We are #2 in the NFL Fewest Points Allowed Since 1997 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

We are #2 in the NFL Fewest Points Allowed Since 1997

Thats an overrated stat, our D always manages to give up the points when we most need them not to.

Not to be negative, but it's probably worth adding that of those teams, Miami is the only one to not reach a Conference Championship Game. Tampa has twice, and won once (plus the Super Bowl), Baltimore has been there once, won, and won the Super Bowl, and the Pennsylvania teams have been there a combined five times, with no victories.

And thats for precisely the reason I stated above. For all the bashing our offense has gotten the last couple of years, the D has deserved almost equally as much. If you look back on recent years, you'll find our Defense often to blame for poor december records and play futility. 3 games that could've won us the division, or a playoff berth in the last 2 seasons:

@ Minnesota 2002
@ New England 2002
Philadelphia 2003

Sure in the grand scheme of things, more often then not the defense carried the offense, but when it comes to big games they should have garnered an equal amount of blame, ESPECIALLY considering the money those guys make.

MAYBE IF OUR OFFENSE .....................

Originally posted by Stamos
Thats an overrated stat, our D always manages to give up the points when we most need them not to.

WAS A LITTLE MORE PRODUCTIVE WE WOULDN'T NEED TO PITCH SHUTOUTS EVERY GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Re: MAYBE IF OUR OFFENSE .....................

Originally posted by welderpat

WAS A LITTLE MORE PRODUCTIVE WE WOULDN'T NEED TO PITCH SHUTOUTS EVERY GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gotta agree with that one. You really can't expect your D to be perfect EVERY game. Its not reasonable.

Re: Re: MAYBE IF OUR OFFENSE .....................

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

Gotta agree with that one. You really can't expect your D to be perfect EVERY game. Its not reasonable.

No, but I expect them to be GOOD when the season is on the line. Like against Philly at home on monday night. For all those blasting the offense, if not for them we lose the Dallas and Washington games. Sorry if I expect a defense of this "talent" to stop the Houston Texans at home. How bout that great 82 yard TD in OT against New England.

Last 2 weeks of 2002 they couldn't make an important stop for ****.

How dare I bash the Dolphins defense? afterall we have so many probowlers on that side of the ball. And considering the money those guys make, I'd expect them to perform alot better when there is something meaningful at stake.

Re: MAYBE IF OUR OFFENSE .....................

Shutouts? Holding Philly to under 24 would have won that game.

Next year when we have a quarterback

That throws more touchdowns than interceptions.
We will be more succesfull.
when feefee threw that pick in the pats game our season ended.

Re: Re: Re: MAYBE IF OUR OFFENSE .....................

Originally posted by Stamos

No, but I expect them to be GOOD when the season is on the line. Like against Philly at home on monday night. For all those blasting the offense, if not for them we lose the Dallas and Washington games. Sorry if I expect a defense of this "talent" to stop the Houston Texans at home. How bout that great 82 yard TD in OT against New England.

Last 2 weeks of 2002 they couldn't make an important stop for ****.

How dare I bash the Dolphins defense? afterall we have so many probowlers on that side of the ball. And considering the money those guys make, I'd expect them to perform alot better when there is something meaningful at stake.

I'm not lifting the D to heaven or bashing them. Simply saying that of the two teams, the defense held us in more games than the offense did. Its time to balance that out a bit. Both had let-downs....far more on the O side.

Re: Re: Re: Re: MAYBE IF OUR OFFENSE .....................

Originally posted by NavyFishFan

I'm not lifting the D to heaven or bashing them. Simply saying that of the two teams, the defense held us in more games than the offense did. Its time to balance that out a bit. Both had let-downs....far more on the O side.
:yes: I totally agree

It was poor personnel decisions that allowed us to be some dominant on one side of the ball and so feeble on the other. I just as easily like to be in the top 10 in scoring and scoring D - we do not need to be #1 or #2 to win a SB

Re: Next year when we have a quarterback

That throws more touchdowns than interceptions.
We will be more succesfull.
when feefee threw that pick in the pats game our season ended.

Our season ended monday night at home cause our defense couldn't get off the field.

Do you guys know how long miami's streak of not allowing a 100 yard rusher is? I know its at least 16 games, but what about last year?

Back
Top Bottom