver said:
you have no clue what you're talking about if you think miami will become "just another team in the ACC." they have the best pool of talent in the country to draw prospect from in south florida, and quarterbacks from all over the country want to play there, as well as tons of TV time, and just looking at the 1st rounders in the past 5 years will draw prospects as well. ridiculous

GATOR BOWL! Nuff said.

Where were they last year......Peach Bowl.

That best pool of talent thing goes for every college in the state. Florida and FSU lay claim to that as well. In a few years throw South Florida into that mix too.

Miami WILL become just another team in the ACC. They have already had embarassing losses to UNC, GT, and Clemson. Teams that have no right being on the same field as them, and those schools are beating them!

blame larry coker for that. as soon as he's fired things will be back to normal

and miami will go to a better bowl than any school in the state this year

i'm not a hurricane fan, and honestly i haven't watched one of their games since fsu vs. miami this year but what's the deal with Coker why do the Cane fans hate him so much

Back
Top Bottom