was Trace Armstrong a good leader for us?.. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

was Trace Armstrong a good leader for us?..

Originally posted by Oliver

I dunno, some of the toughest fights I ever got into was with smaller guys that were thick. Zach looks to me like he has some fight in him. It's hard to hurt guys like Zach, they are so compact, and at the same time so strong.

It would be a great fight, that's for sure.

Oliver...

Zach would win, Zach's shorter, therefore Zach is closer to punching Seau in the nads, fight over nuff said :D

ok, lets make something clear, I never said that Trace was a better leader than Seau, Oliver. All I said was that we hadn't have his kind of leadership since he left. I totaly agree that Seau will bring that leadership back.I also said that I think the players miss him but I don't know if you agree with that or not. This is not Trace vs Seau at all.

Originally posted by justafan

For all you know he might cause some pwer struggle with Zach. I doubt this will happen but it could (at least that's what I'm hoping for :D )

That IS just wishful thinking on your part justa... Zach has already stated that he has an undying respect for Seau and if anything,, Zach will want learn as much from JR as he possibly can ...:D Marino1983

I am reminded of a story after the Bengals game in TRace's last year here, it was towards the end of the half and JT said Trace came to him on the sideline and said something like: 'It's up to us to get the team back into this game - let's get in there and make a play."

Next series, JT strips the ball and takes it back for a TD, and Maimi is back in the game.

That, to me, is what a leader brings to the team. I think Seau will bring a similar mentality, and I think he has the chops to carry the respect needed for people to listen. At the time of that story, JT was fairly young, but he's improved a lot since then, and is now at the point were he should be saying that sort of thing as well.

I think the team needs more leaders that can motivate the rest of the squad to extraordinary action, and Jr. will be part of the solution.

Originally posted by Danny
ok, lets make something clear, I never said that Trace was a better leader than Seau, Oliver. All I said was that we hadn't have his kind of leadership since he left. I totaly agree that Seau will bring that leadership back.I also said that I think the players miss him but I don't know if you agree with that or not. This is not Trace vs Seau at all.

Yeah I guess I never really saw that kind of leadership qualities in Armstrong. He was a good player for us, but I don't think he did a wonderful job of leading our D anywhere. At least anywhere we wanted to go.

Oliver...

Trace Armstrong was the team player rep and thus was a voice in the locker room. He was likely a cool head when the room got hot. It may not be a coincidence that Gardener bolied over after Trace left, though that is pure speculation.

Seau is a voice on the field! and the voice is usually OOOOOOOOOOOOOW from the other team's players.

Both kind of leaders are needed at differant times and in differant ways.

The very idea that JT got better because Trace left is ludicrous, and shows you know little about the Dolphins, or even basic statistics, Oliver.

JT had 14.5 sacks during Traces last year, when Trace had 16. To a man the dolphins players went out of the way to recognize the leadership and positive attitude that Trace brought to the team. The year he left JTs sack production dropped to 8.5. It wasn't until the emergence of another great pass-rushing talent, Adewale Ogunleye, during last season that JT was allowed to reach his potential, a fantastic 18.5 sack campagn.

Even the intimation that Trace Armstrong wasn't a strog leader, and good for the Miami Dolphins, reeks of idiocy.

Originally posted by BigBoy
The very idea that JT got better because Trace left is ludicrous, and shows you know little about the Dolphins, or even basic statistics, Oliver.

JT had 14.5 sacks during Traces last year, when Trace had 16. To a man the dolphins players went out of the way to recognize the leadership and positive attitude that Trace brought to the team. The year he left JTs sack production dropped to 8.5. It wasn't until the emergence of another great pass-rushing talent, Adewale Ogunleye, during last season that JT was allowed to reach his potential, a fantastic 18.5 sack campagn.

Even the intimation that Trace Armstrong wasn't a strog leader, and good for the Miami Dolphins, reeks of idiocy.

Actually it's a fact, JT got better after Trace left. I happen to think it is because Trace left. Instead of being the 2nd voice in the D-Line meetings JT became the 1st voice. That is huge. Anyone that has played football knows you play football for your team mates. And some players need to be seen or rather feel they are the leader of a unit before they shine.

Not implying Trace held him back on purpose. It's just that Trace's career was on the decline and JT's career was on the assent.

Oliver...

Back
Top Bottom