WCQ: USA vs. El Salvador | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

WCQ: USA vs. El Salvador

iceblizzard69

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
The USA is playing El Salvador on September 4th at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro. The game will be live on FSW at 4PM EST. It will also be on Telemundo at the same time. Here is the roster for the game:

Goalkeepers (3): Tim Howard (Manchester United), Kasey Keller (Tottenham Hotspur), Jonny Walker (MetroStars)

Defenders (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham FC), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Bobby Convey (Reading FC), Cory Gibbs (Dallas Burn), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Oguchi Onyewu (Standard de Liege), Eddie Pope (MetroStars), Greg Vanney (SC Bastia)

Midfielders (8): DaMarcus Beasley (PSV Eindhoven), Landon Donovan, (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Gaven (MetroStars), Cobi Jones (Los Angeles Galaxy), Eddie Lewis (Preston North End), Clint Mathis (Hannover 96), Claudio Reyna (Manchester City), Kerry Zavagnin (Kansas City Wizards)

Forwards (4): Conor Casey (FSV Mainz), Brian Ching (San Jose Earthquakes), Eddie Johnson (Dallas Burn), Brian McBride (Fulham FC)

The USA should be able to win 3-0.

2-1 USA. I see this as a closer game then expected. Nice to see Mathis got called up. Where is Friedel? Why isn't he being called up anymore? Where is Sanneh? Where is O'Brien?

Prime Time said:
2-1 USA. I see this as a closer game then expected. Nice to see Mathis got called up. Where is Friedel? Why isn't he being called up anymore? Where is Sanneh? Where is O'Brien?

They wanted to call Friedel up but the people at the airport in Boston sent him back to England becuase they thought his American passport was fake after they heard him talk.

Actually, there is no point to calling Friedel up if he isn't going to start. He's not going to call 3 keepers up from abroad. I don't really see why we even called up Keller for this match but I guess he wanted to bring in a backup keeper with experience. Howard is the future so he's letting him play since he's the most likely to play in 2006.

O'Brien is never healthy. We don't even bother with him being called up anymore. I don't think he has played for the US since the last World Cup.

Sanneh recently signed with the Crew. Either Bruce isn't calling him up because Sanneh is injured (I don't know if he is or isn't but he usually is) or because he wants to let Sanneh get settled with his new club who are playing today. Sanneh is worthy of getting called up because he is experienced. He has had lots of injury problems and isn't the player he was 2 years ago. He still has some skill and lots of experience so I can see him getting called up in the future.

Should be an easy game for the U.S.

3-0

iceblizzard69 said:
They wanted to call Friedel up but the people at the airport in Boston sent him back to England becuase they thought his American passport was fake after they heard him talk.

Actually, there is no point to calling Friedel up if he isn't going to start. He's not going to call 3 keepers up from abroad. I don't really see why we even called up Keller for this match but I guess he wanted to bring in a backup keeper with experience. Howard is the future so he's letting him play since he's the most likely to play in 2006.

O'Brien is never healthy. We don't even bother with him being called up anymore. I don't think he has played for the US since the last World Cup.

Sanneh recently signed with the Crew. Either Bruce isn't calling him up because Sanneh is injured (I don't know if he is or isn't but he usually is) or because he wants to let Sanneh get settled with his new club who are playing today. Sanneh is worthy of getting called up because he is experienced. He has had lots of injury problems and isn't the player he was 2 years ago. He still has some skill and lots of experience so I can see him getting called up in the future.

Friedel is the US's #1 keeper that is why he should be called up. Also, O'Brien and Sanneh although injury prone should also be called up because they are both good players. Sanneh played in that friendly not too long ago and did very well.

Prime Time said:
Friedel is the US's #1 keeper that is why he should be called up. Also, O'Brien and Sanneh although injury prone should also be called up because they are both good players. Sanneh played in that friendly not too long ago and did very well.

Friedel is not the USA's #1 anymore. If he was, he would play for us. He has only been called up a few times in the last 2 years. He isn't even relevant to US soccer anymore. There is a reason why Friedel doesn't get called up. He's good, but he's old and isn't part of the future. Howard has proven in the last year that he's the better keeper and that is who we are using now.

I already explained why Sanneh didn't get called up. O'Brien is never healthy so why would we call up injured players?

I liked the roster for this team. We called up one guy we never called up before (Onyewu) and a bunch of other young players who haven't gotten lots of call ups (Gaven, Johnson, Ching). We also called up most of our best players (Donovan, Beasley, Bocanegra) and some guys with experience as well even though they aren't key parts of the team (Jones.)

Oh yeah, and we won 2-0. What a surprise. :rolleyes2 We are now going to play Panama in Panama on Wednesday. We are using the same roster.

Who scored??? I missed the game damn it!

The USA tied Panama 1-1 yesterday. :shakeno: Cobi Jones scored a goal in extra time to secure the point. I can't believe we couldn't win against freaking Panama!

iceblizzard69 said:
The USA tied Panama 1-1 yesterday. :shakeno: Cobi Jones scored a goal in extra time to secure the point. I can't believe we couldn't win against freaking Panama!

Panama could had easily won.

Panama lately has been a tough team in weak CONCAAF.

Yeah I cannot believe they tied Panama...Panama deserved to win but they didn't. Man, US needs to step it up the rest of the way. Nice to see Cobi Jones scored though.

Prime Time said:
Yeah I cannot believe they tied Panama...Panama deserved to win but they didn't. Man, US needs to step it up the rest of the way. Nice to see Cobi Jones scored though.

I was upset when Cobi Jones was called up to the Jamaica game. I thought it was a waste. However, he has been pretty solid off the bench in qualifying so far.

Canada's World Cup dream is all but dead. 1 pt from three matches isn't going to cut it. Only taking maximum points from here on out will get them in, IMO, which looke VERY VERY VERY unlikely at the moment.

Can someone please post the U.S NT T.V schedule?

Bodz that game against Honduras was ATROCIOUS refereeing...
No way did Watson trip up the Honduras forward...The mexican referee was pulling for Honduras...
In other dubious decisions, my boy Drogba got carded for a dive against Villa, while it was clearly a trip...He did though show flashes of brillance I saw last year...

Back
Top Bottom